• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New DVD Player

Started by Dan the Man, Monday Feb 09, 2004, 06:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

I am in the market for a new DVD player. My current player is not progressive scan.

I am looking for a few comments from the group. If you are willing to offer up info, this is what I am looking for:

1.  Throw out a make/model number. This could be one you own, or one you know about.

2.  What you think makes it worthwhile - i.e. processing, features, performance, etc.

3.  Any bad equipment experience?

My price range is open. Don't really want to spend over $500 though. Don't care about multi-disc players. Don't care about goofy bells and whistles. Picture quality and performance is #1.

Thanks!

Todd Wiedemann

Dan -

I recently purchased a Philips DVD727 from Amazon.com.

It's progressive scan, digital out. Best of all, it can be region-free.

PM me if you want details.

brewtownska

I'm also in the market, and I've narrowed my next purchase down to the Denon 2200.  I think it's got the Silicon Image Progressive Scan chip in it, and it also does DVD-Audio and SACD.  List price is over your $500 price range, but online you can usually get it below $500.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Bebop

There are few new DVI/HDMI 720p/1080i players coming out in the next few months. Most of them are under $300.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

jkane

Take a look at the new read/write DVD machines.  They are getting under $500 now.  Even saw one for less than $300 the other day!  I have the Philips 75.  It is progressive scan.  And I have no real problems with it.  The biggest complaint is the remote.  And the way they deal with fast forward.  You press to skip chapter, and press and hold for fast forward.  If I were to use one buttone for the same function, it would be short press for fast forward, and hold for skip chapter.  Duh!

Anyhow, I don't know about the other brands of writers, but if you have a $500 budget, look into them.

Todd Wiedemann

Sorry, Dan. I guess my recommendation was a bit more "bargain basement."

I'm very happy with it, though. The picture is outstanding, progressive scan. It's very slim, has a nice remote, and plays anything you can throw at it.

Check out DVDrhelp as you are researching. I've found it invaluable.

oz

QuoteOriginally posted by Bebop
There are few new DVI/HDMI 720p/1080i players coming out in the next few months. Most of them are under $300.

Where can I find info on these? What brands?

Dan the Man

As I understand it, the only way to get this level of scanning is through the DVI output. Is that true?

My rear projection Pioneer TV has the standard component inputs, and one 15 pin RGB input. It does not have a DVI connection.

Will these next generation DVD players send the HD signal out on the component connections as well?

BTW - This is all really good feedback. I like that Denon model, but I will wait if these new players will output HD thru the component cables.

Bebop

Skip the 931, Samsung's new replacement is coming out soon.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

QuoteBTW - This is all really good feedback. I like that Denon model, but I will wait if these new players will output HD thru the component cables.

Due to copy protection, you'll not see any new ones. But, if you can get your hands on the LiteOn 2001, which is also region free and can output 480p/720p/1080i through component.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

drgingras

Dan, how's your intestinal fortitude these days? These 2 appear to fit your requirements (Faroujda, no chroma bug, upconvert on component, good PQ, budget):

Momitsu V880

LG DV7832NX

Note that I have no experience with these players. I've been fence-sitting on these since the holidays.

Since the US version of the LG (Zenith DVB318) is supposed to be available now, I'm now waiting for a local B&M to make one available for "critical review":D

Dave
I kinda thought that might happen ...