• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Road Runner upload is non-existant

Started by Mark Strube, Thursday May 29, 2008, 04:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Strube

I feel like ranting about this stupid problem with Road Runner.

I have their Turbo package, which gives me 15 mbps down, 1 mbps up. I tried uploading some pictures to both Flickr and Facebook tonight, nothing. The upload just hangs. I run a Speakeasy speed test, I'm getting the full speed down, and the upload test hangs. I run the same test at speedtest.wi.rr.com, and I have full upload and download, no issues. This tells me it's a problem with their network, but just to appease the inevitable troubleshooting questions their CSR's will give me, I try connecting the cable modem straight to my computer without the router, and rebooting the cable modem. Same problem on both my MacBook (OS X) and Mac Mini (XP).

I then did a little research, and found THIS, which tells me of 3 bad IP address ranges in the RR network, that are notorious for giving upload speed problems. I happen to be on the 3rd IP pool mentioned. (I also already tried cloning a different MAC address in my router to force an IP change, and was unsuccessful.) Armed with this information, I call tech support, talking to probably 5 different people over the course of the night at both tier 1 and tier 2 (tier 3 isn't there until 7:30am)... they insist that they see a perfect connection on their end. I repeat again and again that their own speed test, inside the RR network, is the only thing that gives me any kind of upload speed. I also state it is odd I'm able to browse or chat on IM, since that requires some small amount of upload to begin with... it just seems file transfers hang. They said only tier 3 would be able to give me a new IP address, but still implying it's not their problem.

So, there it is. All I want is a new IP address, because THEY have speed problems with certain ranges, but of course nobody seems to know of the issue, and I get my time wasted on the phone all night.

I've been having a lot of random speed and connectivity problems lately, just like many others in the Milwaukee area, which I can easily assume is at least partially related to them testing with traffic shaping. But to just have absolutely no upload capability for hours on end is unacceptable.

Tom Snyder

We're having the same problem here this morning. Always great to to be an Internet company when your Internet connection doesn't work. :bang:

Fortunately, it's just our office... we host our sites at an outside location that has never had a problem. But Roadrunner Business Class is just a chronic headache.

First viable alternative that comes along will get our business.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

basshive

RR Turbo here in Waterford. This is about as bad as I have seen service aside from a full on outage. Cannot use any webmail services. Cannot upload (forget even trying). Some sites load ok but anything you have to interact with is basically a no go. This is really bad when you work from home.. ;/
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Bebop

Just did a speed test. The upload is fine, but the download is halved.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Jack 1000

I am also experiencing very, very slow Road Runner today as well.  It could be because of the changes on the network with the 2 HD channels added, the removal of some of the 800 series movie channels and other traffic issues because of the change-over.

Tomorrow they are merging Golf on Demand into Sports on Demand, so hopefully, as part of the same network, we will get speed back up to normal by that time.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

basshive

QuoteI am also experiencing very, very slow Road Runner today as well. It could be because of the changes on the network with the 2 HD channels added, the removal of some of the 800 series movie channels and other traffic issues because of the change-over.

I really do not think the 2 are related. If so, it is 100% unacceptable. Many of us do not subscribe to TWC for tv services. The notion that everyone would suffer while some channels are added/moved/merged is ridiculous.  Maybe they have come up with their own Modem OS now and are starting the rollout. Now that, that sounds like TWC.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

kevbeck122

QuoteRed   
5/29/2008 1:02:00 PM

CUSTOMER'S IN THE MILWAUKEE AREA MAY BE EXPERIENCING SLOW BROWSING AT THIS TIME.

It's on their network status page (http://www.help.rr.com/HMSLogic/network_status.aspx), which is nearly impossible to find.

I have no upload either.

Mark Strube

Just got off the phone with Tier 3... they were definitely more helpful, and didn't treat me like I was an absolute moron. He said they are aware of the issue, got my IP and had me run a few more speed tests. He said they'll be working exclusively on this and hopefully have it up & running as soon as possible. He also said it should be a lot sooner than a week, which is how long it took in March when the same problem cropped up and was related to certain IP pools.

Also, an interesting tidbit... according to him the only way to get a new IP address is by getting a new modem from them. Even Tier 3 is unable to grant a new IP due to their DHCP system.

Tom Snyder

QuoteJust got off the phone with Tier 3
The CSR I spoke to tried to escalate me to Tier 3, but he said they were all just swamped. He had me do a bunch of traceroutes, and the speeds are decent inside the rr.com system... it's when you leave and get to the first few hops outside of rr. Hitting "no responses" outside of their sysytem... in Missouri and Illinois.
Quoteit should be a lot sooner than a week,
:eek:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

steve053

At my job on Germantown we have TWC internet (big pipe, T1 or more) and we had problems most of today.  It's better now, but we were complaining and were told that it was a large problem by TWC.

Mark Strube

Interesting about the mixed reports here. Do some of you have very slow upload right now? Or do most of you have absolutely no upload like myself?

Try going to Speedtest.net... the download should be acceptable, but in my case the upload doesn't even give a result. Another good test is trying to upload a decent-sized picture to Flickr or ImageShack.us (50-100kb) ... it seems we have miniscule upload, otherwise simple stuff like browsing and IM-ing wouldn't even work. However anything that requires sustained transfer just times out.

Jack 1000

Quote from: Mark Strube;46582Interesting about the mixed reports here. Do some of you have very slow upload right now? Or do most of you have absolutely no upload like myself?

Try going to Speedtest.net... the download should be acceptable, but in my case the upload doesn't even give a result. Another good test is trying to upload a decent-sized picture to Flickr or ImageShack.us (50-100kb) ... it seems we have miniscule upload, otherwise simple stuff like browsing and IM-ing wouldn't even work. However anything that requires sustained transfer just times out.

That's what I have also Mark,

Very slow,  VERY, VERY, slow uploads.  Browsing is a little better but not much.  Sites with multiple pages or frames forget about it.  I can barely get my Yahoo Mail.

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;46583That's what I have also Mark,

Very slow,  VERY, VERY, slow uploads.  Browsing is a little better but not much.  Sites with multiple pages or frames forget about it.  I can barely get my Yahoo Mail.

Jack

Ahhhh,

Something just pushed through and my speed is almost back up to normal.

Jack

Mark Strube

Same here... looks like my upload is back to normal. For now at least.

HDefinicktion

Finally got time to read this thread and glad I did...my remote access from work back to my house was terrible today....dropped the connection at least three times before I gave up.  Now after reading this, speed tests show that everything is back to normal at 15 down and 1 up.  Lets hope it stays this way...