News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Splitting the signal to upstairs/downstairs.

Started by Riktar, Thursday Aug 12, 2004, 07:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riktar

What would be the best pre-amplifier to start the process with? CM 7778? 7777? What the difference between the 2? And for splitting the signal?

I realize that splitting the signal will probably nix ANY HOPE I ever had of pulling in Fox 6 but so be it. Maybe I will be able to grab Fox out of Green Bay or Madison. All I am concerned with is getting the Packers anyway.

tazman

I guess it's kinda hard to gage.  Are your signals all on the week side right now, with out any amplification and splitting?  Then go with one of the inlines that you listed before you do the splitting.  Otherwise if you have relatively strong signals from your antenna and are worried about loss do to splitting, I would have to say get one of their distribution amps with the gain controll on it.  That way you could adjust it to make up just enough to compensate for any splitting loss.  I see they have units that will do up to 8 feeds right out of the box.  http://www.channelmaster.com/Pages/TVS/DistributnAmps.htm   I could be wrong on this, but that would seem logical to me.:)
I personally don't have experiance with the CM units.  They have to be better than the RatShack ones that I've tried.:mad:

Riktar

As of now WTMJ and WISN come in like gangbusters. UPN and CBS come in so-so with some pixelzation but playing with the rotor usually makes for a watchable experience. Witi and Ch 18 (Digital) are a lost cause. I can live without 18 since I am not a WB follower anyways.

Almost forgot that 10 and 36 come in without issues.

While the wife does prefer Witi for the news coverage she can live with just using a different stations news/weather.

The ONLY thing I want is to be able to pull the Packers in. I don't give a rip what station I use for that.

My house is a 100+ year old farmhouse with a VERY steep roof. The thought of just going up there to remove the pre-amp gives me the shakes. If I am going to go up there I only want top do it ONE MORE TIME.

I am fully prepared to deal with wind/storm damage if it occurs but I don't relish the thought of going up and down that roofline just to do field experiments in reception.

And so I look to get a concensus from you folks (The ones without steep roofs) who have legged out the possibilities and can give me a go, no-go on what kind of pre-amp or, just eliminate the pre-amp and go with a distribution amp.

tazman

GotYa on that roof, 2 stories up on a 12/12 pitch no thanks.  I get that tingley feeling you know where just climbing my 35' tower:eek: .