News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Dish or Direct?

Started by zoothorn, Saturday Jan 30, 2010, 10:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoothorn

Ok, I know there must be fans of each...and maybe some that have had both at one time or another. I'm thinking its time to stop paying TWC full dollar and take advantage of the introductory offer for one of the DBS companies for awhile.

Which way should I go...Dish or DirecTV?

I have two HD TVs so will need two STB. I'll want HD and DVR service. Won't get any premiums and will likely take the lowest package available that includes MSNBC and Comedy Central. I also wouldn't mind adding OTA rather than paying extra for that every month.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Zoot.

Ralph Kramden

I've had both and I prefer Dish, mainly for price. I have the Dish HD Absolute package. I don't know if they offer it anymore though. At the time, Direct didn't have an "HD only" package. I don't have a DVR. I lease two 211 receivers. The only negative with Dish is you can't get the NFL package(if you care about that). Dish usually has great deals for new customers. And my OTA antenna plugs into the back of the 211 receivers.

klwillis45

Dish & Direct both have new HD-DVRs due out shortly so you may wanna delay for a little bit.

budda

I would go with Dish have had both. As started before unless you want NFL ticket then Direct is your only option. Based on what you want to do I would ask for two  DVR VIP722 receivers dual tuner. Also like stated a new receiver is coming out the VIP922 witch has a built in Slingbox. If you have no need for that I wouldn't wait also there are always bugs in new receivers that might sour your experience if that is what you start with.:rock:JMO

Nels Harvey

I'm very happy with Dish.  I have a VIP 722 and a VIP 612 DVR.  I have the 722 on a 40 inch Sony, and route the SD output to all of my old analog receivers on Ch. 3.  The 612 is on a 60 inch Hitachi.  

The 612 only has one output, HD, but it will record two programs while watching one of them, or a previously recorded show.  There is a little more flexibility with the 722, but like the 612, there are options.

I purchased several UHF remote controls from eBay, and have one at each SD TV, so I can control the SD output on Ch. 3 from the 722.

It was tricky programming the two DVRs with the UHF remotes, but the Dish telephone assistance walked me through the necessary steps.  I have found telephone assistance to be very good, and am pleased with their service.

The installation was done very well, and I have had very few outages.  Short outages from heavy thunderstorms only last a few minutes, and while annoying, really amount to very little time overall.

Too much snow will block the signal at times, but I have had the system for five years, and never needed to clean out the dishes (I have two dishes, one for HD).  I thought the very wet snow we had in December would need to be swept out of the dishes, but they cleared by themselves with no problem.

After reading of everyone's problems with TW, and their receivers, I am very glad I have Dish Network.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

jkane

Dish has been consistently cheaper.  Customer Service sucks from time to time on both.   Sports are consistently better on DTV.

Don't wait for the VIp922.  You will wait for ever, and it may never show up.  It has been coming any month now for over a year.  Give up on it!  Get a stand alone sling box if you need that feature.  Sounds like you don't.  Besides, the last reviews of the 922 said that it only had UHF remote capabilities.  Which meas that a common remote for all your HT like the very popular Harmony won't work since they only do IR.  If that ends up being true, the device is doomed since Dish is not known for their great support of other devices with their "not-so-universal" (R) remote.

ddeerrff

Perhaps it's not really fair, because it is only a sample of one, but..

I was recently out in Arizona visiting family.  They had Dish, apparently a very basic version (Bronze 200 or 250?).  Looking at the program guide, there were multiple duplications of programs.  Out of those 200 or 250 advertised channels, there were perhaps 60 unique programs.  And no apparent organization to the guide at all.  A number of the channels I'm used to getting with basic analog cable service (ch 2-99) were not available on their Dish setup.

I was not impressed at all.

Talos4

While I will alway's promote D*.

I have to say that TWC's outage commercials make me laugh.

Not one second of pixelation or LOS.

Take that TWC!

basshive

If MRV is important you, D* is the answer. The beta is rolling out nationally now and should be a normal fixture of D* service in a few months.  I think D* is pulling away from Dish and Dish continues to hemorage customers year after year.

MRV = Multi-room viewing/recording. Record in one room, watch in others, vice versa..
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

jeffski

Quote from: Talos4;54726While I will alway's promote D*.

I have to say that TWC's outage commercials make me laugh.

Not one second of pixelation or LOS.

Take that TWC![/QUOTE
 I've had DTV for 6 months now. The only loss of signal Ive had was during a heavy storm late last summer. Have yet to lose signal this winter,even in the heavy,wet snow we had in early Dec.and didn't even need to clean off the dish. TWC continues to grasp for straws.

zoothorn

I'd have to say given that response that Dish seems to have the advantage...or maybe at least the more dedicated fans!

I'm not likely to pay extra for the NFL so I'm not too concerned about that. And I don't really need MVR (but doesn't Dish already have that)?

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm going to price out exactly with Dish will cost me... I'm assuming when I call TWC they are going to start cutting deals to keep me but unless they come up with something ridiculously cheap...I think I'm on my way out.

Zoot.

kevbeck122

When we had that storm in January mine went out because of a big pile of snow on the dish.  You can use non-stick cooking spray on the dish to prevent that, supposedly.  

I went with DirecTV because Dish installers didn't want to install at my condo.  I like the DirecTV guide better, but I guess Dish's receivers don't have the lag that DirecTV receivers have.  I suggest going with a morning install if you can.  When I tried to get Dish, I took the afternoon off at work (12-5 install window) and they didn't come until after 5.  I'm sure that was part of the reason they didn't want to install.

Dish has a form of MRV, but you can only have SD on the 2nd TV.  For MRV be sure to get the 722 DVR.

budda

Quote from: ddeerrff;54725Perhaps it's not really fair, because it is only a sample of one, but..

I was recently out in Arizona visiting family.  They had Dish, apparently a very basic version (Bronze 200 or 250?).  Looking at the program guide, there were multiple duplications of programs.  Out of those 200 or 250 advertised channels, there were perhaps 60 unique programs.  And no apparent organization to the guide at all.  A number of the channels I'm used to getting with basic analog cable service (ch 2-99) were not available on their Dish setup.

I was not impressed at all.

Duplications of programs are SD then HD, same channel. You would modify your guide to rid of junk.

budda

hxxp://www.direct-vs-dish.com/  Replace xx with tt. Make up your own mind. But keep looking for info. Also when you see a per complain. I have found with most reviews of anything. the failure of a product or service can the it's fault. But seems to be a costomers misunderstanding of what they bought or lack the of. Peace