• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Xbox 360 in HD

Started by RLJSlick, Friday May 13, 2005, 04:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

I don't know about you guys, but I think the fact that the new Xbox will be hi-def is a boom to HDTV! That thing will be awesome!
Xbox 360

"As previously announced, all Xbox 360 games will be formatted for high definition televisions, with a 16:9 widescreen format, 720p or 1080i resolutions and multichannel surround sound. Games will play on standard televisions as well."
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

RLJSlick

Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

picopir8

I think it will help but I think the biggest boom will come when movies are finally available in HD for rental/purchase (ie bluray or hd-dvd).  Sadly xbox 360 lacks the ability to play HD Movies.  It may sound like bleading edge now, but in about 3 years the console will seem inadequate.  Hopefully it can be hacked or an add-on will be offered to correct this deficiency.

HDefinicktion

Still remember that the Xbox is built and designed by Microsoft...needless to say they propbably planned it this way so that when the time may come for HD movies, a new unit will pop on the market for consumers.  If that is not the case look for serveral service packs the get the system up to speed.... :rofl:

The Law

but...will all the new bluray/hd-dvd DVD players be able to play xbox games....

picopir8

Well M$ did state a while back that there would be 2-3 versions of the new xbox. Im not sure if they are still planning on that or if they decided to have just one.  Perhaps they will have a more feature ritch one as well.

On a simimilar note, they announced at E3 that they would be offering free XP upgrades to add similar features found in the media edition.  This will allow the xbox 360 to access media off the PCs connected to the same network.  So perhaps you will be able to stream HD content from a PC w/ a bluray drive to the xbox over the network.  While not an optimal solution, it would be better than nothing.

Paul S.

The PS3 is soooo gonna own the new Xbox.

RLJSlick

Quote from: Paul S.The PS3 is soooo gonna own the new Xbox.

Not if it comes out a year from now like Sony stated it would!  Only reason PS2 started so well, is because it had a year head start. Just like Apple did with Ipods.
Ricky
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD

Matt Heebner

It's a tough call. As a Playstation to XBOX guy...it was the performance and options (16:9, in game Dolby Digital, etc) that made me want to go to XBOX. Now..I've read some of the XBOX 360 specs, and read some of the PS3 specs and it's going the other way. Blu-Ray drives in the PS3, ability to decode up to 16 HD bandwidth channels at once, a super-refined 4+ Gb processor. Makes me want to go back to Playstation.

I would rather wait for a system with every option that it can be jammed into it, then settle for a promising system that ends up "lacking".  I do love the HALO series though (but HALO 2's ending just about killed me with disappointment).

I think people will wait for PS3.maybe.

Matt

Joseph S

QuoteJust like Apple did with Ipods.

Well Apple beat the XBox 360 to that market too. :D All the XBox 360 demos were run on Apple Hardware. I might get an XBox 360 and PS3, but I'm never going to have my media reliant on Microsoft's DRM. I can play everybody else's DRM solutions on all my machines, Mac and PC. I can't even get Microsoft's to run well in XP without tearing. The iPod just works and anybody can figure it out.

The perceived bonus value on the HT market for the XBox 360 is in leveraging the X800 and Dual Core PPC with Linux or Darwin, not Microsoft's software. Same was true of the original. Sony is supposed to be offering 1080p, Microsoft had better be prepared to do so as well.

GBK

they both have nice "paper" features we'll see how it stacks up when it's actually here.  
I'm leaning towards xbox 360 just because I'll be able to stream HD from my media center pc.. so not only I get games but also tv, audio etc.  and will be here 6 months sooner.. who knows maybe I'll save up enough for a PS3 too :-) Sony can't do it right now the fact that it can do 12 HD streams ... so what where are they coming from BlueRay.. that's one where is the rest ? over the web ha.. not unless they give me 40mb bandwidth connection.  I'm not saying one is better then the other but until I see actual application of this hardware it's hard to say one way or the other.

Paul S.

Quote from: RLJSlickNot if it comes out a year from now like Sony stated it would!  Only reason PS2 started so well, is because it had a year head start. Just like Apple did with Ipods.

Metal Gear 4 !! Thats enough reason  :rock: