News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

PBS-HD is Gone in Wisconsin?

Started by Den Mayer, Monday Oct 03, 2005, 07:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarvingForHDTV

I have seen 4th St. Forum on 36-1 multiple times already.

tazman

QuoteMPTV's programming is NOT the same as WPT's, as was implied in a previous posting, although much of it is similar. Speaking specifically about the HD service, WMVT-DT -- which we promote as MPTV-HD -- supplements the national PBS-HD feed with broadasts of our own MPTV series produced in HD, including OUTDOOR WISCONSIN, TRACKS AHEAD, GREAT LAKES GARDENER, LOW CARB COOKWORX, I REMEMBER, INTERCHANGE, and other local programs. By the way, MPTV is the only Milwaukee station regularly producing local programs in HD (WPT is not producing programs in HD, either).

Does MPTV get a kick back for the HD programs we produce and that are rebroadcast nationaly?  I could swear I have seen TRACKS AHEAD on the national PBS-HD Feed on AMC-3. :)     Also I wish to extend a thank you for filling some of the time in the evening hours on 10.4, with feeds from NASA-TV.  We have talked about that here some time ago wishing that it would happen.  Thanks for making it so.  Also one more question.  When will 5.1 dolby happen on 36.1?  I am still switching to the satellite feed on thursday or saturday nights for Sound Stage. The visual experiance is all together different with 5.1 .:wave:

Ellis Bromberg

Sorry, I hadn't noted this last reply to the thread about HD programming in Wisconsin.  There are a couple of questions posed by Tazman that I will try to answer:

1) Unfortunately, we aren't being paid (we would never call it a "kick back"!) for the MPTV HD productions that PBS has been carrying on its HD channel -- TRACKS AHEAD and LOW-CARB COOKWORX.  In most cases of how-to programming, stations "exchange" the programs among ourselves, through the PBS satellite system.  The producing station benefits by offering videotapes, DVDs, or books related to the program for sale.  The more people who see the programs, the more purchases of ancillary materials we have, so it's to our benefit to have the programs shown on other stations in other parts of the country, even though the other stations and PBS do not pay us directly for them.  

2) Thanks for your comments about the NASA programming we were airing evenings and overnights on MPTV KIDS, Channel 10-4.  As you have probably noticed, we abandoned that experiment on November 1.  MPTV KIDS had been a 24-hour packaged feed from PBS, but that service ended from PBS on October 1.  At that time, we replaced it with children's programming from a back-up PBS feed, available only during the daytime, and the NASA channel at night.  There were problems with that, however: a) families that watched MPTV KIDS programming, primarily during primetime hours, missed it and let us know they were displeased with the change; b) the NASA programming was often inconsistent with the children's programming -- how can you call a channel MPTV KIDS and then proceed to have a panel of four administrators talking about the minutia of the NASA budget?; c) although the NASA channel is offered as a "broadcast" channel, much of its programming is not framed for broadcast: background pieces with slates and countdowns, unscripted B-roll for newscasts, etc.  It was clear after a few days that while some of the NASA feeds were interesting, the NASA material was inappropriately placed on MPTV KIDS.  So on November 1, we returned 10-4 to a 24-hour kids service.  We're basically using a PBS back-up feed from 5 am-5 pm, taping it to our own servers, and then repeating that block from 5 pm-5 am.  Much of the interstitial material between programs on MPTV KIDS is our own.

3) We began experimenting with 5.1 audio on 36-1 just a couple of weeks ago.  The problem is that hardly any PBS programs are being recorded in that audio format yet.  But let us know what you think.

Ellis Bromberg
General Manager
Milwaukee Public Television

kevbeck122

I noticed the 5.1 sound several times in the past week.. it sounded good.

tazman

Hi Ellis

Thank you for the response.  It was not a matter of life or death, so better late than never. :)

I will have to check out the 5.1 next time Sound Stage is on.  I would have probably noticed it earlier, but I have gotten into the habbit of tuning in the satellite feed when ever Sound Stage is going to air that I havn't checked 36.1 for quite some time.  Also thanks for the treat with the NASA programming.  It's all very understandable about others wanting the PBS-Kids programming.  After all like you said that is the slotted programming. :)

StarvingForHDTV

I will also start checking for 5.1 audio on channel 36-1.  Progress on that front is great news for those of us who don't have access to the national PBS-HD feed.  

Thank you for your efforts, Mr. Bromberg.

Doug Mohr

Mr. Bromberg,

Thanks for letting us know what is going on and a big thanks for the local HD programming. We tend to watch more of 36-1 at home than the other local HD stations.

We'll also be looking forward to "The Making of Milwaukee"

Doug

Ellis Bromberg

Late heads-up, a follow-up on the 5.1 discussions we've been having on this forum.  

