News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Fortec Lifetime Ultra Free to Air Complete System

Started by Neilium, Friday Apr 22, 2005, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neilium

Hey everyone, is this a good deal? would it be worth getting? $229.99

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES10649

Condition: New

Warranty: 6 Months

Production Description: Watch 100's of International channels from around the world for FREE! Plus 100's of video music channels. All in digital quality a with no subscriptions or monthly fees! Watch shows in your native language without the cost of expensive cable! Easy to understand step-by-step install guide.

Features:

- EPG (Electronic Program Guide) - 7 days of program information
- 3,000 Channel Memory (TV & Radio)
- Fully compliant with MPEG-2 Digital & DVB broadcasting
- 950~2150 MHz input Frequency (with IF loop throughput)
- Variable input Symbol Rate (1.5~45 Msps)
- S/PDIF Digital Audio Output (AC3)
- Multi-language OSD (On-screen Display)
- Automatic PAL/NTSC Conversion
- Fast Channel Change
- Flexible reception of SCPC & MCPA from C/Ku band Satellites
- Timer Function (Automatic On/Off Setting Function)
- 256-Colors (Graphic Use Interface)
- P-I-G (Picture-in-Graphic) On-screen Display
- 5 Favorite Lists
- Powerful Channel Editing Function
- Sorting: Alphabetic, Satellite, FTA/Scramble, Parental Lock, TP Order
- Move, Delete, Edit Favorites
- Parental Lock, Channel Rename, Channel Skip. (Default PW 0000)
- Manual PID/Satellite & TP/Network Scan
- Simultaneous Scan of 4 Satellites
- USALS Compatible
- Capable Of Setting the Frequency for SMATV Systems
- Upgrade through RS-232C (STB to STB, PC to STB)

Includes:

- Fortec Lifetime Ultra Receiver & Remote "White Box" with pre 12/04 motherboard. Flawless data transfers!
- Winegard DS-2076 76cm / 31" Dish
- .4 / 55 Standard Single LNBF
- Installation Kit

Todd Wiedemann

Not bad, but I'd (and I have) add a motor.

That's a fixed system, as it stands.

Get a USALS compatible motor and you'll be *more* happy.

Check out //www.sadoun.com goto the systems section and scroll to the motorized section.

Neilium

Thanks, is it something that can just be added to this system and controlled by the receiver? also how easy is this to install? i have yet to do any dish installation or aiming. i have taken plenty down. but never put any up. i am also assuming you cannot get any hdtv channels with it.  thanks much for the quick reply.

Neilium

Todd Wiedemann

Quote from: NeiliumThanks, is it something that can just be added to this system and controlled by the receiver?

Yes. That's how it works. Basically, RG-6 from the receiver to the motor, then from the motor to the LNB

Quote from: Neiliumalso how easy is this to install?

Well, depends on how handy you are. You need to mount it such that it can see as much of the southerly sky as possible, unobstructed. It's quite sensitive to aiming, so patience is a virtue for certain.

Quote from: Neiliumi have yet to do any dish installation or aiming. i have taken plenty down. but never put any up.

Mmm. This is definitely more difficult than a Dish or DirecTV install.

Quote from: Neiliumi am also assuming you cannot get any hdtv channels with it.

Correct. There are recievers that will, but content is limited at best and not in that price range.

Quote from: Neiliumthanks much for the quick reply.

You're welcome.

tazman

Quote from: Todd WiedemannYes. That's how it works. Basically, RG-6 from the receiver to the motor, then from the motor to the LNB

Well, depends on how handy you are. You need to mount it such that it can see as much of the southerly sky as possible, unobstructed. It's quite sensitive to aiming, so patience is a virtue for certain.

Mmm. This is definitely more difficult than a Dish or DirecTV install.

Correct. There are recievers that will, but content is limited at best and not in that price range.

You're welcome.

Just a little more info.  

The one receiver that did FTA HDTV as well as OTA and Cable is no longer in production.  If one could be found yet, they are going for triple the previous regular retail price, putting them close to 2 G.  There is one yet being produced and I believe it is QualiTV and only does HDTV and not very good on SD, or not at all.  So I guess a FTA HD receiver for the Ku-band is pretty much out unless you go to a C-band BUD setup.  I bought an Integra it912s which is what I was refering to, last year when they were still readily available at $625.  

