News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Tips & Tweaks for Sony SXRD (KDS-R50XBR1/R60XBR1)

Started by Mark Strube, Friday Dec 02, 2005, 11:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul S.

Quote from: Mark StrubeI'll be interested to see how these settings work out for others once they get their SXRD's.

Well, after I do mine, you're welcome to come over to take a peek. Or, if you want, we can do this together. Eliab kinda taught me to have a trained eye. I just wish I had his 5 million dollar equipment.

Paul S.

Quote from: gparrisThanks, Paul S...I knew you'd keep that set.

You know, that is why more households are becoming 2-HDTV-set ones.
It keeps the peace when you both want to watch different HD programmes.

Make sure Heather gets to watch it with some surround sound, too, unless that
is what she doesn't care much for, though the lady I know wants even more power on her amps
(Sony ES-series A/V receiver). :D

Will you post any pictures like you did before with the new SXRD as time permits? :)

Nope, it's gonna be SD. We can't afford another box! Oh yes, there will be pics!

Mark Strube

I've found one use for the Black Corrector... put it on High when watching FOX6 upscale (non-HD) picture. :D

Paul S.

Have you tried to mess with the service menu yet for some real tweaking? I need to get a hold of a service manual for this baby.

I seriously cannot wait for some hardcore SM tweaks, but for now I'll try yours (well, on Thursday anyways).

The red push is icky.

Mark Strube

Nah, I don't like to mess with service menus unless I've got some definite tweaks and there's a way to reset to defaults. Feel free to let us know!

Mark Strube

At this point I can't decide whether I like Neutral or Warm color temp. better... I realize Warm is the NTSC Standard, but Neutral seems to remove the red push without affecting skin tones. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: I guess for now I'll stick with Warm with the White Balance tweaks.

Paul S.

Quote from: Mark StrubeAt this point I can't decide whether I like Neutral or Warm color temp. better... I realize Warm is the NTSC Standard, but Neutral seems to remove the red push without affecting skin tones. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: I guess for now I'll stick with Warm with the White Balance tweaks.

One of the threads at AVS tell you where to go in the SM to take care of the push. I'll do it tomarrow.

Paul S.

"480i/480p - it seems this television does a much better job of doing a progressive scan than your dvd player can do, so I'd highly recommend leaving your dvd player in 480i (interlaced) output mode. the hdtv tends to do a much better job of rounding out rough edges & small object detail jaggies... after all, we're talking about 720x480 pixels upscaled to 1920x1080, and they put a great upscaler in this television."

How do you know if its converting the interlaced signal to progressive?? Does it say at the top right? Does this only work if its  hdmi (my 910 is componant only)?

Mark Strube

No, this will work on any interlaced source... no matter the input. That's what CineMotion means, converting interlaced 29.97fps content to 23.976fps film content. If you change it to Mode 1 or Mode 2 which doesn't convert to film but uses a deinterlacer you'll notice a picture that isn't nearly as smooth or detailed.

If you're asking which "mode" it's in when in CineMotion, there's really no way to tell, since it's adaptive... so if you're watching something with film content it'll automatically detect that and process an inverse telecine (converting to 23.976fps)... but then if you switch to something that is fully interlaced with a video source (Curb Your Enthusiasm for example), it'll switch deinterlacing modes.

Paul S.

Quote from: Mark StrubeNo, this will work on any interlaced source... no matter the input. That's what CineMotion means, converting interlaced 29.97fps content to 23.976fps film content. If you change it to Mode 1 or Mode 2 which doesn't convert to film but uses a deinterlacer you'll notice a picture that isn't nearly as smooth or detailed.

If you're asking which "mode" it's in when in CineMotion, there's really no way to tell, since it's adaptive... so if you're watching something with film content it'll automatically detect that and process an inverse telecine (converting to 23.976fps)... but then if you switch to something that is fully interlaced with a video source (Curb Your Enthusiasm for example), it'll switch deinterlacing modes.

Whoa, thats a lot of information lol thanks!

Mark Strube

I've discovered if you enable the Advanced Iris, that almost completely removes the blue hue problem (blobs in the corners) this screen tends to have. Although then you'll notice the overall brightness changing by scene or as things move in the screen... but you get used to it fast, and I think it's worth it for the increased contrast and removal of the blue hue problem.

For now I have it set on High, I haven't really gotten a chance to truly see what the difference is between the 3 settings.

This is enabled by default if you use the Standard or Vivid settings... perhaps Sony was well aware of this problem, and expected most people to use one of those settings so they wouldn't notice the issue.

Movin2Milwaukee

Excellent info...thanks. I am moving to Milwaukee soon and will also be getting the SXRD, as I noticed the picture looked amazing in the store.

Of course, I am concerned because I keep reading about certain occurences of the 'green glob' effect. How widespread is this and should it be a real concern of mine? The salesman in Circuit City said he had never heard of it (of course, I am not counting him as a videophile or anything).

Also, all those options you tweaked in post #1...are those easy to find? Do you recommend paying someone to professionally calibrate the tv?

Paul S.

Quote from: Movin2MilwaukeeExcellent info...thanks. I am moving to Milwaukee soon and will also be getting the SXRD, as I noticed the picture looked amazing in the store.

Of course, I am concerned because I keep reading about certain occurences of the 'green glob' effect. How widespread is this and should it be a real concern of mine? The salesman in Circuit City said he had never heard of it (of course, I am not counting him as a videophile or anything).

Also, all those options you tweaked in post #1...are those easy to find? Do you recommend paying someone to professionally calibrate the tv?

The tech thats fixing my SXRD says its very common. See the 500+ thread on it at AVS lol

Mark Strube

Ohh so you had a green blob problem Paul S? I'm assuming it stayed after the screen has warmed up? I have a green blob in the center of my screen, but only for the first minute or two while it's warming up, after that it's totally gone.

I don't suppose the tech is able to fix the blue hue problems? I've found using the Advanced Iris takes care of a good amount of the blue hue issues.

gparris

Gosh, I have got to look at our forum for tweeks when I get my SXRD.

(No, Paul S., I didn't get one yet....sorry to read you had a situation...wish you luck...tell Heather I am "allowed" to get one, now.) :blush:

I am waiting for money owed me to buy mine.
Looks like Mark Strube has got the details I will need if a situation develops. :D