• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Buyer Beware! HD-DVD and HD DVD are Not the Same!

Started by SRW1000, Sunday Jul 30, 2006, 12:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

This week's CompUSA ad has what looks like a killer deal for this HD-DVD player:

I-O Data Device AVLP2/DVDLA HD-DVD Player

Considering the prices of the Toshiba unit, this looks like a steal.  But, it will not play HD DVDs, only the much older format HD-DVDs.

Further information can be found in this post on the AVS forum: CompUSA ad for $200 "HD-DVD" player misleading. Doesn't play HD DVDs .

This may be old news to some people, but I almost fell for it.

Scott

sp44again

It says "The player can read from DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW". Doesn't even mention HD-DVD. HD files only. I tried this player out over a year ago.

SRW1000

Quote from: sp44againIt says "The player can read from DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD-RW". Doesn't even mention HD-DVD. HD files only. I tried this player out over a year ago.
I think they changed the specs on the website since yesterday morning, since it now clearly states "Note: This unit does NOT play HD DVDs."

The interactive ad still clearly states that it's an HD DVD player, which it isn't.  See this link (which they will hopefully change) and the attached screen capture (which they can't).

Anyone seeing this in yesterday's paper wouldn't have any reason to believe that it wouldn't play HD DVDs, since they are calling it an HD DVD player.

Scott

Ralph Kramden

I saw that ad also. What is it, an upconverting  player?