News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Goodbye 50" Sony XBR1, Hello 50" A2020

Started by Mark Strube, Saturday Mar 03, 2007, 03:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

So after trying to replace the optics in my SXRD 3 different times, for various issues including inconsistent color and black levels, I got the "magic ticket" if you will. I can go to any Best Buy, and pick any "comparable" 50" HDTV. Now, I may be able to get larger than 50" if it's the same or less in price when compared to the latest 50" model of my tv, but I might have to wheel & deal for that, so there's a chance I might be stuck at 50".

I'm looking for recommendations! The only requirements (for me) is that it must be a full 1080p display and able to accept a 1080p signal, and able to sit on a stand, so no TV's with those crazy built-in stands like some of the Samsungs. Also, it must be VERY close in picture quality to the SXRD, if not better.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Samsung DLP's. Another option of course is the latest Sony model, either the XBR2 or the A2000, but I don't know if I want to trust them anymore.

murdoc

Well I and a few friends I have all have Samsung 720p DLPs.  I cannot say enough about the picture quality.  Now I haven't compared them to the Sony you had, but I think they are about even from what I've heard.  I've had my tv now for over 3 years and am still on the original bulb.  Some people experience rainbows, so you may want to give them a good look at the store before you buy.  Good luck.

BTW, what made you decided to ditch the Sony?  The reviews I've seen are all phenomenal for that set.

Bebop

I haven't checked the latest price on the 46+"1080P  LCDs yet. But it might be worth upgrading to.

Some of the JVCs RPT use the same technology as Sony's SXRD.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Mark Strube

Quote from: murdoc;38159BTW, what made you decided to ditch the Sony?  The reviews I've seen are all phenomenal for that set.

Well it was the tech's choice to let me pick a new set, since they've tried to fix it 3 times, and would've had to a 4th time.

I just came back from Best Buy, I'm getting it replaced with a Sony 50" A2020, which isn't technically "released" by Sony until March 15. Also SXRD, same features as my tv, except no cable card (but that's getting outdated anyways).

I have 30 days, so if there's problems or I decide I don't like it for some reason, I can get a different one.

Now here's something I REALLY didn't like. Once you get the TV replaced outside of the manufacturer's 1 year warranty, Best Buy considers your extended service plan fulfilled, and ended. I had to purchase another 4-year plan for $400 for this new set. I would've debated it more in the store, but they seemed pretty sure about it... and now that I read the fine print of the policy, that's what I agreed to.

gparris

My understanding is the A20 series SXRD sets have had some problems, but if these suffered the same batch of problems as the XBR1 sets had with their optical blocks, Sony would not have launched these A2020 series.
The A2020 are the A2000 in all-black, which seems to have become more popular among many of my clients.
Black doesn't need touchup paint like silver, doesn't "shine" or reflect light back on you in some lighting situations and so on - this is what I'm told/observed.
Some setups with darker wood the client picks on a set without silver so it doesn't look "cheap" to them or as "high-tech" to the spouse aka WAF (wife acceptance factor).
Hope your set works great, it has a smaller form factor, two 1080p HDMI ports and everytime I see it in the stores, it looks fantastic.
Whatever BB did for you, my CC comparison is about the same, though if you had some ext warranty left on the CC purchase, it would have rolled over onto the new set, but that is what they have done for my folks.

Paul S.

I laugh at you Mark- I remember when my probs started and you were saying 'mines fine!' lol My replacement set from last March is taking a sh1t on its optical block and the warranty is out- I hopped on the class action lawsuit. This may very well be the last Sony set I EVER buy.:mad:

RCNUT

Hey Mark,
I bought a sony 70" XBR2 11/28/07 along with the extended warranty and really like it. I have had some minor green blob's from time to time, but they seam to go away after a few min's. I have talked to the retail store I bought it from, not BB, CC or American. They are saying that in some cases it's the coating on the bulb and if possible to give it a little time as it will change.  Green blob or not it is a fantastic picture.  I can tell no more  green in the picture compared to my 42" LG plasma. I just played Ice age the melt down on a panny blu-ray and wow. The picture is just about 3d or even liquid.
Before buying the sony I read a lot of the AV forums on this set and if sony was given enough of a hassle from the customer, sony was replacing the XBR1 with an updated XBR2. I understand that this is a BB replacement. Something to think about or maybe investigate.
Enjoy!!!

