News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator/Box Updates

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Aug 03, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PONIES

Well, I'd like to comment on this update, but it would seem that it has broken my HDMI output. Multiple reboots and still no video output.

Way to go, Time Warner!

Jack 1000

Successfully updated to Navigator ODN 5.1.6

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;58436Well, I'd like to comment on this update, but it would seem that it has broken my HDMI output. Multiple reboots and still no video output.

Way to go, Time Warner!

Ponies,

Try turning off the Cable Box and TV,  unplug the cable box, and disconnect your HDMI cable.  Wait for one minute.  Now plug the HDMI cable back in, and plug the cable box back in,  turn the cable box back on, allow cable box to reboot.  (In that order.)  When cable box has rebooted, turn the TV back on.  Is it working now?  On what box is this happening?

If the above does not work, check to see that your HDMI settings are correct on the box.

Jack

grenier

I got the update. Not noticing anything new.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;58436Well, I'd like to comment on this update, but it would seem that it has broken my HDMI output. Multiple reboots and still no video output.

Way to go, Time Warner!

I think that TWC is doing the Navigator lab testing on modern HDTV's before releasing the updates. They may not have the smaller little portable HD sets on which to do the testing-so the update goes into the field. with HDMI problems on some sets that are smaller priced models and portables.

Maybe they need to invest in some less expensive sets to test the HDMI quality footprint across different TV models. IMO.

Jack

PONIES

I managed to fix it after some more HDMI cable plugging and unplugging and power cycling.

These boxes have always had HDCP handshaking issues. Glad to see they still haven't been resolved.

sschmalz

Is anyone else having trouble with scheduled recordings on their TWC DVRs lately?  My problems started back in March.  For some reason, my normally scheduled recordings of Dancing with the Stars and Castle on WISN were not being stored on the machine for some reason.  The red record inidator on the box lights up during the program, but once it's done, the recording is not in the listing.  The recording log shows the error "The set-top could not record this program" and no other reason or explanation.

A call to TWC resulted in a service call in which the tech ended up changing out all the equipment in my house (DVR, cable modem, and pre-amp).  He couldn't explain the recording troubles but suspected that it was a software glitch in the box.  He couldn't replace the SA-8300HDC that I had since the only unit he had left on the truck was a new 8400 series whole house DVR.  The tech warned that I should wait until the April 10th software push to resolve a couple of bugs in Navagator.  After discovering that that Cisco went cheap and designed the new units so that they could not output Dolby Digital 5.1 on the S/PDIF output and via HDMI simultaneously, I exhanged it for another 8300 at the local TVC store.  Now I'm discovering, that I am experiencing the same problems with scheduled recordings again!  I'm not certain, but it seems it always occurs when I set up recording programs back-to-back (i.e. one program immediately after another on the same channel).  Did TWC push a Navigator update in March that hosed things up?  For these recordings, I always make sure that the record options are set to begin and end at the scheduled times, not a minute before or after, so overlap can't be the problem.  I'm wondering if the new software has a DHCP bug or something.  I'd be interested in hearing from other folks if they are experiencing the same issues.

By the way...  How can I tell what version of software I'm running on the SA-8300HDC?

Jack 1000

Quote from: sschmalz;58469Is anyone else having trouble with scheduled recordings on their TWC DVRs lately?  My problems started back in March.  For some reason, my normally scheduled recordings of Dancing with the Stars and Castle on WISN were not being stored on the machine for some reason.  The red record inidator on the box lights up during the program, but once it's done, the recording is not in the listing.  The recording log shows the error "The set-top could not record this program" and no other reason or explanation.

