• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Wal-Mart Drops HDTV Prices

Started by Gregg Lengling, Thursday Nov 09, 2006, 02:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

First Salvo in Holiday Pricing War
Rather than wait for Black Friday later this month—when many high-definition TV sets are expected to be offered widely at drastically reduced prices—mammoth retailer Wal-Mart conducted a pre-emptive strike on holiday pricing wars by cutting prices on HD sets earlier this week.The sale prices, valid through Dec. 31, include a cost for Panasonic's 42-inch HD plasma TV of $1,294, down from $1,794.

http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=389
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Blitzburgh

WOW... That is nice for the Panasonic 42"

FeedingFrenzy

Agreed,

Looks like the Model 42PX60U.  Which seems to have gotten some descent reviews.  Anyone have one?

Bebop

Great PQ when viewing well lighted scenes. But, the picture can look odd sometimes in dark scenes. Maybe it's a draw back inherent to plasmas.

If I had to do it again I would get something else.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

MarkK

I have the step-up model - the TH42-PX600U.  (it has better sound, PIP, different bezel & stand, PC input, cable card, TVGuide Onscreen, & better calibration options on service menus, but is otherwise identical)  I love it, but I'm hardly unbiased, as it is my first HDTV.  But from what I've read on multiple sites, particularly Consumer Reports and avsforum, this set is the best, especially in this price range.  My set in particular was top-rated by C.R. in both the 42- and 50-inch sizes, and the 60U was just a notch below.  On avsforum, probably the Runcos and the Fujitsus are tops (but very pricey), followed closely by Panasonic and Pioneer (again, a more expensive option).  And now with this price drop, I don't think you could go wrong with the Panny!

I love having a cable card, which frees me from the cable box and saves ~$5/month, along with the TVGOS.

One thing I wouldn't mind having is a separate antenna input - that way I could switch to viewing OTA signals when so inclined, but now that I have TWC's Digital Access Package, I don't even miss that.

As for dark scenes on broadcast TV, well I've just turned up the brightness setting, and I see the details just fine.  (I calibrate DVD, VCR, & TV signals separately by assigning them to "Cinema", "Normal" and "Vivid" modes, which assignments the TV remembers.)

Tom Snyder

Best Buy is advertising the 42PX6OU for $999 on the day after Thanksgiving. It's  is listed on their site as being an item not in their newspaper ad.  5 per store.. no rainchecks
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

markd

I'd hate to be someone actually hoping to get one of those sets on Black Friday though Tom ;)

LoadStar

Careful with depending on any BF deal information you might find on the internet... due to the Minimum Markup Law, the best deals aren't being offered in Wisconsin.

WISN News tonight did a story about this, pointing out the price for one plasma TV Wal-Mart is offering is $200 higher in Wisconsin than Illinois.

jkane

Got this in my RSS news feed today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wisn/20061122/lo_wisn/10375393

"Among the most drastic price differences was a plasma television that will sell for $1,164 in Wisconsin but sells for just $988 in Illinois."