AndrewP

I have A200 50" Sony SXRD and Mitsubishi 831 65" DLP. Both are 1080p.
HD is excellent on both. SD channels from Dish Network are excellent, I mean excellent, on Sony. Mitsubishi SD PQ is so-so.
Sony we bought as a second TV, Mitsubishi - we were lucky enough to buy 5 year warranty at Colders with Hitachi 61" rear projection in 2001. They could not fix sound problems in November 2006(two weeks before warranty expiration date) with that TV and offered an exchange. So, I selected Mitsubishi.
I decided against flat panels because the living room will look ugly empty:-)
So if size is not a matter for you, then I recommend Sony A200 model. Because of excellent SD upconvert.

Mark Strube

Quote from: Paul S.;38184I laugh at you Mark- I remember when my probs started and you were saying 'mines fine!' lol My replacement set from last March is taking a sh1t on its optical block and the warranty is out- I hopped on the class action lawsuit. This may very well be the last Sony set I EVER buy.:mad:

Well that's not very nice to say, is it.

The issue I had with it ever since I first bought it was a very slight blue light leak in the lower right corner, with splotchy black levels in that same area. I'm sure I've mentioned that before. Only when they were installing the replacement optical blocks did I start to have color uniformity issues.

gparris

Mark Strube: I don't think Paul S. was trying to make you feel bad, just that anytime anyone says their HDTV is working fine (or car, etc.) they open up some charma, so to speak, that can doom them, which you did I suppose.:D
(I'm not saying ANYTHING about how my SXRD is doing).

Here is hoping your new, slick 50A2020 in all-black is a "keeper" and you look at avsforums threads for setups that may assist you to max out its excellent picture.:)

As far as SONY sets go, I have 3 of them and the oldest set is still holding its own since 2001.:blush:

Mark Strube

I'm loving it so far, been tweaking it for a little bit. The picture is noticeably smoother, and appears to have at least slightly better contrast than i ever saw on an XBR1. I've heard this has most of the same "guts" as the XBR1's and 2's, but they've clearly refined some of it... if not the hardware, then the firmware that runs it. The video processing circuitry is clearly doing a better job than the XBR1, details are stunning, and analog/digital SD is a little more bearable too.

flash

Quote from: Mark Strube;38164Now here's something I REALLY didn't like. Once you get the TV replaced outside of the manufacturer's 1 year warranty, Best Buy considers your extended service plan fulfilled, and ended. I had to purchase another 4-year plan for $400 for this new set. I would've debated it more in the store, but they seemed pretty sure about it... and now that I read the fine print of the policy, that's what I agreed to.

Don't believe what they tell you in the store!!!!

I've had several laptops replaced with the lemon warranty and the store each time told me that I wouldn't get any money back. I sent letters with copies of my receipt showing my extended warranty
the their warranty center demanding a "prorated remainder" refund and they sent me check in the mail.
The store always said it wouldn't work but the warranty center (Minnesota I think) sent me the money.

Give it a shot because it's worth the price of a stamp to try.;)

Paul S.

Quote from: RCNUT;38185I have had some minor green blob's from time to time, but they seam to go away after a few min's. I have talked to the retail store I bought it from, not BB, CC or American. They are saying that in some cases it's the coating on the bulb and if possible to give it a little time as it will change.  Green blob or not it is a fantastic picture.

Thats the biggest pile of ass I have ever smelled. If you believe that, I'll sell you my SXRD- the green blob in mine means there's a money machine in it! :D They want you to give it time so your warranty expires and you're ass-out. There have been 0 reports of the defect 'improving' over time.

Quote from: gparris;38213Mark Strube: I don't think Paul S. was trying to make you feel bad, just that anytime anyone says their HDTV is working fine (or car, etc.) they open up some charma, so to speak, that can doom them, which you did I suppose.:D
(I'm not saying ANYTHING about how my SXRD is doing).

You are 100% correct. (you do need your eyes checked, dude lol)

sp44again

Mark, how's the A2020 treating ya? Looking to replace my old Mits CRT.

Mark Strube

Not a problem. The picture on it is definitely more impressive than my XBR1, it seems to be more detailed... even though both are 1080p, I guess it has improved processing. Note however that the 480i/480p upscaling isn't quite as good as the XBR1's, but I have a nice upscaling DVD player, and the 8300HD does a good job with non-1080i channels. This is an extremely BRIGHT set as well... under normal viewing conditions in a medium-lighted room, no sunlight, I have power saving mode on, iris on min, and contrast at 84. It's rare you'd ever need to turn power saving mode off, which is a good thing, I'd assume it might extend your lamp life (as long as you don't turn the set on & off 6 times a day).

If you end up getting this hdtv, these settings worked out perfect for me:

http://reviews.cnet.com/9601-4_7-0-4.html?messageID=2506536

I ended up with the same exact brightness setting as them when I used the HDNet Test Pattern (same with HDMI and Component), so I just used the rest of their settings as well... looks great.