• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Signal Splitting Line Loss Question

Started by Tom Snyder, Thursday Nov 06, 2003, 10:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

We've moved the furniture in our bedroom around in a way that now makes it impossible to see the TV from the bathroom (yeah I know you feel sorry for me). :rolleyes:

I want to mount a small tv in the bathroom and use the same "out" feed from the DirecTV box that powers the set in the bedroom so that both TV's are just displaying the identical signal.

So here's my question. Can I split the out signal from the box in two and send one to TV that the box is sitting on, and then take the other split and send it to the other set via a 15 foot cable run without significant loss?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Gregg Lengling

Are you feeding the RF signal or are you talking Composite video.  Either way the you should have enough.  But usually the boxes have 2 sets of connectors for Composite and stereo audio.  I've never used the RF out always ran the 3 plug setup.  The one in my bedroom has the 3 cables going to the set and the other set of 3 cables going to my 2gig transmitter to send it to the other sets.  I've got receivers in the kitchen, office, garage and hot tub with the IR repeaters built-in so I can change channels at any of those locations.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

RF Signal.. just a basic Sony DirecTV box.

Where did you get  your transmitters and receivers?
Tom Snyder

Gregg Lengling

X10.com

I have a spare Sony box...and it's got two sets of Composite and stereo......
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

Any place to get wireless tranmitters here in town?  

I'll have to check my box when I get home...  It's a Sony SAT-B55..

It's just been sitting since we built the house and TWC ran cable. Long story, but the cable feed and the satellite feed were supposed to come in from the same approximate entry point.  TWC ended up having to come in from the opposite end.  They were willing to wire the whole joint for cable at no charge, so I figured what the heck.  As long as the bedroom was already wired,  and I would have had to run separate cable for satellite.. and the drywall guys came two days early (see.. told you it was a long story)...  I just hooked cable up to the TV, and I've kept it that way for two years.  

Time to get off my rear-end and hook up the Sony.
Tom Snyder

bkoutsky

Tom,
I also have a Sony Sat 55 and it does have 2 RF outs.  You should use a cable that will maintain 75 ohm like a Monster Video 3, M500, or M1000.  That will give you the best possible picture through the RF (SVideo would be the best off that box).

Hope it helps