• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New Huge Weather Warnings

Started by SugarRay, Monday Apr 30, 2007, 08:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenskingIV

I live in Kenosha (TW Cable) and at least when the milwaukee channels start running their weather junk I can turn on a Chicago ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, OR PBS and get the full screen. The channels aren't HD but at least i get a little relief. The Chicago channels very seldom ever run weather warnings. In Milwaukee if there is a dark cloud on the horizon you can be sure the weather warnings will run non stop.

Bebop

Everyone should just make a big cardboard cut of the weather warning logo and picket  around all the TV stations. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Absopo

Quote from: Bebop;39271Everyone should just make a big cardboard cut of the weather warning logo and picket  around all the TV stations. :)
Agreed!!!!!!

Mikey

Well, one beneift of summer-time storms is I hardly if ever watch local network TV during the summer as it is all crap or re-runs, so I don't have to suffer through the giant warnings.

On a hardly related note, I have noticed myself lately (now that TV season is over), my channel surfing lands on Mojo-TV alot lately.  Three Sheets is an awesome show and just makes me want to drink as I watch it.

:D

gparris

Quote from: greenskingIV;39262I live in Kenosha (TW Cable) and at least when the milwaukee channels start running their weather junk I can turn on a Chicago ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, OR PBS and get the full screen. The channels aren't HD but at least i get a little relief. The Chicago channels very seldom ever run weather warnings. In Milwaukee if there is a dark cloud on the horizon you can be sure the weather warnings will run non stop.

Agreed, the Chicago network channels like CBS2 come in the worst possible analogue (if there is such a thing) on the HDTVs, but there is nothing like the sort of warnings you get from Milwaukee stations, either.:D

gparris

Quote from: Mikey;39614Well, one beneift of summer-time storms is I hardly if ever watch local network TV during the summer as it is all crap or re-runs, so I don't have to suffer through the giant warnings.

On a hardly related note, I have noticed myself lately (now that TV season is over), my channel surfing lands on Mojo-TV alot lately.  Three Sheets is an awesome show and just makes me want to drink as I watch it.

:D

What? A TWC HD sub that actually still SUBSCRIBES to the HD package?

(I thought I was the only one left).:blush:

The network reruns are not watched, unless it conflicted with my HD DVR recordings (requiring three at the same time during the fall/winter/spring shows), but if the weather warnings from Milwaukee stations get bothersome, no loss...you're right.

I stick with Sci-Fi Channel, USA (4400, Dead Zone, Psych) amongst others that are non-standard network fare "cable" channels like you do - and the HD channels I find time to watch/record.;)

As for tornado warnings, unless there is one bearing down on me, I don't think the cable company cuts in for these, do they?

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: Mikey;39249Yeah, the weather season warnings are now upon us...again.  

It seems to me they have gotten larger.

I didn't realize so many legally blind people watch TV in SE Wisconsin.

My picture was cut by more than 50% of what it should have been in HD.

And to pre-empt the beginning of the show to tell us there is a t-storm warning?  What am I, retarded?  A graphic and a window aren't enough for me to deduct that it is raining outside and whatnot?

Bad form WTMJ.

Where do these weather prophets come from -- San Diego?  This is Wisconsin, and we DO have weather, and it changes, by cracky!  The over-promotion of fairly normal seasonal weather is disgusting.  If we could only watch the network feeds -- which will never happen, of course.  After all, if it rains and the wind blows, we'll survive.  Save the drama for something really wicked, such as a tornado warning or watch.

But, it isn't only the weather -- most of the local news is overblown, with these utterly silly photo ops -- outside of hospitals, jails, etc.  The intelligence level the local stations are aiming for is tragicly low.  Thank goodness for HBO, ESPN, Discovery, etc.

Stan

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

RLJSlick

Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

RLJSlick

They better not have this silly warning up through the whole NBA final game tonight!!!! The game look like !@$# with the screen smashed like that. I don't see anything on the radar that show we need to have this huge warning on 512!!!
Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: RLJSlick;39625They better not have this silly warning up through the whole NBA final game tonight!!!! The game look like !@$# with the screen smashed like that. I don't see anything on the radar that show we need to have this huge warning on 512!!!

Yes, during the entire NBA final, the weather warnings (largely for things that didn't happen) took up a third of 12-1's HD screen, not to mention the crawl, too.  

So, when the dust settled, there was 0.3 inches of rain on my rain gauge in Milwaukee County; there have been a few reports about uprooted trees; 18,000 people without power for some time period; tornados somewhere in the State with no fatalities; and, pleased to report, Toto and her mistress, Dorothy, are still in Kansas!

Stan

Mikey

Quote from: RLJSlick;39625They better not have this silly warning up through the whole NBA final game tonight!!!! The game look like !@$# with the screen smashed like that. I don't see anything on the radar that show we need to have this huge warning on 512!!!

Oh I was ****ed off!

Lets take a gander at what we HD watchers were given for game one of the NBA finals last night.

It SHOULD have been a nice 16:9 HD image of a glorious sport to watch in HD.

Instead, the 16:9 was shrunk down to 4:3.  THEN, the 4:3 was further pushed off to the right of that already reduced image to allow 25% of THAT screen to have the weather warning for the legally blind to see.

So, in conclusion, I was able to watch the game at about the 55% of the size it should have been, and not in high definition...and distorted so everyone looked like stick figures.

Awesome.

RLJSlick

I was so mad I wrote a very nasty email to WISN, about their use of weather warnings, and how the kid crying wolf once too many times, and no one payed attention after that. Makes no sense. End up watching the game on Channel 7 in Chicago.

By the way Mikey I love that avatar, my wife and I took the New Glarus beer tour last year. Ummm!
Spotted Cow is the 'bestest' beer in the world!!! LOL!
Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD