News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Looking For Good Antenna Installer

Started by John Polulach, Friday May 31, 2002, 07:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Polulach

Hi Gang -

I'm a long time forum reader...first time poster.  My home is at 85th and Wisconsin Ave in Wauwatosa.

This past week I got the Samsung SIR-T150 receiver (J&R Music World, $399 after rebate)and tonight I tried the RS 15-1890 indoor "Hi-Def" amplified antenna.  Unfortunately, no luck, didn't lock on to any HD stations.

Any recommendations for a good outdoor antenna installer will be appreciated.  I'm especially looking for someone with experience in HD applications.

Thanks.

John

Seleco HT 250

MesaV

Larry Neuens of Kemmers (I believe) TV in Sussex.  262 246-6495.

oflaherty

John - You might experiment without the preamp. Over on the east side my SIR-T150 seems to work a lot better when the power to the indoor antenna is unplugged.

---
Sean at TMJ

John Polulach

MesaV - Thanks for the tip on Kemmers for antenna installation.

Sean - Upon startup my SIR-T150's AIR indicator LED is amber for a few seconds, then turns red...and stays that way.  I've tried your suggestion of amp in and out, tried with the antenna near the ceiling and the floor, all directions, tried in several rooms, and the LED doesn't budge from red.  The antenna works fairly well for NTSC UHF, so I've decided that either my house is in an HD black hole or the T150 is broke.  I live in the same area as Matt H and he's had success with T150 and an indoor RS bowtie.  Some guys have all the luck!!!

John

Matt Heebner

Actually I am using the RCA DTC-100 with a RS bow-tie. I am getting great signal strengths....92 for NBC, 88 for CBS, and 80's for PBS. You are not the far from me and topography (?) shouldn't be much if any of a factor. A big roof-top antenna though should solve any issues, and you might be able to pull in Madison. I think we are just a little too north for Chicago. I have pondered getting a roof-top antenna, but the wife said absolutly not. She thinks it's bad enough with a oval dish on the house . Oh well.....

Matt

....Update...I was thinking....Childrens Hospital is probably wreaking havoc with any type of signal. More than 4 stories of pure concrete, glass and metal. A TV signal's worst nightmare! A big roof-top type might be your only solution.

[This message has been edited by Matt Heebner (edited 06-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Matt Heebner (edited 06-01-2002).]

oflaherty

John -  My SIR-T150's LED is amber for a about 10 seconds when I first turn it on. Then it goes green if there's a good signal, or red if the signal is bad.

If you want to compare, I'll lend you my T150.

By the way, what channel do you set the receiver on when you test?  I would try channel 8 for PBS.. and then 28 for WTMJ-DT.. but 28 does not sign-on until 5pm every day.
---
Sean at TMJ

John Polulach

THANKS SEAN!

I get to write the SIR-T150 For Dummies book.

I hadn't entered any channels (didn't know what they are until now) and come to think of it, I didn't do an auto scan because all I saw was that darn red "no signal" LED.

So I entered ch 8 and soon I had the eagle in the nest!

I'm getting a signal of 50 for PBS and 40 for CBS.  Not great, but I'm thrilled anyway.

Thanks to everybody for their help.

John

JimmyBond

QuoteOriginally posted by John Polulach:
I'm getting a signal of 50 for PBS and 40 for CBS.  Not great, but I'm thrilled anyway.

Actually, that's pretty good.  If you search for posts about the T150 at milwaukee HDTV and avs-forum, there has been some discussion as to the true meaning of the T150's signal strength meter.  Most believe it is just measuring the amplitude.  If you want to know if you are receiving a good signal, look at the LED.  According to samsung, if the light is green then signal is good, if light is red then signal is non-existant, if light is amber, then signal is weak.

Hope that clarifies the mystery of the SIR-T150.

------------------
JimmyBond from the Planet bminus.net

Channel Master 3671
Samsung SIR-T 150
Toshiba 50HX81