News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Good News? Bad News?

Started by Jimboy, Saturday Dec 30, 2006, 07:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboy

Due to new FCC regulations regarding multicast sub-channels The Tube will be dropped from 24-2.

Bad news if you like the channel, good news if you dislike multicasting as the bitrate will go back up for 24-1. (at least until the next project comes along)

Programming ends at 5pm on Dec 31st. 24-2 will be turned off at that time.

Cheers, and have a safe and Happy New Years. Glug2

Tom Snyder

While I do dislike multi-channel, I have enjoyed the tube! It's a shame that it's going away. So how does this affect you, but not WDJT and WMLW? Or channel 10?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Jimboy

Quote from: Tom Snyder;36819While I do dislike multi-channel, I have enjoyed the tube! It's a shame that it's going away. So how does this affect you, but not WDJT and WMLW? Or channel 10?

The new rules affect all broadcasters.

New Children programming requirements
New EAS requirements among a few others.
Even some new requirements for the visually impaired.

Gregg Lengling

Could you point us to these new rules...I've not found anything on the FCC website regarding this?
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Jimboy

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;36821Could you point us to these new rules...I've not found anything on the FCC website regarding this?

It's not like this stuff came out last week.....the enforcement starts 1-1-07

Drink plenty of liquid with this dry material. I'll add more when I find it.

Kids Programming  http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-143A1.pdf

EAS Requirements http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-191A1.pdf

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LoadStar

Quote from: Bebop;36824Cliffs Notes:

http://www.wilmerhale.com/publications/whPubsDetail.aspx?publication=3525

Even shorter cliff's notes:

The more programming you offer, the more E/I programming you have to offer (even if some of that programming is on a subchannel.)

To answer the question from before, channel 10 is probably safe, because they have the MPTV Kids channel which, when combined with the main MPTV and the MPTV Later channels, more than cover them.

WDJT/WMLW is likewise probably safe, because each station already had to meet the pre-existing analog E/I requirements.

WCGV/The Tube is not OK, because The Tube offers no E/I programming. WCGV would likely have to double the number of E/I programs they offer currently (assuming they're currently offering the minimum number of hours of E/I).

Joseph S

I sure hope this good news is spread to all markets. Glug2 At this point I'm still stuck with NBC multicast, but the rest I do have full bandwidth alternatives.

klwillis45

Any chance of TWC picking up The Tube and sticking by MTV2, Fuse, etc.?
(Yes, I realize this is a silly question)

LoadStar

Quote from: Joseph S;36826I sure hope this good news is spread to all markets. Glug2 At this point I'm still stuck with NBC multicast, but the rest I do have full bandwidth alternatives.

Hrm. This is an interesting point. I forgot about WTMJ/Weather+. Does WTMJ have enough E/I programs to cover both stations? Or are they going to have to break away from Weather+ to insert an E/I program?

Milwaukee12

Quote from: LoadStar;36829Hrm. This is an interesting point. I forgot about WTMJ/Weather+. Does WTMJ have enough E/I programs to cover both stations? Or are they going to have to break away from Weather+ to insert an E/I program?

NBC Weather+ has E/I programming almost once an hour, so I am guessing we are stuck with it.

SRW1000

I will be one of those that misses the Tube, since they were my only outlet for actual music videos from the days I remember.

Considering some of the "programming" that passes for E/I content, couldn't the Tube's programming be considered E/I?  "Hey kids, look at what used to pass for music television back when your parents were growing up!"  Sounds like a good history lesson to me. :D

It looked like the encoding had just been improved lately, too.  I didn't see as much pixelization recently during fast-moving scenes.

Scott

TT123

Da Man4799

Here's another one missing the tube. Dam I listened to this everyday while I did my web surfing. I noticed it yesterday and thought there was something wrong with the signal. Came here today and BAM:( :( :(  BAD NEWS.

Later, Daman

Sparkman87

Still on WGN 9-2 & ch 197 on Comcast here.