News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

File converter software recommendation

Started by Jimboy, Sunday Apr 16, 2006, 01:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimboy

Currently using Beyond TV 4 on a HTPC.  I would like to convert the tp files to other file types.  Anyone using something for this.....that they like?

waterhead

I just started trying to convert some of my files.

I have HD files recorded with my MythTV PVR. They are TS files (I think) wrapped in a Nuppelvideo container (.nuv). Much to my suprise Nero was able to make a DVD out of the Cream Reunion Concert that I recorded awhile back. The only problem was the audio level was very low. This I attribute to the fact that the original recording was in digital surround sound, and the DVD came out with stereo (analog?)

Nero has the option to export the video to a file. Here you can chose the aspect ratio, video compression and audio codec.

I just reinstalled BeyondTV4 after redoing my PVR. I don't have alot of shows recorded, yet. But I tried one to see if Nero would accept it. The resulting file had the incorrect aspect ratio (I chose 720x480), but you can input a different ratio. The real problem was that the audio slowly became out of sync. I chose AC3 for the audio, maybe a different choice will give you better results.

I don't belive Nero comes with all the audio/video codecs, you may have to install them seperately. Like Divx, Xvid or the AC3 codec.

I'm using Nero6 Ultra with the latest, and possibly last, updates. Nero7 is onsale at Best Buy for $39.99 after rebates.

There is another program called HDTV2MPEG2 (H2M), but I think that it is only for .ts files. You can get it here:

HDTV2MPEG2  

It wouldn't open my files. There is a large forum devoted to this application. I saw some suggestions on how to fix a file so that H2M would accept it. Not sure if .tp files are included.

AVS Forum on H2M

waterhead

Here's a link to a guide for converting HDTV to Divx:

HD to Divx

I don't know how current it is. They recommend Video ReDo, I  have that and it won't open my .tp files either.

I'm beginnig to think that it's my editing computer that's at fault. I try not to use the PVR, to keep it free for recording. I was unable to upgrade my editing computer to WinXP SP2, without the blue screen of death as the end result.

digdugm

I use a MyHD card which gives me tp files also. I use the fore mentioned HDTVtoMPEG2 to take out the commericals and chop into burnable junks. But I have converted to dvd playable format with HDTV2DVD its a free version of svcd2dvd, which does a good job with widescreen and 5.1.http://hdtv2dvd.com/

Jimboy

Quote from: digdugmI use a MyHD card which gives me tp files also. I use the fore mentioned HDTVtoMPEG2 to take out the commericals and chop into burnable junks. But I have converted to dvd playable format with HDTV2DVD its a free version of svcd2dvd, which does a good job with widescreen and 5.1.http://hdtv2dvd.com/

Thanks. I'll give HDTV2DVD a try when I get time.

waterhead

I loaded HDTV2MPEG2 on my WMCE2005 PC and it works ok on that one. I read somewhere that you need WinXP service pack 2 for some things involving HD video.

Joseph S

If you're editing I'd recommend VideoRedo especially for the audio graph.

Doug Mohr

Quote from: digdugmI use a MyHD card which gives me tp files also. I use the fore mentioned HDTVtoMPEG2 to take out the commericals and chop into burnable junks. But I have converted to dvd playable format with HDTV2DVD its a free version of svcd2dvd, which does a good job with widescreen and 5.1.http://hdtv2dvd.com/

HDTV2DVD works excellent.

Jimboy

Quote from: Doug MohrHDTV2DVD works excellent.

I tried HDTV2DVD and I agree it works well, but, my finished mpg file looks like it was recorded with a film camera at 24fps. It has a slight slow-mo stutter look to it even though it's running at normal speed. I used the default settings.  ???

Certainly does take a while to re-encode everything. I also noticed it made a folder ready for burning as well.

waterhead

Did you try HDTV2MPEG2? That may give you the type of file that your looking for. There are no dvd files created.

If you're trying to watch the file that has the .SD2.mpg tag, I read in their forum that this file is not for viewing (what is it for?). H2D looks to be primarily for DVD creation, H2M only makes a mpg file.

I tried H2M on my Cream Reunion Concert file, and it gave me an excellent file with 5.1 surround sound. My Nero DVD software won't make a surround sound DVD, so I'm trying H2D on the file.