News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

2nd floor Attic or 1st floor roof?

Started by Riktar, Wednesday Sep 10, 2003, 03:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riktar

I am about 45 miles from Milwaukee and was wondering if I should sacrifice elevation for exposure.

I know I will lose about 1/2 the signal being in the attic, but what would I lose lowering the antenna about 10 feet, yet keeping it outdoors.

From where I am looking it appears Holy Hill is between me and the transmitters in Milwaukee.

As hot as it's been I only want to do this once since the attic and the outside roof are going to be less than fun on a day like today. Not to mention stringing the coax and having to redo.

Thanks

Kevin Arnold

I would go for outside and add a rotor if you can.  That way you can get Madison (easily) and Green Bay giving you quite a choice.  Another way of doing this would be to set the antenna in the attic hanging on a nail and run the coax down the stairway setting up a temp set up to see how it works.  Good luck.
Kevin Arnold

Riktar

Thanks for the advice. At this point I am just looking to get Milwaukee. The first floor roof wouldn't really need a rotor since I could just go out a 2nd floor window to twiddle the antenna.

I can just see myself going out every Sunday to turn the antenna just so I can watch the Packers. I am hoping Madison's FOX channel puts out better than Milwaukee.

I should note that the first floor roof would be blocked by the House's 2nd floor which is directly in the way of Madison.

Me thinks the first floor roof will be the first test since the attic has no lights, and poossibly a horde of Wasps or Hornets waiting for me.

Just for the sake of reference the antenna is a RatShack 15-2160

I'll let you know how it goes,

Rick

Matt Heebner

I am living like 8 mi. from the where FAUX is transmitting and I cant get a signal at all. I highly doubt being 45 miles you will ever get FAUX. Madison however might be a different story.

Matt

Riktar

Well now I am a little disappointed. I haven't tried the attic yet, but the results on the first floor roof ain't too good.

While I must admit I never had analog reception this (Pretty much crystal) good on 18 & 24, 58 is a bit snowy and I still can't lock a digital signal to save my butt.

Granted I just "eyeballed" Milwaukee but I don't think I am that far off since 18 & 24 are great. Then again maybe I have to get all 3 (18, 24, and 58) dialed in before I can assume I am pointed in the right direction.

Of course I could just get out a compass and aim dead on 118 degrees since that is what antennaweb says.

Interestingly enough, according to that site I should have an easier time getting the digital (Light green) vs the "tougher" analog (blue) channels.

Then again, maybe my WinTV-D card is fried on the digital tuner?

Back out into the inky blackness I go,,,,,,,,,

davezen2

I live in a second story apartment not too far from you in Hartford.  Using a Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna I can pick up all Milwaukee stations (except faux 6 of course), as well as a couple out of Mayville, and PBS out of Madison.

Riktar

Oh thanks! I feel so much better now.:bang:

But seriously, I have a Silver sensor which didn't do much for me on UHF. But hear is a bit of wierdness: Fox 6, I repeat 6, not 33 came in like gangbusters on the Silver Sensor. Wierd huh?

Hartford is close, but you do have 7 less miles to the towers than me.

I don't know what it is about this location but when it comes to ANYTHING (Cell phones, etc,) that is wireless you are lucky to get anything from my location.

Anyway an update: either my compass is goofed or 118 degrees is just plain wrong. 18 & 24 now look much worse. 58 seems about the same, maybe a little better I don't know.

So back out I go onto my roof. At least the moon provides a little light.

Edit update: NUTS!!!! I can bring in 18 & 24 just great. 58 is till snowy, but I can't get a digital signal to save my butt! Heck I was even pulling 32 (Analog) out of Chicago and Channel 57 (Analog) from somewhere. What gives with this damn card? I tried bothe antenna inputs with the same results.

Triple ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Riktar

Well it's now morning and the damn wasps are going to make it tough to do any adjustments until the sun goes down.

Here is what I ended with last night:

Analog - 18, 24, and 58 all come in great. Channel 57 from Janesville? is coming in with a VERY watchable picture.

Digital - zip, nada, nothing.

Just before I hit the sack I determined that my best reception was at (About) 90 degrees on the compass. It was dark, I was tired and I might be off a bit. But I definately was pointed pretty much dead on east and getting GREAT analog reception.

Checking Antennaweb.org shows that all (Digital and Analog)
 stations should come in with the antenna pointed at 118-117 degrees. And to rehash what the site said I should have a tougher time getting an analog signal than the digital one. Yah right.

