News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

CBS58 going HD

Started by duncantuna, Monday Jul 18, 2011, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncantuna

As reported a while back about CBS58 building a new set ..

Dudek wrote today:

WDJT-TV (Channel 58) is getting a new news set and is going HD, if the Facebook page of new morning anchor Tom Durian is to be believed. On June 17, he wrote that "we have a complete new HD studio being built . . . next door we should be on next month." And on July 5, he wrote that "complete HD transition is scheduled for September."

klwillis45

That's nice but when is WMLW going HD so they can stop ruining Brewers games.

trev57

Quote from: duncantuna;57599As reported a while back about CBS58 building a new set ..

Dudek wrote today:

WDJT-TV (Channel 58) is getting a new news set and is going HD, if the Facebook page of new morning anchor Tom Durian is to be believed. On June 17, he wrote that "we have a complete new HD studio being built . . . next door we should be on next month." And on July 5, he wrote that "complete HD transition is scheduled for September."

We'll have to see how well that timeline works out. The new set was originally supposed to debut on the 4th, then last Tuesday, and then yesterday, and it still hasn't happened. They're not exactly very good at planning things out over there.

PONIES

Quote from: klwillis45;57600That's nice but when is WMLW going HD so they can stop ruining Brewers games.

Never, as long as it's a subchannel. CBS58's signal is molested enough @ 9 Mbps. Can you imagine them trying to upgrade WMLW too? What a disaster that would be.

WPXE ION

Quote from: klwillis45;57600That's nice but when is WMLW going HD so they can stop ruining Brewers games.

I dont have cable or satellite, strictly OTA. So I look at it from the vantage point that at least we get some games on an OTA station for free. :D

Every sunday home game is broadcast on Telemundo. I dont understand the Spanish, but I usually just turn on the radio and listen to the audio from there and watch the video on Telemundo. You have to get used to the delay on the radio though.

Will

Quote from: PONIES;57602Never, as long as it's a subchannel. CBS58's signal is molested enough @ 9 Mbps. Can you imagine them trying to upgrade WMLW too? What a disaster that would be.

Remember they also broadcast on 41-1.  It would be nice if they were able to upgrade that to HD, but I'm not holding my breath!  I can't imagine there are many low-power stations actually broadcasting in HD.

trev57

Look for the new set soon...possibly as early as tonight. They just updated their website today to the new look and there is a blog up by anchor Tom Durian titled "Change is a comin'".

http://www.cbs58.com/blogs/Change-is-a-comin-125749573.html

WPXE ION

Quote from: Will;57611Remember they also broadcast on 41-1.  It would be nice if they were able to upgrade that to HD, but I'm not holding my breath!  I can't imagine there are many low-power stations actually broadcasting in HD.

Exactly. 41-1 is very low power, most of the signal falls out of the antenna right on top of the transmitter building. I have a large Yagi antenna on top of the building here in Glendane and still do not see 41 or 63 digital.

I can imagine that in the future they will up the power and it would be nice to see HD, especially for the games. For now I'll settle for 41 on one of the sub channels. The wife and friends enjoy it.

trev57

For those interested, Telemundo Wisconsin's 10pm news will be on the new set tonight. CBS 58 is set to debut on it on Monday.

mrschimpf

Quote from: WPXE ION;57620Exactly. 41-1 is very low power, most of the signal falls out of the antenna right on top of the transmitter building. I have a large Yagi antenna on top of the building here in Glendane and still do not see 41 or 63 digital.

I can imagine that in the future they will up the power and it would be nice to see HD, especially for the games. For now I'll settle for 41 on one of the sub channels. The wife and friends enjoy it.

The problem is also that it shares signal from WZZM in Grand Rapids and has to take that interference, so that blowtorch sucks up every bit of signal they push out beyond Mequon. Also, they're on VHF 13, which is a big problem in itself. I rarely get WYTU, if at all, although since they're on cable that's not an issue for me.

Their ABC affiliate in South Bend is low power but is effectively a low power station  with near full-power and HD news.

WITI6fan

They could (should) move WMLW to WBME's signal and make it a HD channel there. I think "I Love Lucy" can deal with the slightly lower bandwidth...

mrschimpf

Recorded Telemundo tonight and got in a few screencaps...if this is a sub-set or the actual set, it's definitely an upgrade from 1996 for sure. They did a great job with what they have, and this newscasts looks much better out of their longtime dependence on the green screen.

trev57

I am very impressed with the new set. I think it's far better than the refresh they did at WISN, and I can't wait to see what WDJT does with it...when I can actually understand what they're saying..:D

Here are a few more pics with the weather center and two stand up areas.

trev57

Quote from: mrschimpf;57626Recorded Telemundo tonight and got in a few screencaps...if this is a sub-set or the actual set, it's definitely an upgrade from 1996 for sure. They did a great job with what they have, and this newscasts looks much better out of their longtime dependence on the green screen.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sub-set"?

mrschimpf

Quote from: trev57;57629I'm not sure what you mean by "sub-set"?

I was saying even if it was just a sub-set of the current set it already outranks it by miles.