• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Navigator Software on 8300HD

Started by LuckySe7ens, Tuesday Feb 13, 2007, 04:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuckySe7ens

It seems like this software is going to neuter the functionality of the box... for instance, from the FAQ on the time warner website:

QuoteDo I have control over setting program recording priorities?
No. The DVR gives highest priority to the most current request made, which usually means that requests are filled as they are made. To make sure that a particular program records in the event of a tuner conflict, delete any old requests for that program and re-submit a request. This will make it your "most recent request" and make it the highest priority request, ensuring it is recorded first.

Say what?  Worst-case scenario, say I have 20 series scheduled, and I want to reverse the priority of them.  I have to delete and re-add all 20 series (ok, technically I can get away with deleting and re-adding 19 of them, but that's not the point).

QuoteHow do I record programs on a specific channel for a pre-determined block of time?
The TWC Navigatorâ„¢ does not allow for recording by blocks of time. You must set the unit to record each show separately.

What?  No manual recordings?

QuoteHow long will a program display in the Recording Log?
All programs that have been recorded will remain in the Recording Log for 14 days. Deleted programs or programs that did not record will also be listed on the log for the same period. The Recording Log contains data about:

* Programs that did not record due to a recording conflict.
    * Programs that did not record because there was no space available on the disk.
    * Programs that were recorded but deleted by the user.
    * Programs that were recorded and then deleted to make room for new recordings.

How can I access the amount of space left on my DVR?
This version of the TWC Navigatorâ„¢ does not provide an alert that shows the amount space left on your DVR. The Recording Log will let you know that the show failed to record due to lack of available space. You will then need to delete some shows to make space for new recordings.

This is the one that scares me the most... they don't make it clear if old shows automatically fall off the bottom of the stack, as is true with the current software, or if I actually have to periodically delete shows manually in order to make room for new recordings.  If the latter case is true, not knowing the amount of free space I need to free just furthers this nightmare.

Has anyone seen this software in use on a DVR box, and just how bad is it?

gparris

So far, no one has noted Navigator use on the DVRs, just the STBs without.
Nebraska-TWC  did a complete rollout  using full-blown Navigator on all STBs, to the complete disgust of the TWC subscribers there...big surprise.

So if this is the "future" for TWC subs...hopefully we in TWC-Milwaukeeland are not so much the "guinea pigs" as they are those in Nebraska here, so maybe software bugs will be gone by then.

My understanding is that TWC thinks making its own programming software is better using Navigator end result being that it doesn't have to wait for Aptiv to add things, as I understand it:
TWC can customize and so on on their own terms, this being perhaps the "excuse" for having Navigator vs. keeping Passport or Sara (on other systems).

If TWC doesn't get their "act together" soon with debugging the Navigator software, most of us will WANT to be Comcast subs (see this thread) as they are soon to be getting Tivo-based DVRs, or so I hear.:D

LowSignal

Everything will work out, don't get you panties up in a bunch in anticipation of a disaster. .

gparris

Quote from: LowSignal;37659Everything will work out, don't get you panties up in a bunch in anticipation of a disaster. .

Maybe, but so far the forum members with Navigator that don't have DVRs, just standard boxes, aren't having any fun with it so far....and I DON'T WEAR PANTIES!:D

flash

Does anyone know when the caller ID will function on our TV's?
I get the "All in One" package and I see that their advertizing it on TV so why can't I get the ID?

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: flash;37702Does anyone know when the caller ID will function on our TV's?
I get the "All in One" package and I see that their advertizing it on TV so why can't I get the ID?
It apparently is out only on the NON-DVR boxes.  I have it a couple weeks on my Bedroom TV (lot of good that does...nobody calls after 10pm at night, but it does keep a history so I know it's working and I called from my cellphone just to check it out).  My DVR in the family room still doesn't have it, and to tell you the truth if it takes the new firmware that's running my bedroom box, I don't want it.  Very clumsy interface and I miss a lot of features the old firmware had.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

mhz40

Quote from: LuckySe7ens;37650Has anyone seen this software in use on a DVR box, and just how bad is it?

I've been using it on a DVR.  Other than the program search function, I really don't have any big issues with it and don't miss the old Pioneer interface.  Like many have reported here, I too had weird intermittent problems with audio and video on the Pioneer platform.  IMO, the Navigator seems stable in that regard.  Therefore I'd say the loss of a few functions is a welcome trade off --- as I watch and listen way more than I interact with the GUI.
As I mentioned, the biggest disappointment for me is trying to find programs... I don't think the issue is specific to the DVR code either.  IMO, the search results are simply overwhelming; making it difficult to determine which shows are currently running vs which are coming up hours or days away.  I wish there was a 'filter' option or an icon next to each event to show programs currently 'live'.  Maybe it's there is there and I haven't found it.  I pretty much gave up trying after using the search feature several times. :o

Gregg Lengling

Does it still have the problem that my 3250 has, when in the guide mode and you want to jump way ahead and put in a non-existant channel number does it just give you ???'s.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

mhz40

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;37718Does it still have the problem that my 3250 has, when in the guide mode and you want to jump way ahead and put in a non-existant channel number does it just give you ???'s.
Wow... I've never tried that until now!  In the Pioneer environment, I used the 'A' button to jump to the next highest block of channels and 'paged down' from there.
If I followed your example correctly, the guide simply ignores the erroneous channel selection.  I have to believe this is not specific to the type of set top.  Maybe someone without a DVR and who already has been upgraded can verify this function.