The antenna I am using is the Ratshack 15-2160 with a 15-1170 inline Signal amp. The RG6 is a 50 foot run.

Does anyone with a WinTV-D have any advice based on their experiences with this card?

Does it seem a bit odd that the analog would come in very nicely but the digital isn't doing squat?

Kevin Arnold

From what you are describing you should be able to get WISN 34 and WTMJ 28 without any problem. It looks like a card problem and not the antenna.
Kevin Arnold

Riktar

My final report: Nojoy on digital. Just for the sake of having the best possible antenna I ordered a CM 4228 and mounted it on a 16 foot pole off the SE corner of my house pointed at Milwaukee.

Interestingly enough when I try to get 50 out of Mayville I am registering a signal but it isn't enough to lock on. And this is with the antenna pointed the wrong way! As in towards Milwaukee.

On the bright side I have the best analog signal ever for Milwaukee stations. As a matter of fact this UHF antenna pulls in 12 and 10 like gangbusters! Go figure.

I am going to sit back and take a break from this. Who knows maybe I can get my hands on a STB or another card for the PC to see if different tuners would help.

Thanks to all that replied in this thread as well as the emails.

John L

If I recall right yer using the same equipment (Hauppauge Win-TV-D) I am, but I live closer to Milwaukee (12 miles).  I was on the roof and adjusted the antenna more towards Milwaukee.  Most of the analog stations come in well. I have no trouble getting WMVS-DT, WTMJ-DT, WISN-DT, and WMVT-DT.  However I also have a Radio Shack VHF-UHF antenna connected to it as well. The antenna does have a connection for 75 ohm outdoor antenna so that you can switch between the indoor antenna and outdoor.  If I adjust the indoor antenna just right I can get WCGV-DT, WVTV-DT, WDJT-DT, WVCY-DT, and WPXE-DT, but it requires moving the antenna each time.

Now I wonder, at one time back in the days of analog I used to have a rf amp on the outdoor antenna and I have it put away in my drawer. I wonder if I were to put it back on the outdoor antenna because that thing does 20 db gain...chances are I should get ALL the DTV signals with no problems and if I go and put a rotor on it so I can point it to chicago...  I may actually get some DTV from Chicago.  Hmmm...be worth a try to spend some money and do it before winter.

I used to have both the rf amp and a rotor on the antenna. I remove the rotor because it stopped working, the motor froze. Thou I still have the control box and hopefully I can still use the control box but just get a new rotor and put it up there.

I recall when I had both the rotor and rf amp working I was able to receive LPTV stations in Chicago and Rockford and sometimes a couple of LPTVs in Michigan and sometimes they came in very clear.  If that being the case I might find myself receiving all DTV signals from chi-town and maybe Madison as well.

I'll let you know if I decide to take the plunge.

-John L.

Riktar

Hi John,
 Thanks for the reply. I am using a Ratshack amp to try and help. It is the model that incorporates a seperate unit that attaches to the antenna and the amp section is inside the house. I believe it is the "push" type.

Interestingly enough the guy at RS said that if the signal is boosted too much it can cause problems so I should consider adding an inline "adjuster" that could tone down the signal if needed.

Me thinks this is just a sales pitch.

And yes I am using the WinTV-D card.

John L

so I should consider adding an inline "adjuster" that could tone down the signal if needed.

Its a "attenuator".  I have one, and it works great if your signal is being amplified too much. Radio Shack also sells the "TV-VCR Signal Overload Attenuator". Don't know the Cat. #  but it will work if you get any other rf signals interfering with the main receiving frequency.

I am gonna find some Saturday afternoon and pull out my amp and place it back online in hopes to further improve receiving HD signals, especially 22, 25, 46, and 61.  It would be a miracle if WITI-DT suddenly appeared.  heh!

-John L.

Riktar

Good News! I picked up a Samsung T150 STB and finally I am getting HDTV signals from Milwaukee. Trying to figure out what I am getting is difficult since I haven't yet figured out just how this thing is orgainizing the channels. They seem to be all over the place.

So far I cam get most everything I want except for Channel 6 (Duh) and channel 58. Of course I am refering to the analogue channel names.

I am going to remove the inline amplifier from my 4228 antenna to see if that helps grab CBS.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Riktar

Also thanks to all that responded to this thread.