News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Winter Vacation

Started by Gregg Lengling, Thursday Jul 01, 2004, 05:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

My buddy Jim is in town for his Winter Vacation until August...yep I said WINTER VACATION.  Jim spends our Winter his Summer at McMurdo Station in Antartica.  Over a couple beers yesterday he was telling me about the Eclipse at the pole this year.  It is the first time the US has gone to the South Pole since the 60's (and that was a military expedition).  The interesting thing was they took National Geographic down there for the express purpose of televising the eclipse.  Now I watched some of it in HD on Sat. and found it interesting, but it's even more interesting now that I know my buddy was on the trip.

He said he won't being doing that again.....a 250 mile trip over ice at 5mph is no fun in a caravan of diesel rigs (hauling trailers of equipment and fuel).  BTW yes all the rigs have preheaters and because of the temperatures down there they use AvGas which is basically almost a perfectly clean Kerosene the same as is used in Jet Aircraft.  When he gets a chance he's going to give me a disc with a ton of pictures of the expedition and I'll post them to my picture site and put a link here.  

So until August when Jim has to head to Boulder for 2 weeks retraining and then a flight to New Zealand for a few weeks of getting ready to fly to McMurdo....we'll be sitting around drinking Guiness.

Cheers.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}