News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

HD Tuner and Antenna Questions?

Started by onin2, Monday Apr 29, 2002, 07:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onin2

I guess know one understood my last post. I was looking for information about HD tuner & antenna combinations that are reasonably priced, but didn't word my query properly. So again if anyone would be so kind as to give me some suggestions, I would be appreciative. The most inexpensive terrestrial tuners I've seen are the RCA or EchoStar for around $500 or so. And from reading some of the other posts I can get an antenna from RS for under $100? Are there better tuner prices out there? Also, will I be able to pick up Chicago HD from Bay View with the RS antenna, or is that not possible with any antenna?

Just looking for some information. Thanks

Pat

I think few of us are familiar with enough brands of STBs and antennas (antennae?) to be able to give reliable advice.  Personally, I have the Samsung SIRT-150 STB with a UHF-only outdoor antenna from Radio Shack.  The Samsung was about 450 after rebate, and the antenna was under 50.  The Samsung is over-the-air only, and is well respected for it's sensitivity -- one of the best in that regard, and better than the normal Direct TV ones you see for sale -- I beieve it uses one generation newer technology.

They work well for me but I couldn't say whether they'd get Chicago from your house.

JimmyBond

I live a little south of Bay View near the airport so maybe this info will help.

I have a Samsung SIRT-150 HDTV Tuner (which I love dearly).  I paid $425 after $100 rebate.  For my antenna I put up a channel master 3671 with a channel master 9521A rotator kit.  

Antenna: http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/c1.htm

Rotator: http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/rc1.htm

When I turn my antenna towards Chicago I am able to pick up WGN(WB),FOX,NBC,PAX(Racine),and Telemundo well.  Sometimes I can get ABC if the conditions at night are just right.

------------------
JimmyBond from the Planet bminus.net

Channel Master 3671
Samsung SIR-T 150
Toshiba 50HX81

onin2

Where can I purchase a Samsung SIRT-150 HDTV Tuner here in town?

JimmyBond

I got mine from flanners.

------------------
JimmyBond from the Planet bminus.net

Channel Master 3671
Samsung SIR-T 150
Toshiba 50HX81

oflaherty

I picked up an open box T-150 at the Southridge Best Buy on Saturday. That was the last one in the store. Mayfair Best Buy was out too.
---
Sean at TMJ4