News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NCAA on 58

Started by David Hendrickson, Friday Mar 15, 2002, 04:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hendrickson

I got home from work and thought I would turn on ch. 58 to see if they had a NCAA game on in HD. UConn vs Hampton - WOW. I have been watching a replay of a woman's Ivy League game on hdnet for quite some time, and wondering what an NCAA game would look like. There is no other way to watch sports. The only negative is the non-hd games are really going to look bad. And this with a $20 RS double bow tie antenna I thought I would try. Some serious antenna shopping will now commence. If I can get this good of a picture in the Town of Waukesha, with that antenna on top of my set - I can't imagine how much better it will be with a bigger antenna on my roof.
Thanks cbs 58!!

Steve Mann

Great to hear your enjoying the NCAA in HD! It really is unbelievable to watch.  

One note... A bigger and higher antenna will not get you any better picture. With DTV (Digital TV) you either have a picture or you don't. If you receive the channel, you're getting the best picture. I bigger or higher antenna will only help you receive stations farther away or possibly help with stations with weaker signals or are exhibiting drop outs. If any of these situations exist, you might want to try a different antenna. Otherwise, if you're receiving all the channels that are transmitting in the area, you should relax and enjoy.  
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Kevin Arnold

Whats with the sound during the Wisconsin game.  It seems to fade in and out.  Anyone else notice this.  PQ is great though.
Kevin Arnold

tenth_t2

I noticed that as well, so during a break I switched to the CBS afilliate in Madison, and it was about the same, so maybe it was in their feed?

From what I've noticed, sound seems to start breaking up (actually changing modes from DD 5.1, then to ProLogic, then just stereo) just before I see picture imperfections.  My Sony receiver seems to delay sound channel switching, so you hear a 1-2 second interruption of the sound.  I suppose if I left the TV speakers on....

Greg O.

sp44

I was watching Duke vs ND on ch 1.1 and it cut out completely. I changed to 1.3 and it was on but not in 1080. I have the bars on the sides. Any thoughts?

JimHall

QuoteOriginally posted by sp44:
I was watching Duke vs ND on ch 1.1 and it cut out completely. I changed to 1.3 and it was on but not in 1080. I have the bars on the sides. Any thoughts?

From CBS-58...We are setting up for the aftenoons multi-cast of the NCAA games.  The games will be similar until the rest of the regional sites start playing.  You will find games on 1.2  1.3  1.4  1.5  when the sites are playing.  If they are not the channels may be black.   1.1 will be black today during the games.

The game you were watching/Duke & ND was not a true HD broadcast. While its was on our HD channel 1.1, was an upconverted format.

True HD games will be on Sunday.

The District will be in HD tonight on 1.1
CBS-58

[This message has been edited by JimHall (edited 03-16-2002).]

Joseph S

QuoteFrom CBS-58...We are setting up for the aftenoons multi-cast of the NCAA games. The games will be similar until the rest of the regional sites start playing. You will find games on 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 when the sites are playing. If they are not the channels may be black. 1.1 will be black today during the games.

The game you were watching/Duke & ND was not a true HD broadcast. While its was on our HD channel 1.1, was an upconverted format.

Please, do yourself a favor. If you decide to do this, drive into Milwaukee and see how atrocious the upconverted multicast looks. The Thursday games were in slow motion and pixelation was terrible. It is unwatchable.

Tom Snyder

I was popping back and forth yesterday, and I honestly couldn't see a difference between the multicast games and the main game being broadcast on 58 on DirecTV. That either says something good about the multicast, or something bad about DirecTV.  
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

sp44

I'm still not getting 1080 today, I have the black bars on 1.1. Is their a certain time it clicks into 1080?

sp44

Nevermind, I saw Tom's post.

tenth_t2

If I missed this somewhere else, sorry.  Only selected games are in HD, and it's based on the arena having the equipment.  I read on the avsforum which arenas had it.  Washington DC was one, don't remember the other.

But the Badger game was great Friday night, looking forward to an encore later this afternoon!

Greg O.

sp44

This sucks, the Illinois/Creighton game is not in HD either.

Matt Heebner

I sure HOPE that the Badgers game is HD as I am having a few brothers-in-law over for it, As much as I hype Hd programming, it would be a damn shame not to have it in HD for this game!!

Matt

MesaV

To me, and maybe that's why I like HDNet, HD should be 1080i 16x9.  Todays games so far have been 1080i 4x3, not what I would call HD.  Any comments.

Tom Snyder

I missed the early game, but got home in time to see most of the UW/Maryland blow out in glorious 16:9 1080i...

Even now that that game is over, and they've gone to the Southern ILL/UGA game which is not in HD, I'm watching an SD game with graphics in the side bars to fill the 16:9 space.

[This message has been edited by Tom Snyder (edited 03-17-2002).]
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org