News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Copy from DVR to PC

Started by SugarRay, Tuesday Mar 08, 2011, 08:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarRay

IS there an easy way to copy a recorded show from my TWC DVR to my PC so I could watch it later when I am on the road?  IE - can I connect the DVR to my PC via USB and transfer the file from the DVR to my PC?  I understand I might have to format the file to a Windows Media Player or QuickTime format but just wondering.

Thanks

Xizer

The content is encrypted so you need a certain DVR model with a Firewire port and a device to decrypt the content.

LoadStar

Or you could get a Tivo, which has built-in TiVo To Go.

Of course, the morons at TWC flag everything transmitted in digital as "copy never" which defeats that feature. You MIGHT be able to transfer broadcast network programming, but that's about it, and even that might not work thanks to TWC.

WITI6fan

Quote from: LoadStar;57110Or you could get a Tivo, which has built-in TiVo To Go.

Of course, the morons at TWC flag everything transmitted in digital as "copy never" which defeats that feature. You MIGHT be able to transfer broadcast network programming, but that's about it, and even that might not work thanks to TWC.

I've only gotten Firewire recording to work for some of the local channels.

People with other cable systems in other parts of the country say they don't have this problem. I've even heard of some of the premium channels not being flagged.

:bang:

Greg Oman

I've spent a fair amount of time on the same subject, basically you need a capture card, capture software, and lastly, I like an editing program.

Let's start with easy-- most everyone's DVR's still include a RF connector to maintain compatibility with so many non high def TV's that are still out there. You use a coax cable and connect this to the same RF in to a capture card, which often have the old NTSC and the new ATSC tuners. I have an old ATI HDTV wonder installed in a pc and have successfully transferred shows off my DVR to my PC. I can vouch for Time Warner's SA 8300 box, as well as my current Uverse DVR (Moto VIP1225). Just looking at Tiger Direct, they have a few other options that appear to be similar. Pinnacle and Hauppauge are probably name brands worth the price, and may include a more robust capture software. I see composite video (yellow) with L-R audio capture via USB 2.0 as well, that's probably about as good. As long as the included software can create mpeg files, that's probably OK. Drawbacks of this approach, it's limited to standard definition, not high def. The other one, is you basically play the show and capture it 1-1 (realtime). So an hour show takes an hour to capture :(  But, it works pretty good.

Tougher to do is HD for a few reasons-- the capture interface, filesize of a capture, and probably copy protection mechanisms via the digital (HDMI, DVI) interfaces. A few years back I tried the Hauppauge HD-DVR, got it right after it came out, and this was supposed to capture 1080i via component (analog). At the time, I couldn't get the device to run at all-- built a brand new pc with enough performance. Shipped it back, maybe it's better now. Still, this costs about $200.

I have another thread here //www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9240 that talks about a few options to do this, but I've not tried it myself yet. I'd suspect that the HDMI interface may be susceptible to the copy protection issues, but the BlackMagic device also has component in the external version-- but you'll need a USB 3.0 interface, or buy the internal card with breakout cable, but then you need a suitable PCI Express slot available for a desktop.

Once you have the files captured, I like to use a program like VideoRedo which is a frame by frame editor, very reasonably priced (about $50) and they now have more features and flexibility in their TV Suite product. All I use this for-- editing out the commercials! It does this much faster than real time. Although I have not tried it with HD, I believe it will work once you have a mpeg file. Compare their 3 products on their website (//www.videoredo.com).

So, the long answer is it can be done, easy with the SD format, tougher and more expensive for HD. May want to search on //www.avsforum.com -- a broader forum that may have people that have used these products.

Hope this helps.

Greg O.