• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC digital phone

Started by summerfun, Sunday Apr 03, 2005, 10:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Thank you, but if I understand you correctly, these are NEW Verizon phone numbers-as these are people are former Illinois residents, they did not "port" their old phone numbers.
Verizon allowed some (mine) to be ported over when DPhone just started, it is just that now, some of these residents live near me and now they get shafted by Verizon by needing new phone numbers to get DPhone as they waited a couple months after I did to switch over.

The story from TWC is that TWC no longer has an agreement with Verizon.
I do not blame TWC, only Verizon, as they don't like losing customers-but then, if their service was reasonable, IMO, I would have kept them, wouldn't I? :rolleyes:

gyoung

One question I haven't heard posted about the digital phone is how about international calls?  Do they kill you on the pricing?  Occasionally we make calls to family in India, we don't make too many, but when we do they can sure add up.

summerfun

Quote from: gyoungOne question I haven't heard posted about the digital phone is how about international calls?  Do they kill you on the pricing?  Occasionally we make calls to family in India, we don't make too many, but when we do they can sure add up.

Quote from thier brochure:

Check out our low international rates at //www.timewarnerwi.com. After the first minute, our low international rates are billed in six second increments, rather than billing a full minute when you only use a few seconds like most telephone companies charge (except for Mexico which is rounded up to the next minute). There is no monthly fee just to have access to international calling, you only pay when you make an international call.

Doug Mohr

Vonage is pretty cheap on International calls. Calls to Canada are free and India is 17 cents/min.

Here is a complete list of international rates:

http://www.vonage.com/intrates.php

Doug

summerfun

As promised, I said I would post after my TWC digital phone was installed.

They came this morning, the driver got lost, so I had to talk him in while he was on the cell phone.

I have two lines; he had no idea how to install TWC on only line 1. I told him what to do. His still managed to disconnect my line 2. I had him redo the wiring and I showed him which wires to connect to which terminals in the wall plate to make a two line phone jack work.

He did not bring a long enough phone line to reach the modem, so we had to find a new place to put the modem, and then make a longer coax cable to reach.

He could not get the new line to work at first. He spent a lot of his "on hold" time complaining about TWC and his boss. He left and told me he would call back in ten minutes to test. He did and it did work.

After he left, my internet did not work. I looked and he had not plugged the modem back into my router, quick fix.

I tried to log into email, and all my accounts had been closed. After two hours on the phone with tech support, they disconnected my call. I waited ten minutes for them to call me back, but they never did. Lucky I had the ticket number. I called back, they said that my accounts were gone forever and I would need to create new accounts. I did, but any email that was on the TWC servers will never be recovered.

Now all is put back into place and the new line is working, I am very happy.

PS. This was a contract worker, not a TWC employee. Oh yea, he took a personal call from his grandmother on the company cell phone while he was here and talked to her for awhile.

I almost forgot the best part. I told him I thought the sound was very clear and strong, was there any way to tone it down a little? He told me the volume would "settle down" after a little use. :confused:

mhz40

Gotta archive that one.  It's a winner....

PS: I hope all is well with Gram.
:bang:

sp44again

Wow, I can't wait to see what happens Friday when they try to install mine.  :eek:

gparris

Early on, when Digital Phone was on a trial basis, back in October I got my line installed with 8 jacks, a TWC-installed amp and a separate line from the phone company kept for faxing and home automation (2 lines and desk phones for both).

I was certain the installer would mess up, lose my emails, mess up my phone line TWC wasn't taking and nothing happened except the installer had to get a newer tool for hooking the line up for new homes, but made do and it worked out-took about 2-3 hours maximum with a service and number transfer almost immediately.

So don't fret about what "may" happen..it probably won't.
summerfun still has his service and I didn't go through what he did and could have....good luck! :wave:

summerfun

Except for the WILD DAY of installation, the service is working 100%. I am very pleased.

Gregg Lengling

Even though my modem has lights on it for battery backup ect.....I unplugged it for a minute today to reroute some cables...and guess what NO BATTERY, it went dead.  Good thing it's plugged into my UPS.
 :Smash:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

summerfun

Quote from: Gregg LenglingEven though my modem has lights on it for battery backup ect.....I unplugged it for a minute today to reroute some cables...and guess what NO BATTERY, it went dead.  Good thing it's plugged into my UPS.
 :Smash:
Mine has a "battery low" and "replace battery" light on the front, but I have no idea if it is active. It also as a "second line" light and port on the back and I know for a fact that it is not active. I am still using SBC for my second line until TWC can support two lines. I guess I at least already have the modem in place for that day.

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: summerfunMine has a "battery low" and "replace battery" light on the front, but I have no idea if it is active. It also as a "second line" light and port on the back and I know for a fact that it is not active. I am still using SBC for my second line until TWC can support two lines. I guess I at least already have the modem in place for that day.

Sounds like you have the same modem as me, it's a WebStar.  So I would guess that's why the sales people tell you that the phone won't work during a power outage...they are too cheap to install batteries.
 :bang:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

sp44again

My Digital Phone/HD DVR install was yesterday. As of right now I'm not using either! I have no Digital Phone or HD DVR working. It's the same crap when I was with TW 3-4 years ago. Guy was here almost 3 hours after he showed up early. Hooked everything up to find out SBC wasn't going to port over the number til Monday. Luckily he was able to put me back on SBC til Monday when once again someone has to come out and fix it. After they left I find out my HD DVR doesn't work. Some error about the hard drive when I hit the list button. Wow, this really makes me want to switch from D* to TWC! I know Gregg had better luck but it would be nice if it was common. Also the customer service still sucks. The lady didn't think it was an inconvenience. OK. Gave me a measly $20 credit. Big whoop. I'll give an update on the Digital Phone when it works.

sp44again

Anybody have problems with static or cutting out when someone talks?  Just started yesterday.

Gregg Lengling

Nope been working flawlessly for about a month now.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI