News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DT OTA Reception Issues

Started by Temmek, Monday Oct 09, 2006, 09:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Temmek

Help!  This is probably an impossible task, but after reading these forums for over a year, I figure if you all can't help, no one can.

Here's the situation:

I live downtown Milwaukee (like four blocks from the new University Club Tower).  My apartment is in a seven-story, 50-unit building - I'm on the second floor (i.e. - quite a ways from the antenna and probably several splits down).  The building has an antenna on the roof with a old push-on style terminal in each unit.  I have a Dell 4200 TV for what it's worth.

I currently have TWC, but want to drop it (I can't justify $70/month for the three shows I watch on cable), so I'm trying to pick up the signals OTA.  I'm not having much luck.

I can get every station - but only a handful at a time.  What I can receive at any given time seems to be determined by the path of the cable running to my TV (for example, I can get CBS 58 if the cable runs over my couch, but not if it runs behind my couch), my location in the room, whether or not I'm holding the cable by the terminal, and probably the location of the stars and the alignment of the planets.  For example, I can receive TMJ if I lean back in my chair (sometimes), but not if I sit upright (ever).   :bang:

I've tried no end of combinations:  Cable running directly from the terminal to my TV; cable running through a splitter; two cables running through the splitter in reverse; a 10 dB inline amp directly to the TV; a boosted pair of rabbit ears (yeah, I knew it wouldn't work here, but I was desperate!).  I just can't seem to get things to work.

Does anyone have any ideas I can try?

waterhead

It sounds like the cable is acting as the antenna. Is the wall terminal the old flat antenna wire? Are you using coaxial cable?

You may be better off trying an indoor antenna. Maybe someone can suggest an affordable one.

Temmek

It's not flat-wire, but the cable doesn't seem quite as thick or stiff as the coax I'm using to connect to my TV.  Maybe it's just older and has broken down a bit?

StarvingForHDTV

I agree with waterhead.  Try an indoor antenna.  The Radio Shack Double Bow Tie is ugly, but it works well.  I have also heard other indoor antennas mentioned on this forum.  Stay away from Terk brand antennas.....

Good luck.

waterhead

Also, make sure that your using RG6 Quad coaxial cable. It sounds as if the thinner cable that you have may be RG58. It will work, but since you're having reception issues, I would pitch it in the trash..

If you are on the wrong side of the building (away from the broadcast antennae), you may have to find a reflected signal off of a nearby building.

As for the antenna on top of your building. Is anybody else in the building using this antenna? Do they have the same problems? It may be old and the connections are corroded. Could you or the maintenance manager look at it?

Paul

Temmek

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try the Radio Shack antenna - I have some things of theirs that didn't work, so I'll just exchange them.  I live on the north side of the building, so that shouldn't be a problem...but, I am on the second floor downtown, with several tallish buildings all around me.  Fortunately, though, next to our building to the north is a parking lot, so I do have some free space there.  Think this will be a problem?

Should I keep the inline amp?  I'm guessing it'd be overkill (for cryin' out loud, I'm not that far from the transmitters), but I thought I'd ask.

I've been playing around with the SD signals, and it turns out I can get the VHF channels very well (with some ghosting on Fox, but I'm not surprised to see some multipath problems downtown).  The UHF channels, on the other hand, I can't get well at all.  I guess that would tend to explain why I'm having problems with the HD channels.

StarvingForHDTV

I think amps are most effective for long cable runs or many splits in the cable.  With your indoor antenna, you will probably have a short cable length and one split or less.  I'm guessing the amp will not help you, and could hurt you.

The Radio Shack Double Bow Tie is a UHF only antenna.  Although it does pick up digital channel 8.

I hope it works well for you.

Temmek

Thanks everyone!  I picked up the Radio Shack antenna earlier today, and so far it's working beautifully.  The only problem is an occasional hiccup in the CBS signal; just enough to be annoying, but not the end of the world.  I'm still futzing with the location and direction to see if I can clear that up too.

On a related note:  This double bow tie antenna has been discontinued.   :confused:   There was only one left "in the district" (however large that is).  I had to go to Menomonee Falls to get it, and was lucky at that - the guy told me the only reason they had one is some poor sap's wife didn't like the way it looked.  Too bad for him, great for me.

I guess the antenna was just ahead of its time...

techboy

The UHF bow tie antenna has been around since the beginning of UHF TV in the 1940's.  It's Radio Shack that is behind the times ( again ).  There are other sources for this very effective antenna if anyone needs one.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )