News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

1080i dark compared to 720p

Started by pauljak, Wednesday Nov 29, 2006, 09:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljak

I'm wondering if anybody else notices that 1080i signals appear darker than 720p signals?  I'm using the TWC Channel Guide as my reference point.  On 720p channels the guide is bright and easy to read but when I'm on a 1080i channel the guide is dark and kind of "dingy".  Even the lettering seems to be "fuzzy."  When I force all output to 720p the channel guide and the shows appear more virbrant.  I've used the optimization DVD's in the past to set black levels, etc. and I understand that the optimal setup is a darker image than what the set is delivered as, I'm just perplexed by the difference in the two signals.  

My setup is TWC, SA8300HD-DVR, Sony KV-34HS510.  I'm using the DVI output on the SA8300HD-DVR with a converter to the HDMI input on the TV.

This will sound bad, but I'm not sure if this is a recent change or something that may have happened gradually over time.  As I think back, I've thought that a particular show may have been dark, but not the whole thing.  I just recently noticed the difference with the channel guide.

Thanks,
Paul

picopir8

I have not noticed any difference between 1080i or 720p using the SA8300HD's component output.  I had used the SA8300HD w/ component out with both my 1024x768 projector and my 42" 1080p LCD monitor. Both 1080i and 720p content came through fine with no noticable differences.