The 31" dish is on the small side, but it will work.  Normaly a 90cm or a 100cm is the minimum for this area.  The only FTA HD channel available on the Ku-band is the PBS HD channel on AMC-3.

If your looking at this type of TV watching as a hobby then you won't be disapointed because you will find some very interesting stuff.  If your hopeing that this will be something where you will find alot of main stream programming then do not consider it.

A motorized setup as Todd mentioned is a worthwhile way to go.   However you must be maticulous about your workmanship when setting one up so that it tracks properly.

I hope some of this helps. :)

MrSuzuki

Neilium,

As I just joined this forum today, I may be too late to offer my opinion, if you have already made a decision...but if not, my experience is directly in line with the others.  FTA is a hobby...at any time a channel can go scrambled, and at any time additional channels can be added (to any particular satellite).  This is absolutely nothing to fear...you simply get in the habit of doing a scan once or twice a month, for new channels.

As for international channels??? depends on what language you are looking for.  Intelstat 5 (Telstar 5) probably has the broadest selection of languages, but defineatly is not the only bird to choose from, when looking for a specific language.  

Todd mentioned a motor for your dish...IMHO, this is very difficult to set up, and track satellites correctly...especially with Ku band...this is why I opted for multiple dishes.

Would I recommend FTA?  Absolutley.  It is interesting, even when you have no idea what they are saying on the tv.  But Tazman hit the nail on the head...don't look for any of your premium channels...all scrambled.  But if you want to see a broadcast from Korea, China, Tiawan, Iraq, Romania, Germany, Sudan... the list goes on...its all free, and the system you asked about, would take you there.

Good Luck!

tazman

Hello MrSuzuki,

Just a little more info on my setup.  My dish is actualy a 90cm and not a 100cm, I should update my signature.  I am considering going to a 100 or a 120, which would be putting my SG2100 motor at it's limits as to what it can handle.  

When I stated being maticulous about your workmanship, I can't stess that enough.  Because it pays off when setting up a motorized dish.  

I sunk in a 2.5" water pipe 4 feet down into concrete, tied it off with ropes while the concrete set to make sure the poll stayed perfectly plumb.  That was the first step and probably the most important.  Second I bought myself a good see through compass with fine and accurate markings.  I then drew up a 360 degree compass dial with 1/2 degree markings and I also found out what the magnetic deviation was for my latitude and longitude and drew in that line as well. I also drew a square around it to be used as a guide for cutting it out after plotting it.  I then plotted it out as large as possible on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.  I cut it out and attached it to a thin piece of plexiglass of similar size for support.  

Having the motor attached snuggly to the poll.  I clamped a 4 foot aluminum level to the side of the declination bracket of the motor and level to the horizon.  I then placed my home made compass dial on the level.  Made sure that it was square or parallel with the level and secured it.  I then placed the compass I bought on top of it and lined up it's hair lines with the magnetic deviation line that I plottted on the paper.  I then adjusted the motor right or left untill I was satisfied I had true South.  After tightening the mounting clamps of the motor, I roughly set the declination of the motor for my latitude.  I then mounted the dish.  Using a protractor level, I set the declination of the motor as best as I could with the weight of the dish attached using the protractor level.  Should also note, I made sure that the motor was zeroed out before adjusting the dish itself.  I eyeballed the F-arm of the dish so it was parallel with the 4 foot level.  This made sure I had everything running true South.  Then using my TwinHan card I drove the motor/dish assembly to a Sat closest to true South for my Longitude.  Using a signal meter I peaked the dish for the best signal, making adjustments only to the dish and not to the motor.  I secured everything and then drove the dish to the farthest East Sat I could see and checked the peaking of the signal there and did the same thing with the farthest West Sat I could see.  Because I was very maticulous.  I was right on the mark and had to do no fine tunning adjustments to the motor settings.  If your an astronomy buff you will know what kind of adjustments I am talking about.  Those that are necessary when setting right assention and declination of a telescope.  It's very much the same kinds of adjustments to ensure proper tracking of a dish.

So with all that being said, get motorized it's worth it.

I may have went over board with all my prep work.  But one time is all it took.  It's a good thing too, because I don't have much hair left to pull out.

On another note.  One of these days I want to get a blind search receiver.  It's on my wish list.

MrSuzuki

Tazman,
Great setup...reminds me of all the little tricks I have used for setting up BUD's.  Blind Search?...Pansat just came out with the 2700...so a 2500 could be bought at a real good price right now.