News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Dish or Direct?

Started by zoothorn, Saturday Jan 30, 2010, 10:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: budda;54737http://www.direct-vs-dish.com/  Make up your own mind. But keep looking for info. Also when you see a per complain. I have found with most reviews of anything. the failure of a product or service can the it's fault. But seems to be a costomers misunderstanding of what they bought or lack the of. Peace

That comparison is helpful, but not as much as a 1:1 table would be.  

They do not list Dish Welcome Pack.  That package included Comedy Central, History, TLC, AMC, and a bunch of other dreck.  Last I heard it was $10 a month, but you would also have to buy the locals for $5 more, so $15 a month for about 20 channels plus locals.

I called Dish directly to check on this but they said I could not get it without the locals.  No deal yet, but still, not a bad price.

ddeerrff

Quote from: budda;54736Duplications of programs are SD then HD, same channel. You would modify your guide to rid of junk.
No, the SD and HD versions were listed next to each other, but there were many program sources that had two (or more) SD versions listed and two or more) HD versions listed.  

There were programs listed in the 0 - 400 area, and then there were some listed in the 9xxx area.  Many of the 9xxx listings were duplicates of the lower listings.  

I'm sure the guide could have been modified to not list the duplicates, but the bottom line is the duplicates seem to have been included in the 'channel count', as there were no where near 200 unique program sources.

Steve Mann

I've had both over the years. Been with D* now 10 years or more. Based on my current experience with D* and my past experience with Dish, I would never even consider switching back. DirecTV is hands down the better company. I always felt Dish was the 'Radio Shack' of satellite TV.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

brewtownska

Quote from: ddeerrff;54741No, the SD and HD versions were listed next to each other, but there were many program sources that had two (or more) SD versions listed and two or more) HD versions listed.  

There were programs listed in the 0 - 400 area, and then there were some listed in the 9xxx area.  Many of the 9xxx listings were duplicates of the lower listings.  

I'm sure the guide could have been modified to not list the duplicates, but the bottom line is the duplicates seem to have been included in the 'channel count', as there were no where near 200 unique program sources.

I asked about this when I joined Dish over a year ago.  It was explained to me that many channels exist on different satellites, so depending on how many of the different satellites your dish syncs to, you may see multiples of the same channels in different channel groups.

I agree with you that Dish should not be allowed to count those duplicates as unique channels, but I have never looked closely to figure out how they count channels.  Another way they can inflate them is if they offer 10 PPV channels.  You may never pay to watch any of them, but they probably count all 10 as "available".  Same with sports channels...there are so many ALT channels in the sports tiers, but typically we can only see programs on a handful of them because they are all setup to be regional...but I'm sure Dish counts all of them in their totals :)
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Nels Harvey

I don't understand the flap regarding how many HD channels are available.  The only thing that really matters is if the programs I want to watch are available in HD.

As far as the guide is concerned, I simply edited the listing to show just the channels that I want to watch.  I did that for my wife as well, and she simply changes to her listing to find her programs.  The complete channel listings are still available at the touch of a button, but we don't need to suffer through all of the unwanted listings to find what we want to watch.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Blitzburgh

troyriley

I have had both. I had DirecTV and then switched to Dish when I upgraded to HD. The upgrade cost with DirecTV (new dish, receivers) was much more than becoming a new Dish customer and getting an HD DVR for free.

I think Dish offers better equipment. The only problem I ever had with DirecTV was that some of my programs did not record on my DVR. I have never had that problem with Dish. My Vip722 Dish DVR has a TV2 output, where I can watch another show in SD on a second TV. DirecTV is now developing this multi-room viewing option, but I believe there is going to be a fee for it. There are no fees associated with this TV2 output feature on Dish. This saves money every month since you do not have to add an additional receiver to your other TVs.

Another benefit of the equipment on Dish is that many receivers have an ATSC tuner. You can easily plug an antenna in and view/record OTA programs on your Dish receiver. With DirecTV, you must purchase an add-on ATSC tuner, which I believe costs about $50. On a related note, you do not have to subscribe to local channels through Dish, which saves $5/month. From what I've been able to figure out, DirecTV does not give you that option. They advertise the locals as "free", but are they really?

As for programming, both companies offer similar packages. One has some channels the other may not. If you're a sports fan, the most notable channels are MLB Network, Versus, and NFL Sunday Ticket. Dish does not carry MLB and NFL Sunday Ticket, but DirecTV does not carry Versus.

I would suggest determing what equipment/package you would want from each company. Determine the price of each, compare channels, and also consider what the current offer is. Both companies usually offer movie channels for free for a few months.