Tonight's (11/30) 8-9:30 p.m. broadcast of GREAT PERFORMANCES: CREAM REUNION CONCERT on MPTV-HD/Channel 36-1 will be in true 5.1 Surround Sound.  (Note: this will NOT be a simulcast with either Channels 10 or 36 tonight; it'll be shown ONLY on 36-1.)  Please check it out and tell us what you think!  Here is the program description:

Releasing just four albums as the group Cream, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, and Eric Clapton left an indelible mark on the worldwide music scene. From 1966 to 1968, with hits like "White Room," "Sunshine of Your Love" and "Badge," Cream dominated the charts with a bluesy, masterful approach to the psychedelic rock of the late 1960s, selling 35 million records and inspiring virtually every new rock group of the day with dreams of stadium success. Much to the disappointment of their legions of fans, the group disbanded, after only three years, playing their final concert together in 1968 at London's Royal Albert Hall, to despairing cries of "God save the Cream!" It took 37 years, but in May of 2005, Royal Albert Hall was once again the scene for the group's much anticipated reunion, described by the Washington Times as "... a unique moment in music history. It was a long time coming, but worth the wait." [TVG]

Should be a great show!

Ellis Bromberg
MPTV General Manager

SRW1000

Quote from: Ellis BrombergLate heads-up, a follow-up on the 5.1 discussions we've been having on this forum.  

Tonight's (11/30) 8-9:30 p.m. broadcast of GREAT PERFORMANCES: CREAM REUNION CONCERT on MPTV-HD/Channel 36-1 will be in true 5.1 Surround Sound.  (Note: this will NOT be a simulcast with either Channels 10 or 36 tonight; it'll be shown ONLY on 36-1.)  Please check it out and tell us what you think!  Here is the program description:

Ellis Bromberg
MPTV General Manager
Any chance that this will be rebroadcast?  It's up against Lost, and so I'll have to miss it, but it sounds like it would be great!

Scott

StarvingForHDTV

Quote from: Ellis BrombergTonight's (11/30) 8-9:30 p.m. broadcast of GREAT PERFORMANCES: CREAM REUNION CONCERT on MPTV-HD/Channel 36-1 will be in true 5.1 Surround Sound.    Please check it out and tell us what you think!

:guitar:   The sound quality was Fantastic!  What an incredible difference.  Please keep passing the 5.1 feed whenever possible.  :guitar:

Thank you Mr. Bromberg.

Tom Snyder

I've been looking forward to this for months... I was TWC DVR'ing it, and my Piece o' Junk hard drive locked up half way through.   :bang:  

The program guide shows several re-broadcasts.

Will those be in 5.1?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Den Mayer

Good PBS-HD TV news from Green Bay.....    12-01-2005

A TWC Rep told me that PBS-HD (#2) is back on the Cable Air..

Tis True !!!!!!!   I just tried it...     WORKS.......

I also checked OTA PBS-DT in GBay too...

42-1 OTA is again PBS-HD same as Cable.....     Cookworx Pgm..

42-2 OTA is PBS-SD, The Wisconsin flavored offering...

The No PBS-HD era in GBay ran from 10-1-05 to 12-1-05........

In a FOX-HD vein here in GBay.......

FOX-HD owned by Emmis of Indy was Sold today to LINN

Broadcasting of Providence, RI.....

Question is:   Will FOX-HD now show up on TWC HD ????

And concerning NASCAR HD, It sounds like BUSCH Racing

will be shown on ESPN2-HD in a year and a quarter......

I can not get ESPN2-HD at this time thru TWC in GBay.

And lastly, the TWC Rep re-confirmed that we in GBay do not need

to order Digi Pack 1000 to get the Free HD &/or HD Theater Pgms.

Nuff good GBay HD news for now........

Gilbert

Wisconsin Public Television restored PBS HD in Madison and the
WPT affiliates! WHA-DT in Madtown did it on December 1.
People were screaming and yelling and NOT happy about losing the channel,
so now it is back by popular demand throughout Wisconsin!  :)

Den Mayer

The Green Bay paper today ran a few paragraphs about PBS-HD

based on a Madison interview.....  It sounds like WPT (Wisc Pub TV)

network will carry PBS-HD for sure until June 30, 2006....

At that time, they may have a Digital studio functioning that

could allow for a multicasting increase....

Bottom line is the PBS-HD network bill is paid to July 1.... More Multicasting

is still their goal..  and HD Programming at 1080i does not bode well

with more than one 480i multicast.....

In hind sight, a 720p HD signal with two 480i SD casts might work OK.....

Sounds like another Madison PBS-HD crisis looming on July 1, 06...

As they say to their contributors (& I just gave), the P in WPT

stands for "we the Public " can request what we want WPT to offer...

larsob

Wisconsin Public Television will be adding a third multicast channel January 9 2006, called Create.

http://www.wpt.org/digitaltv/