News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC HD DVR? Is everyone happy?

Started by Laprok, Thursday Dec 09, 2004, 02:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laprok

There has been alot of controversy concerning TW HD DVR.

Has everyone that owns one, like it? Or do you have a horror story to tell? I'm trying to make up my mind on getting one.

Any input would be helpful.

Laprok

Tom Snyder

Mine works pretty well... only big problems have been user error (not marking a show to be saved till I erase it, and having it "automatically" erased before I remember to watch it).

The one shortcoming is the reported problem of the drop outs that seem to happen when recording two HD shows at the same time.

But otherwise, I LOVE it! :)
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Joel S

Overall I am very pleased with it.  I would hate not to have one.  It is absolutely at least worth trying out.

The only negative to me is the inability to use s-vid or even a reg cable line for analog.

Hophead

I can't imagine not having it...what few minor issues there might be the benifits are far greater!  Go get yours today...

jamisonweber

So far I am pretty happy with the unit. There are a few "issues" that I have come across but the benefit of being able to record HD far outweighs them.

I would highly recommend getting one.

Jamwe

:p

Greg Oman

They've been reliable for you guys?  A friend has been through 4 of these HD-PVR units with his new Sony LCD projection set.  I suggested that maybe he ask for 2 the next time he needs to exchange it :)

Greg O.

oz

It's definitely worth the extra cost. If you already have TWC, try it for a month. You can always cancel if you don't like it.

It's nice to be able to watch HD content all the time. It's also cool to start watching a program ten minutes after its start time – and eventually catch up to the live broadcast as you fast-forward through all of the commercials. In fact, it's a pain to watch non-recorded stuff now because I don't want to sit through all of the commercials. Recorded shows are practically over in 40 minutes and you can move on to something else – like more TV! The programming guide is easy to use and makes it easy to record the entire series of a show – so you won't forget to record something each week.

When I am watching live TV, I can still pause when needed - it's very convenient. The hard drive size could be a bit larger (I think mine is 160GB) but it also makes me manage what I'm keeping since it's almost impossible to watch that much TV sometimes.

Winter in Wisconsin is a great time to try one out – you'll be inside the house most of the time anyway.

mhz40

It will be real sweet when the patch is released to fix the intermittent sound and video issues.  Some improvement on regular viewing has been observed on the latest patch, but it still struggles while recording and watching or sometimes just heavy surfing.

JOHN GRY

We have had HD DVR since Sept. 23, and have had a lot of  audio/sound drops(freezes, tiling). TWC has been to my home 10 times just on this one issue. I am on my fourth HD DVR box. They just can't figure it out. They checked everything fom signal strength, replacing amps and splitters. I still believe it is a software issue but what do I know.

Now that we have the hd dvr I don't want to be with out it! But at what fustration or sacrifice! Hopefully they can fix it soon! But it is cool!
SONY KDS 60A2020
HITACHI 57UWX20B
SONY STR-DE1075 6.1
JBL FRONTS, POLK REARS, 2 JBL CENTERS, 2 ACTIVE 10" JBL SUBS,
D* HD DVR HR21,  (2) D* HD H21, AM21 OTA

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by JOHN GRY
We have had HD DVR since Sept. 23, and have had a lot of  audio/sound drops(freezes, tiling). TWC has been to my home 10 times just on this one issue. I am on my fourth HD DVR box. They just can't figure it out. They checked everything fom signal strength, replacing amps and splitters. I still believe it is a software issue but what do I know.

Now that we have the hd dvr I don't want to be with out it! But at what fustration or sacrifice! Hopefully they can fix it soon! But it is cool!
Customer service should not have even setup the service calls and wasted your time.  It's a known software bug in the DVR code.

JOHN GRY

Thanks fot he insight mhz40.

The hd dvr is truly awesome for people who enjoy TV on the own schedules.

In my situation TWC has put forth a great effort, unfortunately the issue of continous audio & video freezes has not been resolved. As of right now a supervisor in tech support has two lead techs working together on this situation, same two lead techs have been to my home four times now. The tech supervisor has no knowledge of software issues with the DVR, how can TWC tech dept. not be aware of this?
Well any how, hopefully soon the patch will be here and I can truly enjoy my hd dvr...fustration free!
SONY KDS 60A2020
HITACHI 57UWX20B
SONY STR-DE1075 6.1
JBL FRONTS, POLK REARS, 2 JBL CENTERS, 2 ACTIVE 10" JBL SUBS,
D* HD DVR HR21,  (2) D* HD H21, AM21 OTA