• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Road Runner speed issues/updates?

Started by shimmer11, Friday Mar 09, 2007, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shimmer11

Is anyone else having download issues with their Road Runneer?  I am in the Waukesha WI area.  Also, is TW going to upgrade the RR speeds?

-Andy

oz

My RR modem has been rebooting itself randomly for months now.  I was going to get it replaced but two of my friends said the same thing is happening with their modems.  Also, in the last couple of days I have had to reset my router for some reason. I think RR is having problems.

markd

FWIW, I know it doesn't really help you out but I have had no problems with RR and no rebooting as of late.  I sometimes have to reboot my router once every few months and I think I have done it once in 2007 already but I'm not positive.  I also have digital phone service so maybe we're talking about different style modems too!?

Chinatown

My Brother, an Appraiser, routinely sends large e mails to his customer base. Year or so ago, he switched from Road Runner, as the price had become prohibitive. Has been with SBC ( now AT&T). He sees no difference in speed and saves $20.00 + per month.

markd

Quote from: Chinatown;38297Has been with SBC ( now AT&T). He sees no difference in speed and saves $20.00 + per month.

That's debatable and also depends on where you live.  From a service standpoint, I used to do freelance support as a side business of mine (and am still in IT today) and have come across several SBC users who get nothing close to their advertised speeds.  TW also has some great contract deals for business customers.  I'm happy with the pricing, package and business class service I get because of my employer.  Seriously though, it's not hard to find problems with any service.  Many people hate TWC and many people hate SBC.

-mark

shimmer11

Well, my download speeds seemed to have gotten back to normal.  I wonder if it was just a maintenance thing last night.

Does anyone know of any "speed" upgrades from TW Road Runner that they are doing to offset possible Uverse competition.  I have heard a couple of rumors from web posts at broadbandreports.com.

-Andy

Bebop

Quote from: shimmer11;38304Well, my download speeds seemed to have gotten back to normal.  I wonder if it was just a maintenance thing last night.

Does anyone know of any "speed" upgrades from TW Road Runner that they are doing to offset possible Uverse competition.  I have heard a couple of rumors from web posts at broadbandreports.com.

-Andy

We wouldn't see any kind of upgrade until U-verse is widely available.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

brewtownska

I too had some issues with my Roadrunner on Friday during the day.  It didn't go out for a long period of time, but it would cut in and out in 1-2 minute intervals.  Thought it was a slow computer at first, but then the other computer in the house wouldn't get a connection either.  Router didn't show any issues.  I rebooted the modem, and things worked right away, but then cut out again as expected.  By mid/late afternoon, I didn't notice issues anymore.  Gone from 5:30pm-1:30am, so can't vouch for that time.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

tencom

If your having problems with any of TWC digital services, such as random dropouts it maybe a problem with signal levels as related to signal to noise ratio. Since TWC maximum digital signal to noise ratio is only sbout 32 to 34 Decibels and the average could be below that and the threshold for the QAM 256 standard is about 28 Decibels you can see that is not a very large margin. Any small loss such as to many devices connected to the cable can cause enough loss to go below the 28 DB threshold every time you split the signal causes a loss of signal I had a signal drop off problem and TWC technician discovered one of the extender line amplifiers  required an adjustment because it was not delivering enough signal.

Mark Strube

Boy how I wouldn't mind a step-up... in both RR speed and HD channel selection.

Bebop

The price isn't bad either. 6Mb down and 1Mb up for only $35 bundled price.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

krauts

i had a problem with my RR last week with download speeds around 25kb. Pretty sucky. I called tech support and the guy ended up setting up a service call. Two days later they came out and replaced the  splitter in the basement with a powered model for up to 8 connections and then replaced the modem. After all that, the speed test showed as advertised around 5 megs in my area (west of plymouth)

He also said depending on who you get, some people say TW is only setup for four connections per house and not everyone would've put in the powered splitter.

He also stated they were seeing people leave for the new AT&T setup.