• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Wireless

Started by Gregg Lengling, Tuesday Jun 10, 2003, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Well now that I'm retired and it's summer (well at least Wisconsin's version of it), I finally decided that I needed to get Internet access out to my notebook computer on the patio.  Thought I'd go wireless, although I wasn't going to play with the 2.4 gig stuff for a couple reasons.  First I send my basic satellite video (NTSC) to all my extra TV's on 2.4 and it would screw it up, I found this out when I tried 2.4 cordless phones...ended up going back to 900 megs.  Plus 2.4 is getting so garbaged up and the 802.11g products, while offering great speed have problems with other 2.4 devices nearby.  

SO I opted for Netgears 802.11a solution at 5.2 GHz.  I bought a DSL/Cable router base station, which also has a 4 port Cat5 lan incorporated.  I've got that by the computer in the Family Room where the main computer and DSL are.  Then I bought a Cardbus Card for the Notebook and a standard card for the computer in my back office.  Guess what I think my mom could've made it work.  I had the main computer and notebook up and running in less than 15 minutes.  Now the 5.2 gig stuff is more expensive (base HR314NA for $361.37, cardbus HA501NA or $84.41 and PCI NIC  HA311NA for $122.32) but it works great..even when the signal gets low I'm still getting about 24mbps throughput...in the house I get the full 54mbps.  I guess it really doesn't matter as the DSL is only 784kbps.

Anyhow now that I'm on the patio with no cords...just thought I'd pass on this NetGear stuff works great...and found the best price at PCNation in Illinois...no sales tax, no shipping charge.  Ordered yesterday and showed up FedEx ground this morning.

TTFN
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

jlegge

God, I love my wireless network....... Isn't technology great! And you were not lying when you said it was easy...... My father-in-law managed to get his up and running without the usual "tech support" call to my cell phone.

If only everything else would play so well with each other!  :hug:

Todd Wiedemann

We use LinkSys 5.4 Ghz for our training facility at work.

It works great. No issues in any way, with a mix of PCMCIA and PCI (desktop) cards. 12 in all.

Range is limited (the 2.4Ghz 802.11b are better in that respect).

Matt Heebner

I have been using the Linksys 802.11b router and PCMCIA card for my laptop for a few months now. I really enjoy it and it was very simple to set up. Range is totally great as I have walked around my entire yard and only had a drop underneath power lines.
I have two 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, and have had absolutely no problems what so ever when on the network, even while talking on them right next to my laptop.

My cable connection is as fast as the still wired desktop, and I've clocked the wireless transfer speeds fro desktop to notebook at just about 5 Mbs/sec. Not too shabby.....

Matt

RobbQ

I agree Matt, I also have 802.11b and 2.4 Ghz phones that show no signs of interference.  I have been running the wireless network for about two years now and have had no problems though I did question how they might work together.   I have the original Apple Airport and it works great with the PC's and Apples.  

I had hoped to find the wireless network to be a learning experience.  Unfortunately it all works so smooth and easy that I haven't gotten to learn much about it.  :)

What are people using for wireless PC cards for 802.11b or g?  I need another one and I am jealous of my wife's ibook with no external card.  I would like to find something that does not stick out too much.  Sony seems to have the most flush mounted card that I have seen.  Any suggestions?  Any cards to stay away from?

Gregg Lengling

You have to read into my post to understand why I didn't go 2.4..it wasn't so much the interference between other 2.4 spread spectrum devices...it was the analog video units I have at home...the lan would rip it up just like 2.4 phones ripped it up....
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Greg Oman

Interesting approach Gregg.  I bumped the phones to 5.8ghz to make way for the 802.11g as it has a bit more range, and compatibility with 802.11b.  Here's a great chart I found for someone looking for a high level comparison:

http://www.linksys.com/edu/wirelessstandards.asp

Always like to hear what others are doing and the factors that influenced those choices.

Thanks Gregg!

Greg O.

RickNeff

Yeah, I have a 802.11 wireless hub and 2 wireless NICs (one on an old desktop and one on a laptop) without any major problems.  Well, on the Windows side anyway...the wireless NIC I have doesn't have any support for Linux, but that's not really critical.  At least for the wireless machine it's on.

But my wife loves the wireless on the laptop machine.  She can be downstairs watching TV while doing work she brings home occationally.  And with DSL, it's nice to be able to jump to a related Web site while a show is still going on or the like.

For me, most of my machines are wired (I mean, what's the point of a "computer room" if you can't cram it with computers? ;)  ) but the wireless stuff is rather nice to have.