News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Official Fox6 New Location Technical Report Thread

Started by Tom Snyder, Wednesday Jun 09, 2004, 12:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

I just realized that I'm pobably getting it in because 12.1 is off the air right now.  We'll see this afternoon.

Scott

kevbeck122

I'm getting about 60-70% now with 6.  I didn't get any signal before checking today.  I'm still getting it even now that 12 is back.

SRW1000

Well, 12 is back and 6 is gone.

Sigh, was looking forward to seeing 24 in HD on Monday night.

Scott

John L

Its very interesting to note that when WISN-DT is off the air, then everybody is able to receive WITI-DT!   I guess the only main problem of receiving WITI-DT when WISN-DT is also on is the lack of output power WITI-DT puts out.

Its gotten to the point now that I have to use my rotor to adjust my outdoor antenna when I switch between ch. 12 (34) and ch. 6 (33).  

Anyways if all the stations are required to increase their power in the coming months, hopefully everyone should be able to get all the channels including 6 and 12.

How about WMVT, how come that isn't troublesome?  Perhaps because WMVT has proper output power not to be interferred by WISN-DT.  WMVT is on ch. 35, right next door to WISN on ch. 34. WITI is on ch. 33 all on the regular UHF band.  

When I viewed a Digital TV with a Digital tuner for the first time last month, I was amazed how the tuner operates and how the TV maps out channels. Its obvious to me from the operation, that people are not able to tell exactly what frequencies or channel numbers that the TV stations transmit on comparitively from the traditional tuner.

Currently I view DTV OTA using my Hauappaughe Win-TV-D pc card.  But I was actually out shopping at Wal-mart, which is something that is RARE.  They have HDTV sets on sale for about $1,000.  A couple were under $1,000.  So hopefully in 2 to 3 years my analog TV will die so I can purchase a HDTV.  Course by that time HDTVs should be about $300.

-John L.

SRW1000

I happened to be home yesterday, while channel 12-1 was off the air again.  Bingo - 95 strength for 6-1.

It's really sad that I can get 6-1's super-weak signal just fine, but only if 12-1 isn't broadcasting.

Why did the FCC assign channel numbers so close together?  I know that it shouldn't matter with a digital signal, but if there's a huge power differential it's going to create a problem.

Scott

SRW1000

Well, I hope this isn't another false alarm, but for the past two nights channel 6 has been watchable for me, with a signal strength hovering between the mid-forties and fifties.

The last time I was able to actually watch the show, 12 was off the air.  Even if they're still broadcasting at a reduced signal, I'm surprised at just how watchable 6 is tonight.  

With time running out, could they be making some changes at this point?  If so, why not on Monday so I could watch the 24 finale?

Scott

bradsmainsite

Don't get to excited just your usual atmospheric conditions enhancing the UHF
band today it will change don't worry!

SRW1000

This makes the fifth day in a row that I've gotten a perfectly watchable signal from channel 6 (minus the very rare drop out).  Tonight, my strength is ranging between 36 and 85.  I've never gotten a reading that high before, at least not while channel 12 is broadcasting.  And I've never had a usable signal for this many days in a row.  

Maybe they really are doing something.  Has anyone else noticed the improvement?

Scott

bradsmainsite

No real changes noticed here.  Must be just the right conditions.  If I run
no amp just antenna straight I can receive fox6 by pointing my antenna
SE to attenuate ch12 then I will get it, but no more than 40-maybe 50%.

Brad

tazman

Quote from: Tom SnyderRemember... their competitors monitor this forum as well.

Ya their competitors are all going KA...CHING.   :rofl:

basshive

Still in fox-less hell here in Wauwatosa. Able to pull in NBC on 4.1 and CBS on 58.1 with ease, but Fox is absolutly elusive on my Samy Indoor Antenna.  ONE evening due to some freakish atmospheric conditions I pulled in Fox on 33 for 2 hours which was just enough to make me even madder that I cannot get it normally.

Directv was here Weds installing my new dish and I had requested they install their OTA antenna. The minute the installer got out he said the antenna was basically *worthless* and it would not help me get Fox at all.  Mounting it was not really even an option because of where my dish is and the eve my roof has. I appreciated him saving me the 50$.

I have tried relocating and pointing my indoor antenna in every possible way I can think of but no joy from Fox.

I will be honest, it may sound insane (and hopefully I am not the only one), but I have pretty much spent 5500$ for the pleasure of watching the Packers in HD glory and Fox is really not making me feel like this is going to happen.... Discovery HD is great, HBO HD is great, etc but I need my packers in HD.

If they could even give us a semblence of a timeline on when they might be at full power it would sure make my decision making alot easier.  :confused:
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Matt Heebner

I am in "Tosa as well. Have you tried pointing your antenna due east and tried to get FOX ? WISN (channel34 digital) is so powerful that they knock FOX's weak signal(channel 33 digital) right out. I point an antenna east, and pick up FOX at about 80%....I guess picking up the residual or muti-path signal from them.

Took me about 10 hours of playing with both antenna's in different locations to finally figure it out. I have one antenna pointed north and slightly east (antenna farm on Capitol) and one pointed due East.

Matt

basshive

Matt,

Cheers to you!  Last night I started antenna moving again. This time I put it on one of coffee tables next to the couch pointing due east. Ran a scan on the hd box and waited. Keyed in 6.1 and blamo! It was up, stayed up for the entire night that I watched/checked it. I can only get 54% or so but its solid enough. I can probably get a little more with some movement but I only have so much space in the living room.  I did loose CBS 58 but it comes back with very minor adjustments. I am quite pleased that if all else fails me it IS indeed possible to get Fox. Appreciate the quick suggestion. For reference I am at 121st and Bluemound(18).
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

mhz40

My well placed un-named source says expect no big changes until at least mid-August.
My gut says everything will completed well before the first regular season Packer game on September 11th.
Either way, the wait is nearly over for you OTA clients of WITI.

MHz40

vetrev

If you call up DirecTV, they will give you free FOX HDTV on channel 88 from a New York Station. Make sure you sign up. It works great. Many Packer games are distributed nationally and will be on that station too. :rofl: