News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

More Power RRR

Started by Jimboy, Wednesday May 31, 2006, 11:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboy

The conversion process to full power operation is starting today (Wednesday 5/31). During the next few days and possibly through next week both 18-1 & 24-1 will be off the air (at times) so the work can be completed. Depending on the scope of the work this may or may not affect Primetime programming, my guess is that it probably will.

I will post when the conversion is done and everything is up & running.  :)

Gregg Lengling

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH....the long wait is over...especially for those of us that have been around here for over 5 years as we watched the digital transition.  Of course because of that we all have great antennas and didn't have problems with the lower power signals (of course except for Faux6 when they were at their studio tower).  

Glad to see the transition is in progress, of course in a few years we'll have to watch as the channels change with the relocation process.

:wave:
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Jimboy

As of today the low power modifications have been removed from both transmitters (channel 25 & channel 61). If we're on the air it's now at full power.
The work is expected to be completed by Friday afternoon barring any major setbacks.

Todd Wiedemann

Quote from: JimboyAs of today the low power modifications have been removed from both transmitters (channel 25 & channel 61). If we're on the air it's now at full power.
The work is expected to be completed by Friday afternoon barring any major setbacks.

Nice ! Thanks for the update, Jim.

Let us know if you'd like reception reports from various areas and times of day.

We've helped out many of the other broadcasters in the same way ...

Joseph S

18, which was unavailable without specifically aiming for it previously at Tosa/MKE border, is now 81-83% which correlates to about an error per 4-5 hours based on other channel history. Can't see 24 at all from this antenna position.

Would like to get UPN in HD to record Supernatural so I don't have to blow my remote HDPVR's chance to catch CSI in full res tonight. Is 24 up? I can move the antenna tonight to try, but can't leave it there as everything else is rock solid at the current sweet spot.

Don't forget to nominate yourself as Sinclair employee of the year. You should win hands down given the lack of national candidates. ;) Thanks for making the best of crappy situation these past few years.

Jimboy

Quote from: Joseph S18, which was unavailable without specifically aiming for it previously at Tosa/MKE border, is now 81-83% which correlates to about an error per 4-5 hours based on other channel history. Can't see 24 at all from this antenna position.

Would like to get UPN in HD to record Supernatural so I don't have to blow my remote HDPVR's chance to catch CSI in full res tonight. Is 24 up? I can move the antenna tonight to try, but can't leave it there as everything else is rock solid at the current sweet spot.

Don't forget to nominate yourself as Sinclair employee of the year. You should win hands down given the lack of national candidates. ;) Thanks for making the best of crappy situation these past few years.

Supernatural is on WB 18-1.
24-1 is currently off undergoing the upgrade. When it comes back up it will be at full power.
I always try to keep crap at a minimum. But thanks anyway.

BYW - I was getting 18-1 last night at a solid 97% in Oak Creek.

Joseph S

Oops. It's Veronica Mars that I blew a CBS recording on last week on UPN, but caught 4 HD episodes on the distant HDPVR!!! Also blew another for WB Supernatural because I couldn't get it reliably before. Thanks.

Mark Strube

Awesome... I'm now getting 18-1 in the mid-high 90's.

Joseph S

24 is now up on rescan without antenna change.
18-1 - 81-85% (in line with ABC)
24-1 - 88-90+% (in line with CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS)
 :rock:

Shop at home and 10 multicast blocked on purpose so can't compare. ;) No real changes with multipath on other channels.

Joseph S

18 has now gone off the air and 24 has dropped 10%.

Jimboy

Quote from: Joseph S18 has now gone off the air and 24 has dropped 10%.

Last items to get attention would be remote control.
Like I mentioned above everything should be in place Friday night. However, the learning curve starts all over again. We need to see how it all behaves once the transmitter manufacture tech leaves.  ;)

Joseph S

18 is back about 10-12% points down from yesterday. 24 is still there down 8% points from yesterday's peak value.

Joseph S

18 is now down another 10% to 60-64%, 24 about 4% less than peak yesterday.

Update: 3:12pm
24 is back where it was
18 is still about 10-12% points down.

Jimboy

Quote from: Joseph S18 is now down another 10% to 60-64%, 24 about 4% less than peak yesterday.

Update: 3:12pm
24 is back where it was
18 is still about 10-12% points down.

Everything is currently running at full power. (4:30pm)

BTW - Joseph S - The power output of the transmitters stay rock solid at 99 to 100%. If you are seeing drastic swings in signal level you may be suffering from multipath.

Joseph S

I saw drastic swings during the day including an outage. I can monitor the strength in a background window without viewing the stream.

At the end, UPN is back where it was yesterday. WB is consistently 8-10% lower than it was yesterday night without moving the antenna. WB is in the "I don't trust the recording" range for me right now. Not sure what has changed, but the end result is WB's signal was better before it was shut down. There have been no changes with reception of other stations' signal.