• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Directv Will 'soft Launch' Local Hdtv

Started by Gregg Lengling, Wednesday Jun 15, 2005, 12:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

DIRECTV has announced that it will offer
High-Definition TV feeds of local channels in 24 markets this fall. This will be the first
time that DIRECTV will provide viewers with local high-def coverage.

However, I predict that the satcaster will first test the local HDTV service in one market before launching the service elsewhere. The test could delay the 24 market national
launch until late September or early October. At this time, I am not ready to predict
which market will be tested.

The reason for the one-city test: The local HDTV signals will be delivered via a new Ka
band satellite, which was launched in April, and a new compression technology called
MPEG-4. Consequently, the satellite TV service must take special care to ensure
that the new satellite -- and the new technology -- is a-ok before going national.
(DIRECTV currently uses MPEG-2 compression technology to deliver TV signals.)

The limited market test would not be unprecedented for DIRECTV. The satcaster has
been testing its new Interactive TV service, called DIRECTV Active, in selected cities
before launching nationally. The Interactive TV test, which began a few weeks ago, is expected to take up to 30 days.

Eagerly Awaited
DIRECTV's local HDTV service has been eagerly awaited by high-def owners. As of
now, HDTV signals of local channels are only available via cable TV -- or an off-air
antenna. (DIRECTV does provide national HDTV signals of ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC in selected markets.) The satellite TV service hopes that the addition of local HD will stop new HDTV owners from signing up for cable.

DIRECTV plans to offer local HD -- and up to 150 national HDTV channels -- in nearly
every market by 2007. The satcaster is launching four new satellites over the next two
years to deliver those signals.

Shortly before this fall's launch of the first 24 markets, I predict that DIRECTV will
begin selling new MPEG-4 dishes and receivers, which will be needed to receive the
local HDTV signals. However, I am not ready to predict at this time if DIRECTV will
offer discounts and incentives for current customers to upgrade to the MPEG-4
systems. (It is likely, though.)

I will predict, though, that DIRECTV's 24 market roll out of local HDTV will be done in
two stages. DIRECTV has announced that the first 12 markets will be: New York, Los
Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC,
Atlanta, Detroit, Houston, and Tampa Bay.

In the next few weeks, I predict that DIRECTV will announce 12 additional markets
that will get local HDTV this fall.

http://www.onhd.tv/directvlocal061405.html
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Matt Heebner

According to this AVS thread...the Spaceway satellite that makes this all happen has been delayed in launching. Figure another 3 to 4 months till the anticipated LIL HD Launch.
Personally, if this is the "big" Directv HD news that was supposed to announced June 15th....I couldn't care less. The disappointment is building with Directv and their lack of HD progress, and their emphasis on sticking it to the HD customer.

Matt