• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

AT&T Plans HD Rollout

Started by Gregg Lengling, Thursday Oct 26, 2006, 03:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Hi-Def U-verse Service Debut Planned for Q4
AT&T is moving forward with plans to offer high-definition video service by the end of the year, the company announced this week. The nation's largest telecommunications company said it will debut an HD version of its U-verse video service in 15 markets by the end of the year. The HD service will debut in test markets San Antonio and Houston, where the 3,000 subscribers will be upgraded next month.

http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=366
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

flash

QuoteThe service is bundled with high-speed Internet and costs $69 to $124 per month. It's not yet clear whether HD will require an extra charge.

Sounds intriguing. I would love to have fiber directly to my house. Huge internet speeds, tons of HD channel options and a phone to boot.

I'm currently on the TWC All In One package which is only $125 (including my HD DVR, phone and high speed internet)

I just wonder if the bundled package that ATT is including phone service. I'm sure the competition wouldn't hurt our own little corner of the world to drop pricing and give us more options.:cool:

kevbeck122

AT&T U-verse isn't fiber to the home.  The fiber is closer to homes, but it's still DSL over old copper lines after that.  Internet speeds as of now are still the same as what they offer for current DSL packages.  That's why I wish we were in a Verizon area.  FiOS is much better as far as HD offerings and bandwidth offerings.

Bebop

HD is $10 extra. I think you are allowed maximum of 4 channels into the house at any one time (bandwidth is limited).

Competition is good.

http://www.sbc.com/Uverse/files/compare_offers.html

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LoadStar

Quote from: kevbeck122;35602AT&T U-verse isn't fiber to the home.  The fiber is closer to homes, but it's still DSL over old copper lines after that.  Internet speeds as of now are still the same as what they offer for current DSL packages.  That's why I wish we were in a Verizon area.  FiOS is much better as far as HD offerings and bandwidth offerings.

Unless it's changed, it could be either FTTN (Fiber To The Node) or FTTP (Fiber To The Premises) depending on if it's an "overbuild" (replacement of existing infrastructure) or a new buildout, respectively.

I believe I read somewhere that the new subdivisions in Pabst Farms are all FTTP ready.

Tom Snyder

Village of Jackson is requiring all new developments to be FTTP...something that the Metropolitan Builder's Association is fighting tooth and nail.  

Won't do us any good in town of Jackson where it's still copper. Although it's clean copper, (AT&T was able to get me a clean 3 Mbps DSL connection 16000 feet from the CO, and with a remote terminal going up soon, they promised me 6 Mbps when that's done), I can't imagine how they could get enough bandwidth for an HD signal.

BTW... the good news is that my 3 meg DSL is only $19.95 a month.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;35592Hi-Def U-verse Service Debut Planned for Q4
AT&T is moving forward with plans to offer high-definition video service by the end of the year, the company announced this week. The nation's largest telecommunications company said it will debut an HD version of its U-verse video service in 15 markets by the end of the year. The HD service will debut in test markets San Antonio and Houston, where the 3,000 subscribers will be upgraded next month.

http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=366

Quote from: flash;35600Sounds intriguing. I would love to have fiber directly to my house. Huge internet speeds, tons of HD channel options and a phone to boot.

I'm currently on the TWC All In One package which is only $125 (including my HD DVR, phone and high speed internet)

I just wonder if the bundled package that ATT is including phone service. I'm sure the competition wouldn't hurt our own little corner of the world to drop pricing and give us more options.:cool:

Quote from: kevbeck122;35602AT&T U-verse isn't fiber to the home.  The fiber is closer to homes, but it's still DSL over old copper lines after that.  Internet speeds as of now are still the same as what they offer for current DSL packages.  That's why I wish we were in a Verizon area.  FiOS is much better as far as HD offerings and bandwidth offerings.

Quote from: Bebop;35603HD is $10 extra. I think you are allowed maximum of 4 channels into the house at any one time (bandwidth is limited).

Competition is good.

http://www.sbc.com/Uverse/files/compare_offers.html

Quote from: LoadStar;35604Unless it's changed, it could be either FTTN (Fiber To The Node) or FTTP (Fiber To The Premises) depending on if it's an "overbuild" (replacement of existing infrastructure) or a new buildout, respectively.

I believe I read somewhere that the new subdivisions in Pabst Farms are all FTTP ready.

Quote from: Tom Snyder;35607Village of Jackson is requiring all new developments to be FTTP...something that the Metropolitan Builder's Association is fighting tooth and nail.  

