News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Question for 58's Mr. Hall

Started by mcneguy, Sunday Mar 17, 2002, 03:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcneguy

What are the chances of TWC carrying your digital channel on their system.  Those of us with the HD cable box can't wait to find out and nobody at TWC even knows what HD is it seems.

Tom Snyder

The news in the chat the other night was that TWC has a hard feed of CBS58's digital signal. That would make it look like it's entirely Time Warner's decision not to carry it.

However, past experience with CBS58 being the last of the major affiliates to get carried on DirecTV's local channel package because of protracted negotiations, along with Jim's elusive non-answer to the question (go back and re-read the chat transcript) should alert us to the fact that there may issues here that we're not aware of.

I'm not saying that to be critical of Jim or CBS58. If he's looking for a fair deal, or if TW is jerking him around, he has a right to play hardball. And we can help him negotiate from a stronger position by making it our responsibility to apply that pressure.

Even if you're not a TW subscriber, it is in our best interest for TW to supply the maximum amount of HDTV programming as possible. TW potentially gets Joe Sixpack HD without having to buy a Set-top box. The more content there is available at the lowest possible cost, the more sets get sold.

The chicken and the egg argument is a cop-out, and we need to start hatching some chickens.

Tom Sharrard had at least marginal interest in HD. He just retired, and his replacement is still getting up to speed. We need to find out who that person is, and how to contact them... couldn't find it at JSOnline or Business Journal.

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

SugarRay

Maybe we could model a letter simular to what 58 did on their web site to petition Time Warner to carry CH 41.  

Question - Doen't we have the same issue with Direct TV. They are only carrying about 3 HDTV stations correct? (HDHBO, HDNET, HD Showtime) Does anybody know when Direct TV is going to carry the local HD channels?  I would guess that competition would be the fastest way to get HD reception other than OTA.  Once TW or Direct TV starts, the other will have to follow to keep up.

Tom Snyder

QuoteDon't we have the same issue with Direct TV.

Yup, and Dish as well

QuoteThey are only carrying about 3 HDTV stations correct? (HDHBO, HDNET, HD Showtime)

DirecTV has 2 HBO and HDNet.. no Showtime yet.

QuoteDoes anybody know when Direct TV is going to carry the local HD channels?

They had a hard enough time digging up the bandwidth to carry the local non-digital feeds. Gonna have to finda lot more to do the digitals. It will be a long time before we see HD locals on the satellites.

QuoteI would guess that competition would be the fastest way to get HD reception other than OTA. Once TW or Direct TV starts, the other will have to follow to keep up.

As opposed to trying to get DirecTV (who doesn't even reply to our emails) to find a way, and then hope that TW will follow (how many years will that whol eproces take?),I'd put my money on a local effort to get TW to pop first.

BTW... don't forget: TW needs some pressure to pass thru WTMJ digital as well....
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

MesaV

I agree with you Tom.  When and if Dish and DirectTV merge, they should have excess capacity (satellites) to do local HD.  Still that would be an easy couple of years in the future.