News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Seeking Antenna advice for Franksville

Started by Jeffbyk, Monday Mar 18, 2002, 05:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffbyk

Hi folks!

I've been reading all of the posts here since this site originated and have found it to be very informational (especially with Jim Halls participation – thanks Jim!).  I especially like the local flavor to the problems people are working through and hope I can use the information to ward off any issues I might encounter.

I am about to get myself HDTV capable by adding a Hughes E86 receiver/dish combo to my Pioneer Pro-510HD TV.  I am most interested in the OTA signals and feel that I could get the Milwaukee stations and possibly some of the Chicago stations from my location (Franksville, which is approx. 10 mi south of Oak Creek.)

I have a ranch home with nothing but a flat farm field directly north of me (which is where AntennaWeb says I need to point my antenna.)  Although I don't have access to a topographical map of the area, I believe Franksville is reasonably high compared to other parts of Racine County.

In talking with a friend who knows his antennas, he is recommending I install the following:

Winegard Chromstar 2000 HD8200
Winegard AP8275 Preamplifier
AR40 Rotor
RT832 Glenn Martin 8' Tripod

I may try the RS Bowtie before I make the investment in what seems like the crème of the crop.  Although, based on the trouble that Rnelson has been having in Waterford, I would think that I will have to go with the Winegard or similar setup on the roof since I really want to get CBS58.

I would appreciate any advice anyone else has to offer on either the antenna setup or the Hughes E86.

Thanks,

Jeff

rnelson

I live in Waterford and spent all day Saturday working with my nephew and Brother in Law putting up a roof antenna.

I installed a CM3671 Antenna, CM9521A Rotor, CM7777 Pre-Amp,10ft Tripod on a Single Story Home.

I now get a signal strength of 95 on 4-1, 89 on 1-1.  I get reading of around 50 on the Chicago DT stations.  I was using a RS antenna inside the garage before but I couldn't get 1-1 at all.

Saturday night I was watching the James Bond movie on 7-1 (dd5.1) for about a half hour.  Wasn't bad but had too much break up.  Changed to 32-1 (Fox).  Although it wasn't HD, the picture was very clear and almost no break up.  Very Watchable. If that's an indication as to what we can expect from tv6 when they go digital, things will be ok even if they don't support HDTV, the picture is better than what we've been getting.  I was very impressed as to how watchable it is even though i'm 70+ miles away.

I'm sure you're winegard is fine, however I chose CM.

When you put it up, don't forget the details.  Earth Ground Rod, Copper grounding Cable, guide wires etc.  Protect your equiptment.

Roy

Gregg Lengling

Jeff,  I'd be very careful using a preamp.  You could be causing yourself problems.  It is better to start without the preamp and see what signal levels you have.  Then if you have a problem you can add the preamp, but in most cases you won't need it and if you do make sure the gain is adjustable so you don't distort or compress signals.  A preamp will also amplify noise and unwanted signals.  I live in Cedarburg and use an outdoor antenna with RG58 and no preamp.  I feed a 4 port splitter to feed all the tv's in my house, so the total run to the HDTV set is over 100 feet and I have no problems.  I recieve WTMJ-DT with signal at 87, WMVS-DT with signal at 84 and WDJT-TV with a signal of 81.  Also have no problem with some of the weaker analogue stations such as 41, 49, 55, ect.

------------------
Gregg R. Lengling
RCA P61310 61' 16/9
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

johnd

Hello Roy (rnelson),

What do you use to check the signal strength of a channel?  Is it on your reciever, or some piece of equipment that you bought?

John D.

tenth_t2

I do believe it's in his set.  I'm curious why you ask though.  I've been contemplating options for quantifying signal strength at various locations.  In my mind, the problem is what does a Panasonic STB signal strength of 88 mean?  88 what?

I'm narrowing down the list of test equipment a bit.  Maybe make a portable rig in the near future for site assessments.

Greg O.

rnelson

I have it built into my set.  But only for Digital Channels.

Roy

QuoteOriginally posted by johnd:
Hello Roy (rnelson),

What do you use to check the signal strength of a channel?  Is it on your reciever, or some piece of equipment that you bought?

John D.

Jeffbyk

Thanks for the input guys!

I plan to do this thing in an iterative process and my "consultant" is very particular about doing it right (grounding rods, etc.)

After hearing Jim Hall say tonight that they are broadcasting at 11Kwatts with someone in Illinois receiving the signal well, I am not too concerned about getting good reception.  But then again, this RF stuff is black magic and each situation is different.

I will keep you posted on my success.  (thinking positively  

Need some more advice on STB, so I'll repost in the hardware section.