A call to TWC resulted in a service call in which the tech ended up changing out all the equipment in my house (DVR, cable modem, and pre-amp).  He couldn't explain the recording troubles but suspected that it was a software glitch in the box.  He couldn't replace the SA-8300HDC that I had since the only unit he had left on the truck was a new 8400 series whole house DVR.  The tech warned that I should wait until the April 10th software push to resolve a couple of bugs in Navagator.  After discovering that that Cisco went cheap and designed the new units so that they could not output Dolby Digital 5.1 on the S/PDIF output and via HDMI simultaneously, I exhanged it for another 8300 at the local TVC store.  Now I'm discovering, that I am experiencing the same problems with scheduled recordings again!  I'm not certain, but it seems it always occurs when I set up recording programs back-to-back (i.e. one program immediately after another on the same channel).  Did TWC push a Navigator update in March that hosed things up?  For these recordings, I always make sure that the record options are set to begin and end at the scheduled times, not a minute before or after, so overlap can't be the problem.  I'm wondering if the new software has a DHCP bug or something.  I'd be interested in hearing from other folks if they are experiencing the same issues.

By the way...  How can I tell what version of software I'm running on the SA-8300HDC?

Greetings,

A software upgrade was pushed out to the ODN boxes on April 10th.  ODN boxes are the newer models either with a C in the model number or the Samsung.  The update fixed some inner bugs, changed some menu fonts, and a couple things for Caller ID on TV.  No new features.  The next release, possibly later this summer-fall will have some new features.

Never heard of the Cisco 8400HDC for Signature Home, there are three Signature Home/Multi Capable DVR's:

The Cisco 8742 (very new and rare)
The Cisco 8642
The Samsung 3072

Your problem is a flaw in Navigator's design where I have seen this happen with problems recording shows back to back.  The issue is that Navigator things the very start of the second show, conflicts with the show already in progress.

Therefore, if you have a show on 1005(CBS) from 7-8 set to record, and another show set from 8-9 on the same channel, the DVR will still be recording the first show at 8:00, when it should be starting the second show at 8:00.

*The work-around, (and this is so stupid that TWC can't fix this) is to "pad," meaning add extra time to the first show so that you have a stream of uninterrupted shows:  Here's how to do that:

You want to watch two separate hour shows back to back on CBS, each an hour long, for  a 7-9 time slot for TV watching:  To avoid a conflict: (using the example above:)

1.) Find Your Show Using the Time Grid or B Search Options
2.) Using the above example, Select "Record Show With Options"
3.) Select a Start Time AT LEAST 1 minute before the show begins.
4.) Select an End Time For Two Hours later.
5.) Save your changes.

Now, the time grid will still show only the first show highlighted.  But if you exit out of that, go to the DVR Show List. (Press List.) The first show will be listed, BUT it will show a two hour time slot.  Navigator thinks it's the same show, but you have really just added time to the first show with no reason for Navigator to stop the recording when the first show ends.

As for checking your software version it is ODN 5.1.06.  The latest release.  To find  your version:

1.) Press Quick Settings
2.) Go to Favorite Channels
3.) Inside the Favorite channels menu enter a high channel number, like 1990.
4.) Look in that high channel range for a channel that says Diags.  Make a note of the number. (Use Page +/- to Navigate.)
5.) Exit out of that screen, enter the Diags Channel number
6.) Wait about 30 seconds for the channel to load.
7.) An approximate 15-20 pages of technical information opens up.  Use the Page +/- button to find Software Version.  Each page will refresh with new data, so you will have to be patient.
8.) Page 6. (I think) will have your software version.
9.) Change channels to exit.  It is also recommended to select a second viewable channel, so that if a new person in the house presses "LAST" they don't go back to the Diags station and think their box is broken.

Jack

sschmalz

Quote from: Jack 1000;58470Greetings,

A software upgrade was pushed out to the ODN boxes on April 10th.  ODN boxes are the newer models either with a C in the model number or the Samsung.  The update fixed some inner bugs, changed some menu fonts, and a couple things for Caller ID on TV.  No new features.  The next release, possibly later this summer-fall will have some new features.

Never heard of the Cisco 8400HDC for Signature Home, there are three Signature Home/Multi Capable DVR's:

The Cisco 8742 (very new and rare)
The Cisco 8642
The Samsung 3072

Your problem is a flaw in Navigator's design where I have seen this happen with problems recording shows back to back.  The issue is that Navigator things the very start of the second show, conflicts with the show already in progress.

Therefore, if you have a show on 1005(CBS) from 7-8 set to record, and another show set from 8-9 on the same channel, the DVR will still be recording the first show at 8:00, when it should be starting the second show at 8:00.

