News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC HD Channel questions

Started by zoothorn, Tuesday Mar 18, 2003, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoothorn

After six months with a 34XBR800 with no HD signal, I saw the thread last night that said with just basic service with Time Warner Cable (not Digital Basic but the $10 basic) I could go ask for a HDTV receiver and get the local HDs for the cost of renting the receiver ($6.95 per month). I went and picked one up this morning (everyone I spoke with started out saying I needed digital cable but when I made them check they said I could do it with just basic service).

At any rate, I'm anxiously awaiting the prime time line up tonight to see the show. Some questions though....If HBO HD or something is showing what I know to be an older movie which wasn't likely shot in HD is that what's known as Standard Definition? It has to be shot differently to truely be HD, correct? It does full the whole 16:9 screen but doesn't look as sharp as I was expecting...

Also, the WMVSHD channel ("PBS Loop") is just a black screen. To they run the loop at certain times or is something wrong with my setup??

Thanks.

Zoot.

Gregg Lengling

Can't give you an anwer about the PBS loop..but I've seen posts on here of people having specific trouble with the PBS channel on TWC.

Regarding HD movies.....No a movie doesn't have to be shot in HD to be sent out in HD.  Film in theory is HD....it's the changeover to Video Tape that brews the problem.  Some movies were only transferred over to 480i format....mostly older ones.  HDNET has been retransferring all the old Hogan's Hero's tv show that was filmed and are now airing them.

The biggest problem you are seeing is probably you feel the picture is rather grainy.  If you are getting a full 16:9 display on the HD movie channel..the movie is in HD...however here is why it appears grainy.

#1  It was intentionally filmed that way by the Director...for artistic effect....go figure.

#2 and most often the case.......Movies are shot at 24fps (frames per second).....1080i HD is 30 fps and 720p and 480p are 60fps...so there are problems with transfering the material....thereby you see the problems.  Most noticeably...watch a flag on an HD movie...the edges get jagged....this is being fixed in a lot of DVD players (especially Panasonic) with a Chipset called the Farouda.  It does de-interlacing to remove the lines.  

The best sets that account for this problem already (regarding DVD's) are RCA and a couple others that actually upscale 480p to 540p.

So other than the PBS problem....sounds like you are going to have fun tonight...so sit back and enjoy.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

zoothorn

Thanks for the info Gregg....

If anyone else knows the story on the PBS loop on TWC, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I'd search the archieves but you have to have four characters so I can't use TWC or PBS!:(

Thanks again,

Zoot

Todd Wiedemann

Zoot -

You raised a vaild point about searching. I've changed the search definition to allow three character searching.

It makes sense, considering ABC, TWC, FOX etc ...

zoothorn

Hey great, thanks! I didn't know that was something that could be tweaked so easily.

And for the record, Gregg pointed me to the thread on TWC and the PBS loop and it was mentioned that it may have something to do with the splits in the cable feed. I had just hooked this up so did it a lazy way that got me the signal but not so direct. I went down to the basement and hooked it up more directly and PBS now comes in fine.

Thanks everyone, this is a great resource!

Zoot.

mhz40

This can be a problem on digital self installs, since a tech is not available to verify levels and QC passive devices within the house.
The PBS HD signal is on one of the highest RF carriers on the cable system.  High frequency RF carriers incur more loss over a given length of cable than do lower ones.
If you are missing channels 551-554 as well, you likely have a signal problem in or to your home.  If 551-554 are perfect , the lack of 510 is likely not signal level related.
Blindly adding an amplifier is not recommended.
At best, you can verify any splitters in your home are at least 5-750MHz.  Usually they are clearly labeled.  5MHz-1GHz are what is normally installed by TW.  If they are 400MHz or 600MHz splitters (originally installed before the last upgrade), they will attenuate signals above the respective cutoff frequencies and must be replaced.  Radio Shack, Bogen, Weingard, yada yada are not recommended.  I suggest you setup a service call to rectify the problem.

MHz40

zoothorn

I think I'm good. The PBS loop comes in fine and 551-554 look just fine to me as well.

I will check whatever splitters I have and see that I'm not losing anything there.

Thanks.