• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DVD Player

Started by picopir8, Wednesday Feb 09, 2005, 01:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picopir8

I have a decent DVD player but I got it back before DVD really took and needless to say it does not have progressive scan capability (though it does have component outputs).  Anyway after having HD for about a year and a half, I find it difficult to watch the blury thing.  While progressive scan still wont compare to HD, I suspect a progressive scan player would improve the picture quality on most DVDs and it will be tolerable.  However, with BluRay around the corner I know I wont have this thing for long so I dont want to spend much money (<$100).  I have seen some progressive scan players for as little as $30.  But how is the picture quality on these things?

Gregg Lengling

You will be amazed at what a Progressive Scan player will do for you.  If you don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred right now there are some in the 125 range that will give you excellent results.  

As far as Blue Ray goes, just remember 2 things...BETA and VHS....there is a war brewing between BluRay and HD-DVD and won't be settled soon.  Also the intro units will be VERY pricey.  

I'd just buy a decent PS DVD for now.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Bebop

Unlike the last war, this time Sony has tons of ammunition. It could be a long one. Or someone will come out with a combo player. :)

Remember DVD audio vs. SACD.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Ralph Kramden

The Toshiba 3960 was rated the best "budget" DVD player at Hometheaterhifi.com. I know Best Buy sells it.

summerfun

I went through the same thought process and replaced a perfectly good SONY non PS DVD player to get the great quality of progressive scan. As it turns out, I don't use the PS feature. I get better PQ with the deinterlacer on the TV set. It was very disappointing.

There are different quality deinterlacers in both TV sets and DVD players, so in my case the one in my TV is better than the one in my DVD player. It is all trial and error and personal preference which way you go to get the best PQ.

I did however pick up better PQ compared to the old SONY DVD player by using the component outputs compared to the composite on the old player so it was worth the change for that reason alone, but you said you already have a player with component outputs.

picopir8

Well I settled on a $60 Hitachi DVP745U.  Not quite bargain basement but the least expensive PS player that still got decent reviews.  I tried it out and it definately has a crisper picture than my sony DVP-S550 (which Ill move to a SDTV).  My only complaint with the new player is that it does not support PAL and there is no region unlock codes (not like they would do any good since only NTSC is supported).  But for $60 Im not going to complain to loud.  Besides, I can always play those on my PC.