*The work-around, (and this is so stupid that TWC can't fix this) is to "pad, meaning add extra time to the first show so that you have a stream of uninterrupted conflicts:  Here's how to do that:

You want to watch to separate hour shows back to back on CBS, each an hour long, for  a 7-9 time slot for TV watching:  To avoid a conflict: (using the example above:

1.) Find Your Show Using the Time Grid or B Search Options
2.) Using the above example, Select "Record Show With Options"
3.) Select a Start Time AT LEAST 1 minute before the show begins.
4.) Select an End Time For Two Hours later.
5.) Save your changes.

Now, the time grid will still show only the first show highlighted.  But if you exit out of that, go to the DVR Show List. (Press List.) The first show will be listed, BUT it will show a two hour time slot.  Navigator thinks it's the same show, but you have really just added time to the first show with no reason for Navigator to stop the recording when the first show ends.

As for checking your software version it is ODN 5.1.06.  The latest release.  To find  your version:

1.) Press Quick Settings
2.) Go to Favorite Channels
3.) Inside the Favorite channels menu enter a high channel number, like 1990.
4.) Look in that high channel range for a channel that says Diags.  Make a note of the number.
5.) Exit out of that screen, enter the Diags Channel number
6.) Wait about 30 seconds for the channel to load.
7.) An approximate 15-20 pages of technical information opens up.  Use the Page +/- button to find Software Version.  Each page will refresh with new data, so you will have to be patient.
8.) Page 6. (I think) will have your software version.
9.) Change channels to exit.  It is also recommended to select a second viewable channel, so that if a new person in the house presses "LAST" they don't go back to the Diags station and think their box is broken.

Jack

Jack,

Thanks for the low-down.  Odd that it worked OK up until last month.  Regardless, I will try your work-around.

Sorry, I mistyped...  I meant Cisco 8600 series.  I believe it was an 8642.  I was not impressed with this model.

Thanks again!

Rick_EE

Thanks,

We are having the same problem.  Nice to know we are not crazy.

Jack 1000

Well,

This is news. Apparently I have JUMPED BACK from 5.1.06 to 5.1.04! Have never seen this before. Maybe they saw a serious bug in 5.1.06. (It might have been the issue on some of the boxes with the date not changing when day+/- is selected.) This bug did not affect me on the SA-8300HDC.

Wisconsin normally does not get incrimental updates, ODN 5.1.07 by all accounts is the newest version. It sounds like ODN 5.1.06 broke something.

Jack

grenier

Box rebooted this morning, doesn't appear to be any changes.
Cisco 8640HDC

LoadStar

Quote from: grenier;58529Box rebooted this morning, doesn't appear to be any changes.

Looks like my tuning adapter rebooted as well, so I'm going to guess it was a backend change to the OCAP infrastructure.

Jack 1000

I heard that Navigator is being COMPLETLY redesigned as a new team has been brought in to fix bugs and make the system easier to use in terms of reliability, searching, and finding program information.   The new interface is doing very, very well in testing and has a slick new black design similar to the i-Pad.  If you are not familiar with i-Pad, think of Direct TV's new Black Guide.  The new software version will be ODN 5.2 (or higher.)  The new system will enable cloud based searches (even on the legacy boxes!)

At some point, the newer boxes, (Ciscos and Samsungs) the new guide will be expanded to a true 16x9 HD format.  The older C-boxes, SA's and MDN units can't do an HD guide, so for us, the new guide will be in SD.  

I have connections and have seen screen shots of the new guide.  ODN boxes will get it first. (C-Models and Samsungs)  MDN boxes, non-C, and not Samsungs will get it later.  Some main test sites, New York, and North Carolina will get it first.  We could see it sometime in the fall if testing goes well.

Jack

tvboy

The Milwaukee ZND Committee approved unanimously to CW 18 and MY 24 plans to move to a 3 1/2 acre site at Park Place and Calumet Road behind the Hilton Gadren Inn Hotel on the far northwest side.  They are putting up a 150 foot relay tower to connect to the tower on Humboldt and the usual satellite dishes on the site.  Will most likely pass Common Council approval later this month.