• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DIRECTV Adds Local HDTV

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Dec 10, 2005, 09:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

DIRECTV yesterday began offering local High-Definition TV channels in Boston, Washington, D.C., Tampa, Dallas & Houston.

Last month, the satcaster launched local HD service in Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, San Francisco and Atlanta. New York and Los Angeles are expected to get local HD later this month.

This is the first time that a U.S. satellite service has provided local channels in high-def. Cable TV operators have offered the service for a few years.

DIRECTV says it will offer local HD to dozens of more markets in 2006.

To receive the local HD channels, subscribers must get the new DIRECTV H-20 MPEG4 receiver and the new five LNB dish. There have been conflicting reports on how much DIRECTV is charging for the new equipment. Some customers have reported getting the dish and receiver for free while others say they have been charged $49 or $99.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

Has anyone seen one the 5 lnb dishes? Is the dish itself still the same size as the triple?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Den Mayer

Is the satellite local HD to be provided thru:

the satellite down link    OR

via attaching a local OTA antenna to your chimney??

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

Quote from: Den MayerIs the satellite local HD to be provided thru:

the satellite down link    OR

via attaching a local OTA antenna to your chimney??

Directv has a new receiver (not HD DVR, yet) for signal delivery without an OTA antenna required.
All local HD channels are provided with this new box/dish combo and various threads at satelliteguys (see our forum link).

My understanding is first the 12 cities get it (like through this month) then the next 12 get their HD channels.
At this time,  the first 12 get the balance of PBS HD, WB HD and UPN HD locals (Sinclair HD stations too), meaning the first time you get locals in HD you get the basic four networks locally.

This means, since Directv is planning on delivering 36 cities and Milwaukee is #33.
by the end of 2006 if not sooner, all 7 HD locals will be by dish (hopefully HD DVR)  which will really be cool. :cool:

Steve Mann

Quote from: gparrisThis means, since Directv is planning on delivering 36 cities and Milwaukee is #33.
by the end of 2006 if not sooner, all 7 HD locals will be by dish (hopefully HD DVR)  which will really be cool. :cool:

I get all HD locals now and record them nightly.  Thanks TiVo!  ;-)

I'll be staying with OTA HD even after D* starts beaming HD locals to us. I get all the locals now and why should I suffer with any compression that D* may add to the stream?
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Mark Strube

I'd be interested how CBS-HD would look, if it's from a market that has no multicast on that station... with DirecTV converting it to MPEG4.

gparris

Quote from: Steve MannI get all HD locals now and record them nightly.  Thanks TiVo!  ;-)

I'll be staying with OTA HD even after D* starts beaming HD locals to us. I get all the locals now and why should I suffer with any compression that D* may add to the stream?

Steve Mann:
Good for you that you get your HD locals OTA,
but that is not always practical (or possible) for some of us, okay? :(

As for compression artifacts on Directv HD locals, that is only an assumption,
like everyone getting OTA HD as easy as you do. :D

Personally, if Directv (or Dishnetwork) offer a single, simple one-dish solution for everything including all HD locals (like they are trying to do now), it will more effectively compete with the likes of cable, which is balking at adding any new HD channels lately (think TWC).

Add a HD DVR (MPEG-4) for purchase or rental (to compete with the 8300HD DVR)
 and you will have converts over to satellite in no time (hear that, TWC?)

Just making a couple of points here! :wave:

Bebop

Quote from: Mark StrubeI'd be interested how CBS-HD would look, if it's from a market that has no multicast on that station... with DirecTV converting it to MPEG4.

It will be interesting to see if a Mpeg2 signal converted to Mpeg4 will introduce artifacts in the process.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Steve Mann

Quote from: gparrisSteve Mann:
Good for you that you get your HD locals OTA,
but that is not always practical (or possible) for some of us, okay? :(
Nor did I say it was.
QuoteAs for compression artifacts on Directv HD locals, that is only an assumption,
like everyone getting OTA HD as easy as you do. :D
Nor did I say this. Or even imply it.
QuotePersonally, if Directv (or Dishnetwork) offer a single, simple one-dish solution for everything including all HD locals (like they are trying to do now), it will more effectively compete with the likes of cable, which is balking at adding any new HD channels lately (think TWC).
And I'm all for that as I pretty much despise cable.
Quote... Just making a couple of points here! :wave:
That's fine. Of course, they were points I was well aware of though.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album