News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC - DVR Compensation Gone

Started by grenier, Thursday Jul 11, 2013, 09:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenier

I knew something was up when my box was rebooted last night, the DVR compensation is gone. Anyone have any idea who to complain to about this stupid idea?

I'm not even going to attempt to talk to a telephone CSR.
Cisco 8640HDC

duncantuna

Wow.  Incredibly stupid to remove a function people use 100 times a day.

markd

I don't think complaining will do you much good.  This is likely a result of TiVos lawsuit:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402157,00.asp?

grenier

Not sure if it matters, but that article is from March 27, 2012.

The thing that's irritating is that Time Warner didn't let us know that it was being removed, an official explanation would be nice.
Cisco 8640HDC

LoadStar

grenier

Quote from: LoadStar;59445DVR Compensation?

When you're fast forwarding, you hit play and it jumps back a little so you don't miss anything. Now it just starts right when you hit play and, unless you timed it perfect, you usually have to rewind.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Yes,

Sad to say, it is the result of a Tivo lawsuit.  Tivo was the first to invent the Time Back technology and sued TWC and Motorolla over this feature.  They settled out of court.  These are the articles:

The Background: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402157,00.asp

Most recent (The Settlement) http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/06/tivo-motorola-google-settle-dvr-patent-lawsuit/

Satch
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

grenier

That's just stupid. Why is Time Warner being so quiet about the matter?
Cisco 8640HDC

PONIES

And that, kids, is why we use CableCARD tuners instead of the cable companies' ****** boxes.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;59451And that, kids, is why we use CableCARD tuners instead of the cable companies' ****** boxes.

The problem is that we rely on VOD and Caller ID on TV quite often, and can't get that with a Cable Card.  I have heard mixed reviews with cable cards when the channel line ups change.  Ponies, how has your Cable Card worked for you?  I forgot are you using Windows Media Center with Windows 7?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

PONIES

When channel lineups change, the Media Center guide should update to reflect the new channels within a couple of days.

If you are that desperate that you have to have access to the new channel the day it is added, there is a way to hack the new channel into the guide and do manual recordings until the guide is updated properly.

VOD and Caller ID, well... can't say I found those too useful. Time Warner's VOD selection is limited and making use of smart scheduling makes it unnecessary anyway.

Caller ID? People still have landlines? :huh?:

gparris

Quote from: PONIES;59456When channel lineups change, the Media Center guide should update to reflect the new channels within a couple of days.

If you are that desperate that you have to have access to the new channel the day it is added, there is a way to hack the new channel into the guide and do manual recordings until the guide is updated properly.

VOD and Caller ID, well... can't say I found those too useful. Time Warner's VOD selection is limited and making use of smart scheduling makes it unnecessary anyway.

Caller ID? People still have landlines? :huh?:

Yes, PONIES, some of us have landlines using Digital Phone because mobile (cell) phones don't always cut it. When one of us is working at home and doing a conference call or need to use the speakerphone feature, that land line type phone on a desk works much better than a mobile phone and does not need recharging or suffer any loss of signal during the call as mobile phones can. Caller ID on the TV screen allows you to keep watching your program in progress and ignore the callers with your landline phone (I still get many calls from people trying to sell things (charities) despite I signed up for that no-call list).

VOD at Time Warner Cable allows you to go back to shows you missed a few days ago or get shows you didn't or forgot to record and see them at no extra charge, a useful feature for some of us.

grenier

Quote from: PONIES;59456People still have landlines? :huh?:

Yes we do.
Cisco 8640HDC

PONIES

Quote from: gparris;59458Yes, PONIES, some of us have landlines using Digital Phone because mobile (cell) phones don't always cut it. When one of us is working at home and doing a conference call or need to use the speakerphone feature, that land line type phone on a desk works much better than a mobile phone and does not need recharging or suffer any loss of signal during the call as mobile phones can.

...I still have to ask why. You have an Internet connection, don't you? Why pay Time Warner for phone service when you're already paying them for an Internet connection? Google Voice is free and you also have Skype.

markd

Quote from: PONIES;59465... Google Voice is free and you also have Skype.

Google Voice is basically call forwarding.  You still need a number to send the call to. I have no cell coverage in my house.