Won't do us any good in town of Jackson where it's still copper. Although it's clean copper, (AT&T was able to get me a clean 3 Mbps DSL connection 16000 feet from the CO, and with a remote terminal going up soon, they promised me 6 Mbps when that's done), I can't imagine how they could get enough bandwidth for an HD signal.

That's about 2 bucks less than I pay for my 5 meg cable connection, not bad at all.

BTW...I thought I'd show a neat new feature of 3.62 with multi-quote.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Tom Snyder

QuoteThat's about 2 bucks less than I pay for my 5 meg cable connection, not bad at all.

Especially considering that the CSR for Charter told me that a 5 meg cable would be $62 a month. I don't know if that's right or not, but they don't offer digital phone by us, and with DirecTV's exponentially better picture quality on non-HD channels over cable, that sealed my decision to not even run cable in to the house.
Tom Snyder

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: Tom Snyder;35609Especially considering that the CSR for Charter told me that a 5 meg cable would be $62 a month. I don't know if that's right or not, but they don't offer digital phone by us, and with DirecTV's exponentially better picture quality on non-HD channels over cable, that sealed my decision to not even run cable in to the house.

I thought Charter had updated in most areas to all digital delivery availability??? Guess not your area.....I guess it's sort of like being a Ham Radio operator....when choosing a home location we always look at "antenna and tower rules".  Now we have to look at Telco and Cable access and options also.......
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Tom Snyder

To get this thread back on track:

You knew that the government would find a way to use this to generate more dollars in their greedy pockets:

"If U-Verse is cable television service, municipal leaders believe it must operate under franchises that require cable TV companies to pay part of their revenue to local governments and to provide channels for governments, schools and public access..."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=521662
Tom Snyder

flash

I still hope that it is made available because it would give some home owners and businesses more options than TWC for their particular needs. I'm all for competition which in turn gives consumers more options and usually is a benefit.
If it wasn't for Firefox IE wouldn't be upgrading to 7.0 so soon.
I just wish that Blu Ray and HD DVD could have come to terms on a standard......now most of us will have to wait for Holo disc or some other technology that's around the corner.

tazman

I had gotten a little inside tip about a year ago, that West Bend will one of the first communities in my area to get fiber to the home.  Speeds will be increamental starting at 25Mb then 50 and finaly topping out at 75Mb.  So I guess with that band width and new compression algorithyms, thats where you'll get didtal TV programming over the phone lines.

What is kind of strange is that the fiber backbone runs down the road that my subdivision is off of.  Earlier this summer WASS cable and boring was running new cable into and through my subdivision and into the new subdivision going up behind me.  I spoke to the foreman from WASS and he told me that they were burying copper and not fiber, BUT I could have fiber to my home from the pedistal:confused:  GO FIGURE!  I am still waiting for SBC or I should say ATT to come in and do the final hook ups to the new pedistals.  Then I will finaly be able to get DSL.  ATT is also supposed to adding new switches closer to my subdivision as well.  Hence the future avialibility of getting DSL.

tazman

Quote from: Tom Snyder;35607Village of Jackson is requiring all new developments to be FTTP...something that the Metropolitan Builder's Association is fighting tooth and nail.  

You must be petty close to the Village to get DSL.  I'm over here just east of the fair grounds and we can't get it as of yet.

AndrewP

I could not wait anymore for ATT to provide DSL, so first I called cable and asked to adjust $44.95 RR bill to $34.95. Then ordered SunRocket VOIP service for $99 per year and cancelled ATT. That is more then $50/mont savings. Sunrocket works great for now.
As for DTV I will be able to evaluate this option next year if they will actually deliver HD. Right now I am happy with Dish

hormy_83

Hey I wanted to bring this back up again.  Since TW is taking away our INHD2 and not replacing it I was considering replacing them.  

I heard on the HT Guys pod cast on Friday that a guy in Texas has AT&T's U-Verse and is able to RECORD 4 shows at once and has 4 local HD channels and 24 HD national channels.  There are also 2 more national HD's that he doesn't get - I'm guessing HBO and Cinemax...  But it would be worth considering if all this is true - as the pricing looks a tad bit better than TW - and they give you a ton more HD content.

Even if he was mistaken about recording 4 shows and it is just the fact that they only allow 4 channels to be on at the same time in the same house due to bandwidth it still isn't that bad of a deal.  Anyone else considering U-Verse sometime soon?