News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Added Duvetyne to my HDTV Equipment

Started by Steve Mann, Tuesday Apr 02, 2002, 11:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Mann

The subject is to make this somewhat on topic.  

Just in case anyone is interested, I finally got around to installing Duvetyne on my Mits 65908 this past weekend. It all went pretty well. Took about 2 hours and I do seem to notice better colors and richness, especially on HD channels (see, it IS on topic after all). Pictures can be seen here: http://steve-mann.com/duve.htm
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

Matt Heebner

Steve....EXCELLENT site showing step by step. I am planning on doing the "duv" before Craig comes, and I am going to use this site as a reference. I think it is actually better explained that the "Spot".

Matt

Steve Mann

Thanks, Matt. I hope the page will be of some help for you. It's a pretty easy tweak all in all once you get going. It's just a matter of being carefully around the CRTs and the mirror.

I could/should have taken some additional pictures, but I got so wrapped up in the process, I forgot all about the camera.  
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

RickNeff

I also enjoyed seeing it (as well as your home theater setup)!  I'm sure those who also want to do this might want to know how much and how thick of cloth you used.

------------------
Richard Neff
Proud Toshiba 56x81 owner!

Steve Mann

Thanks, Richard.

I ordered 6 yards of the 16 oz. 'Commando cloth'. I still have a bit left over... I would estimate that I used about 4 to 4.5 yards.

I was worried about using the heavier cloth when I ordered it, but it worked fine. It was not too heavy at all.
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

Matt Heebner

Hey Steve,
Where did you order from and for about how much? I am planning on doing this next weekend.
Thanks
Matt

Steve Mann

Hi Matt,

Grab your very own Duvetyne here: http://www.showbiz.com/duvetyne/

Looks like the price is the same as I paid, $6.10 a yard (plus shipping). It arrived promptly. It was less than five days if I rememember correctly. It came UPS Ground.

Have fun with the install!!

------------------
Steve M. Mann
Mits 65908
Panasonic TU-HDS20
Sony SAT-T60
My Home Theater
My Young DVD Collection

[This message has been edited by Steve Mann (edited 04-03-2002).]
Steve M. Mann
My Theater

Matt Heebner

Well, I ordered the Duv from the website listd above. Got it in four days. Last night I had a few hours to myself so I attempted lining my interior.
I must say that I definitly noticed a difference in contrast. Also a big plus was the immediate removal of the "halo" effect. You know when you have a bright image on a dark backgound (like end credits). Those two things made it worth the price I paid for the Duv. Colors seem just a little more vibrant, probably due to the contrast being increased. Everything is set set now for Craig Millers calibration visit.
A curious thing though. I ordered 5 yards of fabric, but i bet I didn't even use half of it. There is quite a bit left. I followed Steves website showing the installation (which was much easier than I expected). I "form" fit it to my cabinet rather than draped it so maybe thats why I have so much left over. I know Steve has a 65", where as I have only a 55". Either that or they sent me more than 5 yards.
Anyways... I want to give a BIG thumbs up to Steve for the website on the material as well as the step by step installation instructions. I actually refered to it a couple of times! Thanks a bunch!
I would recommend anyone to do this easy tweak. I think it was WAY worth it, and easier than you think.

Matt

Steve Mann

Good to hear, Matt. Glad the pics where of some help. I too believe it's well worth the price and effort. As you say, it's a pretty easy tweak.

June 14th is the big day for me with Craig. I believe you're the day before? It's getting close and I can hardly wait.  
Steve M. Mann
My Theater