• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Hd-dvd

Started by SugarRay, Sunday Apr 30, 2006, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarRay

Anyone see the new HD-DVD player out?  Hope the format wars get settled soon so prices can drop.

Bebop

Yes. it just like  OTA HD without all the artifacts from over compression or multicasting. Well, it actually better than OTA HD.

I like Blu-ray for the larger capacity, but there no way I'm going spend $1k on a player. It's unlikely the 2nd generation BR will cost under $500.

$439

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

kevbeck122

Get yourself a PS3 for $399.. and you'll have a cheap BR player :D.  That is assuming the rumors are true.

I don't see prices dropping anytime soon.. Toshiba is already taking a pretty big loss on these suposedly.

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: BebopYes. it just like  OTA HD without all the artifacts from over compression or multicasting. Well, it actually better than OTA HD.

I like Blu-ray for the larger capacity, but there no way I'm going spend $1k on a player. It's unlikely the 2nd generation BR will cost under $500.

$439

The problem with Blu-ray is due to it's narrower apeture (hence denser data), the actual data is closer to the surface of the disk as compared to HD-DVD.  Thus the disk must be perfect and totally clean as the laser can't read as deep as the HD-DVD disks.  If it comes down to a "Format War", HD-DVD will win with consumers when we start hearing complaints about unreadable disks.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

SRW1000

I'll probably buy an HD-DVD player as soon as the price is below $250, but I don't think I'll be buying very many movies.  Netflix is going to be carrying them, and when I calculate how much I've invested in both DVDs and laserdiscs over the past decade, I can't justify building up another library.

If Sony pulls off a $399 PS3, that would be a huge plus for them in the market, especially considering the Blueray players are supposed retail for around a grand.  They'd really be taking a huge hit on every PS3; I don't know how they could justify that price point, financially.

Scott

Bebop

Quote from: kevbeck122Get yourself a PS3 for $399.. and you'll have a cheap BR player :D.  That is assuming the rumors are true.

I don't see prices dropping anytime soon.. Toshiba is already taking a pretty big loss on these suposedly.

I will. The problem in trying to get one of them when it comes out. I hope they don't cut down the features from a stand alone player.

Blockbuster is also renting  HD DVDs online.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

CrashCamomilli

The PS2 and Xbox, where sold at a loss for a fair length of time.

You really think a controller costs $50?

Games that range from $60 on up ?
Faceplate add ons starting at 20$
X-box wireless network adapter 100$
X-box headset

The system makers, break even on the first purchase.

X-Box 360                                $400
you buy 3 more controllers for $150
Wireless adapter                     $100
Headset                                   $20
X-box media remote                $30
4 new games                           $240
12 months X-box live               $70

===========$1010

And they keep making the money on the X-box live subscriptions and game prices.

Sony will just fo the same

Ralph Kramden

I wonder if the PS3 will be a reliable DVD player. My son used to use his Playstation as a DVD player, and it never worked right. After about 45 minutes it seemed to get too hot and it would freeze up.

kevbeck122

The PS2 was a reliable DVD player for me... but it was a pretty bad player in terms of features and quality.

SRW1000

Quote from: CrashCamomilliThe PS2 and Xbox, where sold at a loss for a fair length of time.
You are correct that videogame systems have been sold at a loss for years.  The difference here is that the amount they lost on those systems would pale in comparison to the proposed price of the PS3.  I think they were losing $50-$100 per system on the PS2 (this is from memory, so I could be off).  

If a BlueRay player is supposed to retail at $1000, and they're selling the PS3 for $400, they're not only taking a huge loss on each PS3s sold, but they're also going to take a big hit on BlueRay player sales.  They want to push the PS3 as a kind of media hub anyway, so who's going to spend the extra $600 on just a BlueRay player?

I think part of the reason for these rumors is to try and slow down Xbox 360 sales.

I'll be shocked if we actually see a $400 PS3 price at launch that's capable of playing full-rez BlueRay discs.

Scott

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

tazman

Another way to look at it is from the stand point of putting everything into perspective.  It's new and it's going to command a premium price.  The market will do a shake out on prices as well as which format will survive.  Give it 2 or 3 years as the 2nd and 3rd generation models come out.  It will be just like new computer hardware and the latest products in audio and TV sets.  I would venture to quess that it doesn't cost them much more to produce those players as does the current ones we have now.  

I can go out now and buy a bigger and better HDTV than what I have now at nearly $1500 cheaper than what I paid for my current set. :)

gparris

I just picked up my new Toshiba HD-A1 for use with my SXRD  and Hitachi HDTV sets... including some new HD DVDs..."Serenity" and "Riddick" look awesome! :D

It was on sale at BB for 12% off, so how could I refuse?

So I  have bought 2 players on sale, for 2 HDTVs, including the main HT room where the Hitachi 70" LCD 720p set is, so now I can just buy one (HD) DVD as more titles come out. :D

You have to be patient with the setup and then it plays...at least the first two discs have worked well....just don't change inputs while you are playing the disc because then it stops.

Is there any way to get a disc update for v1.4?

Bebop

Quote from: gparrisI just picked up my new Toshiba HD-A1 for use with my SXRD and some new HD DVDs...Serenity looks awesome!
It was on sale at BB for 12% off  - could have bought 2 for each of the main HDTVs, but for now, I am waiting to see if there is a second generation player coming out for the the Hitachi 70" LCD 720p set in the future.
You have to be patient with the setup and then it plays...at least the first disc worked well....just don't change inputs while you are playing the disc for it stops.
Is there any way to get a disc update for v1.4?

Just hook it up to your router or mail back the postcard.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

Thanks, I mailed the card in for the disc to do those upgrades! :wave: