News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DirecTV Adding Milwaukee HD in April

Started by Youth Minister, Wednesday Feb 22, 2006, 03:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youth Minister

DIRECTV Announces Next 24 Markets to Receive High-Definition Local Channels in Spring 2006; Local HD Markets Will Total 36, Representing More Than 58 Percent of U.S. Television Homes
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 22, 2006--Continuing to widely expand its local high-definition (HD) programming services, DIRECTV, Inc. (NYSE: DTV), the nation's leading digital television service provider, today named the next 24 U.S. markets that will receive local HD programming.

Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Customers with the appropriate DIRECTV HD receiving equipment, who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels, will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

The 24 local markets to receive HD programming include:

Baltimore                        Minneapolis, Minn.
       Birmingham, Ala.                 Nashville, Tenn.
       Charlotte, N.C.                  Orlando, Fla.
       Cleveland                        Phoenix
       Columbus, Ohio                   Pittsburgh
       Denver                           Raleigh, N.C.
       Fresno, Calif.                   Sacramento, Calif.
       Hartford, Conn.                  Salt Lake City
       Indianapolis                     San Diego
       Kansas City, Mo./Kan.            Seattle
       Miami                            St Louis, Mo.
       Milwaukee, Wisc.                 West Palm Beach, Fla.

"The expansion of local HD programming is one of the cornerstones of our brand strategy to provide the best entertainment experience for DIRECTV's customers and sets us apart from our competition," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, DIRECTV, Inc. "With the rollout of 24 new local HD markets, we will offer access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD programming to 58 percent of U.S. television homes. We expect to expand our HD local coverage to even more markets later this year."

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 141 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as 12 HD local channel markets, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa and Washington, D.C. With the launch of two new satellites -- DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 -- in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

All DIRECTV local HD programming is being transmitted via MPEG-4 AVC, the new standard in digital video compression and advanced modulation that more than doubles the efficiency of DIRECTV's capacity.

Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing the new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations and Ka-band signals. Through Feb. 28, DIRECTV is offering new and existing customers a $200 mail-in rebate on the purchase of a DIRECTV HD Receiver. (Limit one rebate per account.) Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, and through DIRECTV.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service provider with more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSE: DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment services. DIRECTV is approximately 34 percent owned by News Corporation.

Robert Mercer, 310-726-4683
rgmercer@directv.com

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

Tom Snyder

Good to know...  so does anyone know for cretain if the HD locals here will require a second dish, or will it just use a single 5 lnb unit?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

sp44again

2nd dish? Better not need a 2nd dish! I'm just going to wait til the new HD DVR comes out. I'm not buying/leasing an H20 just to use MPEG4.

bubbaridesfast

The press release above states we need a H20 receiver and a dish so I bet a new dish is needed.
They got me to tweak so much with an antennea that I can't see the need for a new receiver especially if it's not equipped with an RF remote like my LG box. Plus I still want locals OTA for those rainy days when the dish goes out. Does the H20 also have an OTA receiver built in? I'm gonna have to google the H20.

Bluto

The H20 has an antenna input for digital OTA channels.  See page 18 of the H20 user guide:
http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/DIRECTV/DIRECTV_H20_UG.pdf

sp44again

Quote from: bubbaridesfastThe press release above states we need a H20 receiver and a dish so I bet a new dish is needed.

I know a new 5lnb dish is needed. Tom was saying having two dishes. According to the press release in the other thread they will also have a smaller dish to please the wife/gf.  :D

Tom Snyder

I remember reading somewhere that in some regions, the satellites for the SD, HD and HD locals were far enough apart that two dishes would be needed to hit them all.  Plausible, but probably not accurate.

But, if a 5 lnb will do the trick, then the only issue for me is PBS... I'd sure miss my SoundStage, Austin City Limits, History Detectives and Nova!   :(  

Will PBS HD ever be included?
Tom Snyder

sp44again

kjnorman

Quote from: Tom Snyderonly issue for me is PBS... I'd sure miss my SoundStage, Austin City Limits, History Detectives and Nova!   :(  

Will PBS HD ever be included?

Why would you care Tom?  Do you not get the locals OTA today?

Or would you like the MPEG4 stream for the space saving capability on a DVR.  Of course OTA is bound to look better that the Directv version....

bradsmainsite

Beginning in April of this year, DIRECTV will roll out the first of the 24 new markets, offering HD programming from the four primary broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Customers with the appropriate DIRECTV HD receiving equipment, who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels, will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

Maybe before they do this they should fix the current problems they already have
with their local channels on directv its very annoying and has been going on for about 2 months now! :bang:  (pixelation and drop out problems especially NBC)

Milwaukee12

Quote from: bradsmainsiteMaybe before they do this they should fix the current problems they already have
with their local channels on directv its very annoying and has been going on for about 2 months now! :bang:  (pixelation and drop out problems especially NBC)

Directv knows of the problem.  It's here in Milwaukee.  Go here and see all the problems people are having.  http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=56085

Tom Snyder

QuoteWhy would you care Tom? Do you not get the locals OTA today?
I do so much time shifting that I wouldn't be able to survive without HD DVR especially for locals. I didn't yet have an HD DVR for DirecTV/OTA when I switched to TWC a few months ago. I get that now via TWC, and will continue with that till we move this summer.

But we're building in Jackson, and I haven't heard anything real good about Charter Cable. So I'm still thinking about my options when we move.  I kept all my DTV boxes including my SD Tivo just in case I switch back to DTV.  I'd just need an HD DVR to replace my RCA non-dvr tuner... hope that my Radio Shack double bowtie gets me a decent signal up there, and that the HD DVR will give me the ability to do reliable season passes whether the locals are coming from DTV or OTA.
Tom Snyder

Bebop

DirecTV still does not offer a HD PVR for mpeg-4 yet.

From what I have read, it seems like D

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

DirecTV still does not offer a HD PVR for mpeg-4 yet.

From what I have read, it seems like DirecTv will start leasing all their equipment  after feb 28.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

the_heller

Hi - newbie here, just moved to Milwaukee a little over a month ago. I have an HD TiVo - it seems as though Directv will offer a replacement once it is available, but this new dish thing scares me a bit - what will the cost be for this? And will it be worth the cost? Right now I don't pay for the HD channels (I do get HBO HD since I have HBO) ... anyone feel the HD stuff is "worth" the money?

Hoping it will be an easy solution to get these HD local channels eventually, but I've had a lot of bad experience (mostly bad customer relations experiences) with Directv over the past 18 months.