• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Bunch of New Radio Formats Coming

Started by Tom Snyder, Tuesday Apr 25, 2006, 03:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

Business Journal is reporting that Entercom and Clear Channel are about to launch a bunch of formats on their digital side channels: Blues, gospel, disco, comedy and alternative.  Article is   HERE

While that's good for the listeners, I just don't see how further segmenting the market into microscopic shares will make financial sense longterm.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

StarvingForHDTV

So, digital radio is for real?  I was wondering if it was just hype and would blow over in due time.  Maybe it is here to stay.

Bluto

Check out this site for Clear Channel simulcasts of their digital stations:
http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio/

LoadStar

Quote from: StarvingForHDTVSo, digital radio is for real?  I was wondering if it was just hype and would blow over in due time.  Maybe it is here to stay.

The challenge to digital radio is that it's chicken-or-the-egg... if there are no listeners with digital radios, why provide the content? And if there is no content, why would listeners buy digital radios?

It seems, however, that for whatever motivation, the big broadcasters are pressing on and providing the digital content - listeners or no. As long as this trend continues, it'll have a chance of being a player.

They seem intent on pitting it against satellite radio. I think to some extent, it'll be able to "rescue" some listeners who were considering switching to satellite, as long as they plan to continue offering alternate formats on the sidebands. However, given that satellite offers far more formats in a commercial free format (something the sideband stations are offering now, but I can't see continuing going forward), I think satellite will continue to have a major edge over digital radio.

Doug Mohr

Quote from: LoadStarThey seem intent on pitting it against satellite radio. I think to some extent, it'll be able to "rescue" some listeners who were considering switching to satellite, as long as they plan to continue offering alternate formats on the sidebands. However, given that satellite offers far more formats in a commercial free format (something the sideband stations are offering now, but I can't see continuing going forward), I think satellite will continue to have a major edge over digital radio.

Assuming OTA digital radio will be subscription free like OTA Digital TV, I think it will have an edge over satellite radio.

I've never paid for subscription TV, why would I pay for subscription radio. Commercials aren't as bad as a monthly fee.

LoadStar

Quote from: Doug MohrAssuming OTA digital radio will be subscription free like OTA Digital TV, I think it will have an edge over satellite radio.

I've never paid for subscription TV, why would I pay for subscription radio. Commercials aren't as bad as a monthly fee.

You might not have paid for "subscription TV" -- but at this point, you're in the minority if you don't. The vast majority of those who watch TV do so via cable or satellite, NOT over-the-air.

Now, I'm not saying the same thing will happen with radio... but there are a LOT of people who consider the huge amount of commercial-free music that satellite radio provides well worth the $12.95 or less a month.

bradsmainsite

Just because one is in the minority does not make it not worth while.

Believe it or not that minority is growing and with gas prices going the way they
are just watch what will happen! ;)

Talos4

I look at this as a feeble attempt by the OTA Radio Broadacasters to stop the migration to subsciption based services.

Many ask me when I tell them I'm a Sirius Sub "why pay for radio when you can get it for free?"

My reply is usually "you get what you pay for!"

OTA broadcasts are limited to what the broadcaster is "told" "I" want to watch or listen to.

I'm a DTV and Sirius sub, I have an OTA Antenna on the roof, I have a Sirius receiver in the the car and in the house.

BTW, I watch all my local channels OTA. The PQ is much better!!

I pay to have "real options"  What is OTA giving us in terms of alternative "free" programming?

Channels 10-2 thru 7 Who needs kids programming at 1:00 am?,

4-2 all weather all the time

58 MLW re-broadcasts?  do we really need 2 channels of roseanne at the same time?  

I fear digital OTA radio will be the same. TMJ will have the Farm channel 24-7 for the latest price of hog jowls.   ISN will have the All Belling all the time channel, Miss a show?  don't worry we'll have it for you.

MYX will have the Echoes channel, Miss the last rotation, don't worry we repeat the same songs in the same order on a 30 min delay!.

I'll admit even with all those options to choose from, some nights there's STILL nothing to watch. and I do still listen to CD's in the car.

kevbeck122

Any idea when these multicast stations will be starting up?  The only two I get are Entercom's stations: 99.1-HD2 and 103.7-HD2.