News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Antenna recommendations / advice

Started by Will, Monday Sep 11, 2006, 09:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hi,

I am in Tosa, around 66th and North Ave, and am having trouble receiving WITI-HD, channel 6-1 (really channel 33).  I have an RCA antenna like this one in the attic of my two storey house.  It's a UHF / VHF mast antenna from Menards, and I receive all other digital channels perfectly.  

According to my Sony TV with built in ATSC tuner, I get signal strength on all stations except WITI at 95-98%.  Even 30-1 comes in at 98.  WITI signal strength ranges from 41% to sometimes as high as 78%, but it cycles between those numbers rapidly, and drops out frequently (when I'm able to get it at all).  The only way I got my TV to even recognize it as a channel was to tune 33-3 directly; it wouldn't recognize it as 6-1.

I have tried repositioning the antenna in the attic, but have not been able to get WITI at all.  Yesterday I bought an amplified UHF-only small antenna from Radio Shack (this one), and was able to get WITI at about 83% with it just sitting in the living room.  It wouldn't get 18-1 and 24-1 though.  It's going back.

I'm thinking of getting a channel master 4221A (here)to see if that will work.  I'd get the 4228, but I have space limitations in the attic, as it's only 35" floor to peak.  

Questions:

1.  Might this antenna solve my problem?  (I know there's no sure answer here.)

2.  Will this antenna work positioned sideways, with the 20" dimension placed horizontally?

3.  Anyone know of a local place that sells these?

4.  Any other antenna suggestions, ideas, gotchas?

Thanks!
Will

RJRobb

Try Skywalker Communications, they are a distributor but have sold direct to the public in the past.  They're also a distributor for Winegard.  Consider the Winegard GS-2200 Sensar III (amplified Batwing used on most RVs) or possibly the GS1100 (non-amp version).  Have used GS2200 and CM4228 w/CM7777 pre-amp and performance is similar.  

Skywalker Communications  
2355 S Calhoun Rd
New Berlin, WI 53151
Phone: 262-786-5887

AndrewP

I recommend buy locally at Marmax, one block east of 76&Rawson, save on shipping, and also they have better price (at least when I bought my 4228).

Will

Thanks both of you for the suggestions!

Does anyone know if the antenna will work essentially sideways?  Like this:

[----------------------]
[----------------------]
[----------------------]
[----------------------]
[----------------------]

vs the normal way, like this:

[---------]
[---------]
[---------]
[---------]
[---------]
[---------]
[---------]
[---------]

Thanks,
Will

techboy

To the best of my knowledge, all the MIlwaukee UHF digital stations are using slotted horizontal polarization transmitting antenna's.  It takes twice the power and therefore costs twice as much to run circular ( H and V ).  So, mounting an antenna sideways (vertical polariztion) shouldn't work well.  But, in practice, you may actually experience better reception in a given circumstance if you tilt you antenna to one side or the other.  Sometimes bad reception on a single given channel may be due to a standing wave on the downlead.  At UHF frequiences, that could mean simply adding or removing a foot or two of lead coax.  Amplifiers tend to overload and go into intermod at local level RF signals, so in most cases an amplifier will make things worse.   I have had the best "luck" with a 4 bay bow tie.  They ofer a broad "look" angle both vertically and horizontally and have high gain because they operate as 4 stacked single antennas.   Avoid the long narrow beam yagi's.  You don't need any VHF capabilities for Milwaukee HD channels except ch 8 (PBS) and they will often come in fine on the bow tie due to very high signal levels.   And if all else fails, you may need to put the antenna outside.  To avoid snow reflections in winter, get it at least 5 feet above the roof.  Also avoid trees in the signal path if possible, when wet they suck up a lot of signal.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

Will

I'm finally getting around to updating this in case people are interested.

I bought a Channel Master 4221A from Marmax, and put it in the attic.  After a small adjustment (aiming it right at the 6-1 tower), I'm now able to pull everything in.  6-1 still is only 78 - 83% signal strength, but it is enough to get the channel, so I am happy!

Thanks again for the help.
Will