News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Scrubs in HD this year???

Started by PWFD81, Friday Dec 09, 2005, 10:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PWFD81

Does anyone know if Scrubs will finally be in HD this year?   I see it starts January 3rd.  I hope it's in HD.  If anyone know, let me know.

Thanks!

T

GBK

I haven't heard that it will be in HD so for lack of info it most likely will not.

PWFD81

It's hard to believe any prime time show not to be in HD.  The networks need to get with it.  We all want HD and there are more people everyday purchasing HD equipment.

TPK

Quote from: PWFD81It's hard to believe any prime time show not to be in HD.  The networks need to get with it.  We all want HD and there are more people everyday purchasing HD equipment.

I think for the most part the networks have been pretty good...  Non-HD programmes in prime-time are few (exceptions being the reality programming and news-type programmes), and even late-nite programming is being converted to HD..  

I think the 'bottleneck' to HD content is quickly becomming  the delivery systems (cable/satellite)...  I have hopes though that this will change in the next year...

Mark Strube

Was there any real announcement when Will & Grace went to HD? If not, I wouldn't be too surprised if Scrubs does go HD this season.

milwaukeebear

i found this. i'm not exactly sure what it means, but thought i'd put it out there.

SCRUBS FOR HD BROADCAST?

For HD delivery, a big holdout among the top 10 shows was Scrubs, a Touchstone Television and NBC co-production. Last season, it was shooting on Super 16mm and delivering on Digital Betacam, according to Ramy Katrib, CEO of DigitalFilmTree (//www.digitalfilmtree.com) in Los Angeles. This season, the program is still being shot in Super 16, but NBC is seriously considering broadcast in HD. DigitalFilmTree does the online editing of the series, while Level 3 Post in Burbank transfers it to HDCAM and handles color correction and delivery of dubs.

"Most shows are under pressure to have an HD master, no matter what they're showing," Katrib notes. "Once they finish in HD, they can repurpose for standard definition, HD or PAL delivery."

Continue article
Advertisement

His operation recently acquired a Sony HDCAM deck, and it is experimenting with the Sony Xpri, a nonlinear editing system that handles standard definition while being a native HD editing system.

"We're interested in what we've seen over the past month," reports Katrib. "Our editors have been giving feedback to Sony and we hope it becomes a workable system for our post services," He notes that a native editing system can best exploit the advantages of Sony's HDCAM.

"One of the biggest challenges now," he adds,"is finding a good workflow for offlining HD. It takes up a lot of space on a hard drive." His facility is designing an individual path for each client, tailored to its needs. For Scrubs they are using systems like Apple's Final Cut Pro powered the AJA PCI capture card, the IO, which allows working in HD. Apple's Shake software is used in conjunction with Final Cut Pro for compositing on the series.

"Once we digitize the HD content," Katrib explains,"we can do such processes as color correction, titling, image manipulation and 2D and 3D content all at the same location."

MDR

doesn't look like it will.

NBC doesn't have the "HDTV" indicator in the show description and TitanTV doesn't list it as HD.

Bummer! :(
Cord Cutter

ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

Joseph S

TitanTV isn't always right on this issue, especially for stuff that hasn't been shown in HD.

Steve Mann

Quote from: Joseph STitanTV isn't always right on this issue, especially for stuff that hasn't been shown in HD.

Well, we'll know in a few hours...
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Joseph S