News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

I'm on the waiting list

Started by Mike Sura, Monday Mar 08, 2004, 03:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

summerfun

Thanks for your help mhz40. Mums the word....:hug:

Counting down the days.

Paul S.

QuoteOriginally posted by summerfun
Thanks for your help mhz40. Mums the word....:hug:

Counting down the days.

Marc G

Any confirmation from the inside if there really is a list or do they just pretend to write down your name as a way of saying "Stop calling everyday. you'll know it's available when your neighbor has one." ;)

mhz40

Yes, there is a list....
MHz40

shimmer11

To get on "the list", which Time Warner telephone # are you calling?

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by shimmer11
To get on "the list", which Time Warner telephone # are you calling?
Just the regular number and ask for a customer care rep.

Call us at 1-800-627-2288 (Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Waukesha County and Ozaukee County) or 1-800-933-4662 (Racine, Kenosha and Lake Geneva).

shimmer11

Thanks!  I will get on the list!

Marc G

gb4fan92

So are these DVR's going to be in such short supply that if you are not on the list you will not get one for a long time??

mhz40

QuoteOriginally posted by gb4fan92
So are these DVR's going to be in such short supply that if you are not on the list you will not get one for a long time??
It's obviously gonna depend on the demand ... so for now; outside the group: Shhhh!!;)
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  I'm sure TW will do thier best to stock enough without building another warehouse to hold 'em....

MHz40

kjnorman

So when are TWC likely to have these available?

I would be willing to reconnect TW just for the ability to record the locals in HD.  Basic service ($13 - does this still exist?) + DVR box rental for $8 - $10 it would seem worth it, as a DirecTV HD Tivo is $1000.  

I would still keep my DirecTiVo though for "cable" channels.

Kerry

summerfun

QuoteOriginally posted by kjnorman
Basic service ($13 - does this still exist?) + DVR box rental for $8 - $10 it would seem worth it, as a DirecTV HD Tivo is $1000.  
Don't count on that deal being available. You are required to purchase the digital package to have the SD DVR box. I don't see them letting you have the HD DVR box without the digital package.

All that said, I still think TWC is the best deal going. You should think about dumping DirecTV and let TWC handle your whole package.

gparris

Summerfun is right. I don't know what issues you had with TWC in the past, but the past installs I have done for friends and neighbors was exceptionally amazing, without any problems or messups. Maybe you have old cable in your neighborhood as my experiences were with new or newer lines, if that was the problem in the past. Or perhaps, CSRs you got were in training...none I have talked to in the past 3 months gave any misinformation or trouble.;)

I tried doing pricing comparison using TC with locals $42.99,  the complete $41 movie package, plus HD for $10.99 and added for 2 HD TIvos ($4.99 extra room plus $4.99 for Tivo Service) plus tax: Approx. $110/month. But this still means no HD locals.  I also missed the InHD 1 & 2 channels, even if I added another $12 for basic cable, 2 HD boxes and the complete total was around $142/month. I still had no HD DVR for HD locals or the extra HD channel package for In HD 1 & 2 was still missing from the picture...pun intended.
The TWC package was $90.40  for all premiums like DTV, plus $6.95 for the HD package and $15.90 for 2 HD DVRs and $10 for their DVR service on 2 boxes: adding tax and franchise fees, the total was about $136/month.

So you aren't spending any less in this scenario with either service, just getting fewer HD channels, even if you decide to fight with an antenna, like so many in this forum do. The rental boxes are for service and covers the cost of the box over time and you get free replacement and upgrades. You certainly will not be coughing up a thousand dollars a HD DVR box, either.

:cool:

If you think my scenario is a little extreme for pricing, you are WRONG.  Enough folks in my area have DONE it or are about to (with the HD DVR) and they aren't wealthy or anything.  One has the family room screen and the other screen is in the master bedroom.;)

Your situation and others may be different, but in this scenario, it is about breakeven, except for no upfront equipment purchases and the HD channel availability.:wave:

borghe

your DTV math is all correct (I should know, I have exactly that setup) except that if you have two HD Tivo's like you said you would be able to record local HD OTA.... there would be no reason to get a separate service... the only problem channel I ever had with my rabbit ears was 6... and that was with some cheap RCA amplified indoor.. moving to an RS DBT I got great signals on everything and could even get 6 with some begging and pleading...

gparris

I knew my figures were accurate...I had the same package - before the price increase and the HD package right before I moved to an apartment...you are the on same page with me.:D

The point is:
You have to go with what works for you, but if you're talking no OTA with your HD, then go to TWC for it - and get the whole works, every HD channel available from them and don't do sat and cable, thinking you're going to save any money.
 Otherwise, why bother with HDTV at all? :rolleyes:

When TWC finally gets its HD DVRs-it will be something!