News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Comcast send QAM signals?

Started by zoothorn, Monday Jun 23, 2008, 09:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoothorn

Does anyone know if our neighbors to the south can get some HDTV channels off a standard analog subscription like we can here with TWC if you have a TV with QAM tuner?

Girlfriend to the south is considering a new TV and while she doesn't have digital cable, if she could get some HDTV by getting a set with QAM tuner that would be a big plus. I tried to check out the Comcast web site but that capability isn't really something they'd advertise...

Thanks!

Zoot

GWiz

I live in suburban Chicago and subscribe to Comcast's Basic service.

If you visit their channel lineup website (http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineupPopup.ashx), and select HDTV service (which is NOT what I have); you'll see a note that say "HD channels 183, 184, 187-192 are available with basic service". You will also see another note that says "HDTV equipment is needed to receive high definition programming".

I have an HDTV with a QAM tuner hooked up to my cable. I get all the local HD stations as listed in their channel lineup. BUT, occasionally my HD signal strength is low and I am unable to get ABC-HD. I just had a technician to my home this weekend. Comcast wants you to rent their HD box for $7/month. If you do not, they will use that as an excuse as to why your signal is low and will do nothing to resolve the issue.

Comcast DOES like to keep this a secret. When I called to set up this service call, the tech told me that there is no way I can receive an HD channel without their converter box. Either she was lying or ignorant.

Most people I talk to get a blank look on their face when I mention a QAM tuner. This includes salespeople at electronics stores that sell this equipment.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

zoothorn

Thanks GWiz, that does help. And I appreciate you taking the time to sign up in order to respond.

I did see that but I wasn't sure if 'basic service' meant their 'basic' digital service or the analog service I'm talking about. Just to be clear, we are talking about the analog service on which you can get channels 1 to 99. No Digital Cable service, no cable box in sight.

Given that's the case that's great news. I was hoping  that was the case but am glad to confirm. Sounds like I'm that much closer to going to pick out a new TV. Can't beat that kind of fun!!

Thanks again,

Zoot.

zoothorn

Btw, my guess is the service rep was ignorant... ;)

GWiz

Basic service for me means $15.99/month for channels 1-35, and no cable box anywhere as I refuse to pay comcast another $7/month for that when my built-in QAM tuner does the same thing for free.

zoothorn

That is, indeed, basic. That means I'll be good. Thanks much.