• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

using MythTv with DirectTv to watch 1 ch, while recording others? -- possible?

Started by sairndain, Thursday Nov 17, 2005, 10:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sairndain

Hi All

Just got DirectTV installed couple weeks ago.

A week or so later I called DirectTV and asked about a "DirectTivo"-type upgrade - i.e., a DVR setup, whereby I could watch one channel while recording another channel (or multiple other channels)...

I was a bit bemused to find out from the DirectTV telephone representative that I would have to have a technician come out and "run" another cable from the DirectTV satellite dish (located atop my 3 story townhouse roof) down to my DirectTV receiver  in order to establish this capability (i.e.,  to watch one channel while recording *one* other channel ).

I know some DVR's (like those provided by cable companys like Cox, Comcast, etc) have multiple tuners "embedded" within them, and require only one cable running into the DVR receiver.  --- It surprised me to discover that DirectTV satellite receivers, apparently, do not have this capability.

I had read one encouraging suggestion from anther forum  indicating that you could "split" the  DirectTV satellite feed cable (using a "splitter", of course)  before it reaches the DirectTV receiver....  i.e., Running  coax's  into one or more  MythTV hauppauge cards, and one coax into the DirectTV receiver.  

Would this really work?  

I was under the impression that a DirectTV receiver had to authorize/decode the DirectTV satellite signal before a TV could properly render it... ---Is this true?  
(If not true, then, maybe there's hope for the above "splitter" idea!)

In any case, I'd love the adventure of building my own MythTv box --- using KnoppMyth specifically ---  but, before I begin, I would like to know whether the   "watch 1 channel while recording one or more other channels" capability  is feasible with DirectTV.

Appreciate any guidance on this.

-- Thanks again!!

kevbeck122

Nope, you can't do that.  You need the box to authorize and decode the signal.

waterhead

Take a look at this thread. I know it's old, but check out the link in the thread. It may give you some ideas:
MythTv Forum Archives
Also, search the archives for DirectTV and see what you can find.
I know that MythTV can be made to control an external cable box using a infrared "mouse" that will change channels before recording a show. You would need some type of video output from the DirectTV box, and a capture card with the same type inputs.

Right now, my MythTV box is all myth and no TV. In fact I'm re-installing everything on a new hard drive as I write this. I had many problems with the previous try.

waterhead

After reading thru some Mythtv forums, I came across this web site:
http://www.169time.com/
It seems they sell an altered DirectTV box with a firewire output. You need some sort of converter to then hook it up to a recorder. You can also send in your existing box and have it altered. The Mythtv people are unhappy because it is not an open source driver. Hey, not everything is free.