You can't go wrong with either company. It all depends on what channels and equipment you want. Which ever one you choose, either service is a MUCH BETTER OPTION THAN CABLE!

Stanley Kritzik

Why? 'cause I've had it for over ten years, with few problems.  I'm looking forward to MRV which is available as a beta now; their new satellite is up -- not yet in position -- and soon, there will be more HD channels available than we have eyeballs for.  Also, for those who want it, 3D is coming, too.

I just like what I get, and I think their direction is sound.

Stan

Chinatown

Is one more addition that Dish has and Direct does not. It is part of their Sports Pack. It adds $5.95 extra. If you are not familiar with it I have pasted the website.

http://redzonetv.nfl.com/

It starts programming at noon on Sunday and concludes when all the games have ended, around 6:30. The best part, for me at least, is implementing the PIP feature on the VIP 622/722, with the receiver in single mode. This allows you to watch the Packer game, on the bulk of the screen with the red zone tucked away in whatever corner you choose, or split screen. When the Packer game goes to commercial, just flip the settings till the adds end, and then flip back. The only problem is making sure you have visited the facility before noon, as the red zone is commercial free.  Of course you can always rewind if nature can't wait.  

No it's not the whole game, but for $6.00, it is hard to beat.

zoothorn

That certainly sounds interesting Chinatown.  Didn't see any pricing on the web site. Is that $6 a month or $6 a Sunday or what?

Thanks.

Zoot.

AndrewP

I also had both, Dish for 6 years and now DirecTV for 2 years.
DirecTV wins for me and not only because of Sunday ticket, but it is also less expensive in my case.
I had with Dish and DirecTV everything pack, 1 HDDVR receiver with Dish, two HDDVRs with DirecTV. Total price with all fees is actually less with DirecTV. For less priced packages, however, Dish can be lesss expensive.
Pricing will change in Feb - March. We'll see who wins later in that area.
The most over-rated feature on Dish in dual output on HDDVR. The reason is that the second output is SD only, and it it is worhless for me. And two HDDVRs with DirecTV provide more inputs for a less receivers fees. I always laugh when somebody trying to manifest that Dish feature.
I found HD picture quality on DirecTV better also.

Chinatown

Quote from: zoothorn;54790That certainly sounds interesting Chinatown.  Didn't see any pricing on the web site. Is that $6 a month or $6 a Sunday or what?

Thanks.

Zoot.

$6.00 a month.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/sports/default.aspx

It's the 4th item on the list

troyriley

Quote from: AndrewP;54796The most over-rated feature on Dish in dual output on HDDVR. The reason is that the second output is SD only, and it it is worhless for me. And two HDDVRs with DirecTV provide more inputs for a less receivers fees. I always laugh when somebody trying to manifest that Dish feature.
I found HD picture quality on DirecTV better also.

It's kind of rude for you to laugh at those of us who only have one HDTV (for now). I have a one-year old and can't exactly afford to run out and buy a second HDTV. Diapers are more of a priority and I have to save money where I can. You must realize that the second output, although SD, is a great benefit to many of us Dish customers, and it saves money each month. It may be worthless for you, but it's great for a lot of other people. When I invest in a second HDTV, I will re-evaluate and may end up switching back to DirecTV. For now though, that standard definition TV2 output is very beneficial.

AndrewP

You just did not understand that I am laughing exactly at the point you are trying to make, that the second SD output is somehow saving money: It is not:D
You have a fee for the receiver, so it is not free. With D* first receiver is free, second receiver has a fee, and combined fees for two HD DVRS from DirecTV are less then fees from Dish for one HDDVR.
That is why I am laughing: it is not saving you money, or get you more for the money then two DirecTV DVRs.;)

troyriley

Quote from: AndrewP;54826You just did not understand that I am laughing exactly at the point you are trying to make, that the second SD output is somehow saving money: It is not:D
You have a fee for the receiver, so it is not free. With D* first receiver is free, second receiver has a fee, and combined fees for two HD DVRS from DirecTV are less then fees from Dish for one HDDVR.
That is why I am laughing: it is not saving you money, or get you more for the money then two DirecTV DVRs.;)

I apologize if I wasn't clear. We have different setups. You have two HDTVs and I have one. I've done the math for my setup, and that TV2 output saves me money. I am wondering what this fee for the receiver is that you insist I have is. As with DirecTV, the first Dish receiver is free and additional receivers carry a fee. That's my point. I don't need an additional reciever. I am, however, happy that you are able to save money with DirecTV with two HDTVs. I will remember that when I invest in a second one and I appreciate your advice.